The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricky business » » 2012 College Promo Video (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
BrianMillerMagic
View Profile
Inner circle
CT
2050 Posts

Profile of BrianMillerMagic
Quote:
On 2012-04-23 12:10, Bradacal wrote:
The only thing I can say is, why the hand held microphone neck holder? To me, it looks awkward whereas a good headset, especially a flesh tone one would look 10x better.

Thank you for this. Danny Doyle had suggested that once before, and my response is the same: My show is closer to a comedian doing a magic show than anything else. There are extended segments of pure stand-up comedy with no magic whatsoever. In order for the audience to engage with me as a comedian, it is crucial that I look/act like a comedian. So I pull the mic off the stand at the beginning of the show and use it handheld for everything possible in the show. The only time it's in my neck holder is when I require both hands for magic, which of course is most of the promo video.
tboehnlein
View Profile
Inner circle
ohio
1787 Posts

Profile of tboehnlein
"My show is closer to a comedian doing a magic show than anything else. There are extended segments of pure stand-up comedy with no magic whatsoever."

Ok so this may be why I was not moved to action,if your closer to being a comedian then why is most of your promo magic...is it possible something is lost in translation?
BrianMillerMagic
View Profile
Inner circle
CT
2050 Posts

"A comedian doing a magic show." As you noted.
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21245 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Actually I think it hits the Mark pretty well.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
tboehnlein
View Profile
Inner circle
ohio
1787 Posts

Profile of tboehnlein
OK I will shut up, I believe Danny is far better qualified then myself to critique it.
Al Angello
View Profile
Eternal Order
Collegeville, Pa. USA
11045 Posts

Profile of Al Angello
Brian
I did stand up comedy juggling before I got into kiddie magic, and I think your video was fast moving, quick witted, and contained at least two laughs per minute. IMHO I think you have a great promo video.
Al Angello The Comic Juggler/Magician
http://www.juggleral.com
http://home.comcast.net/~juggleral/
"Footprints on your ceiling are almost gone"
M Sini
View Profile
Inner circle
1359 Posts

Profile of M Sini
I found the promo video very well done and entertaining. As for the microphone issue, Jeff Hobson and many other performers use the same set up.
RobertSmith
View Profile
Veteran user
330 Posts

Profile of RobertSmith
Having had many long discussions with campus activities performers over the years, I've come to a few conclussions.

1) I don't have the time to pursue this market as a magician. The market is saturated with magic. One is more likely to find a dry spot at the bottom of the ocean than go 20 feet at NACA without seeing a magician.

2) If you're going to crack the market, do so by using your promo to appeal to an agent who would represent you. The commission you'll pay to the agent will be the fee to leverage their relationships and reputation within the market.

3) You can go it alone. Good luck with that. Not saying it can't be done. Just saying it's not likely to be done unless you have something unique to offer campus activities planners. Magic is not unique to the campus activities marketplace.
BrianMillerMagic
View Profile
Inner circle
CT
2050 Posts

Robert, you may have misunderstood. I'm a NACA college entertainer signed to Neon Entertainment. This is simply my new video for 2012. But your advice is good for those looking to try to crack the college circuit.
RobertSmith
View Profile
Veteran user
330 Posts

Profile of RobertSmith
Smack my head. I totally missed that. Sorry.

Your video is good. It's one of the few videos I've seen that show me who the performer is. If I were a buyer I could visualize where you'd work on my campus and what product I'd be getting.

Hope you have a busy 2012 schedule.

Robert
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricky business » » 2012 College Promo Video (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL