The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Performing a new trick - when? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
MikeJRogers
View Profile
Veteran user
Australia
354 Posts

Profile of MikeJRogers
I can’t remember who it was exactly that said this; it was someone from the Café though. It went like this.

“Your ready to perform a new effect when you can do it blindfolded in a fire.”

It was something along those lines. I found it quiet humorous and useful. lol.

MJ
Mike Rogers Illusion Design - Australia - http://www.mikerogers.com.au
"Nothings impossible, the impossible just takes longer" - Dan Brown novel
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Jason Fleming
View Profile
Veteran user
Marooned, Hawaii
374 Posts

Profile of Jason Fleming
When I'm not thinking about the moves anymore, just about presentation, that's when I start to think about trying it out on real live humans.
Tspall
View Profile
Regular user
Lumberton, NC
147 Posts

Profile of Tspall
It's best to be totally familiar with an effect before you present it to anyone, even a relative.

My girlfriend is my first audience. If something's wrong with the effect, she's honest about what it is. If she can't see how it's done and enjoys the routine, then I know I'm in good shape to try it out on an audience.
Smile
Tony
"It's showtime!!"
My magic blog:
http://ahora_mismo.blogspot.com/
RevJohn
View Profile
Inner circle
Oregon City Oregon, Oregon
2473 Posts

Profile of RevJohn
Here is a question that goes along with this thread. How does one choose whom they will perform for? Especially, I am thinking of the "impromptu" situations.

John
AlexWong
View Profile
Veteran user
371 Posts

Profile of AlexWong
Was it Eugene Burger who said, “Practice until you think you can perform it well, then practice another month before you do"? Well, something to that effect.

As for being 100% confident for doing a new trick a first time? I think as the thread also shows, most people probably don't feel that way. Confidence is built as it is done more and more I believe.
Koolmagic114
View Profile
Veteran user
319 Posts

Profile of Koolmagic114
For myself, I think of it like Ninja magic. Ninja's will pull a bow for 3 years before they are even given an arrow to use. I practice the moves, trick until I am comfortable to do it without thinking of what I have to do to accomplish it.

Once I have this down, (like everyone else) it is off to my first critic my wife. Now that she is becoming more knowledgeable, if I can fool her, I am past stage one.

Second part for me with her is her reaction. If I get a "hmm that's neat" then it seems I have some room to make it more appealing and interesting. (She's a tough critic and hard to impress.) If I get a response of "How did you do that? Tell me!" then, WHEW! I pass stage 2 with her. For her to want to know how it is done… then I have done something right.

Next test for me is a close friend and magic buddy who is honest enough to tell me flashes, bad technique, etc. I could better the presentation etc.

AS for being 100% ready to perform the effect, IS there ever a good time? Our practices and showing of family is usually somewhat controlled environment. You can be ready to perform the effect for strangers but out in the real performing world ANYTHING could happen which could disrupt your performance. Being able to pick yourself up from an interruption is another issue. Which comes with repetition of performing in the real world.

If you think the trick went well and got a good reaction from the spectators, then you did it right. But if you look back and think that it could of went better then your subconscious is telling you something, go back work on the trick some more. Try different things with it… outrageous or not. It may spark some other ideas, which could make the trick even more unique to you, easier, and smoother flowing for you.

When I am showing family and friends I am pretty much 100% confident. When out in front of the strangers and not knowing how they will react with interaction is always another issue.

Just be confident you can perform the moves and presentation. The rest comes with doing it over and over and over. Smile
Eddy

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Co-Creator of "TAGZ" / "Iced Over" / " TelePad" / "Penigma"
www.magicianslair.com
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Performing a new trick - when? (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL