The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Books, Pamphlets & Lecture Notes » » Seven Past Midnight - A Review (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

montz
View Profile
Special user
576 Posts

Profile of montz
Hi there, I got this ebook a few days ago, and having had time to digest it and try out a few things, I offer you this review of the effects enclosed within.

Firstly, the writing style is wonderful. Anabelle writes in an amusing, chatty and informal style, superbly putting across the theory on the effects in a clear fashion.

Spell in The Box

A superb spirit writing effect. The method is very simple, and time tested, as is the effect, and together they work very well, particularly in informal situations.

The presentation is excellent, compelling to read, and yet, not a "heavy" piece. The explanation is clear (most magicians will be familiar with the principle), and the thoughts at the end include a few tips, which show if nothing else that Anabelle performs this effect, and regularly.

A very good, simple start.

Mysterious Tarot Reading

This is a standard card effect, that uses tarot cards instead, but Anabelles little touches really elevate it. I would never have performed this with playing cards, but with the Tarot, and Anabelle's patter and wording, this is a very commercial and entertaining piece that I have tried on three occasions. Each time, the effect was certainly "greater than the sum of the parts".

Anabelle's Fortune

This is Anabelle's presentation of a well known close up effect. I guess it is a nice way of getting into a reading, but as I don't do them, this is not the most interesting item for myself, personally. However, I can imagine it being of use if you do get asked to give readings.

Jack the Ripper is After Anabelle!

I certainly hope not, or I wouldn't be able to read routines like this! One of the highlights of the book for me, it was a pleasure to read. A clever method, strong effect and superbly thought out presentation make this a gem. This will take a little adapting to be as effective for a male performer, but it will certainly give you something to think about.

Jack the Ripper's Warning For Naughty Girls

Again, a Jack the Ripper effect and again, a highlight. Anabelle gets a good story and strong effect from an effect that I've had since my first magic set.

This one would be easier to adapt to a male performer, and I certainly think that a little thought would be well rewarded.

Crystal Ball Gazing #1

Like Anabelle's Fortune, this is a reading routine, and not something that I do, so my opinion is probably of little use in reviewing this item.

However, having read the script, I was impressed with how much of it seemed to relevant to me personally, and had Anabelle performed this for me, I would certainly have been impressed.

Crystal Ball Gazing #2

This is, despite the title, different from the previous effect. In this case, a spectator peers into the ball and reveals your thoughts. This is a good presentation for a classic effect, and would certainly strengthen the impact of an already strong trick.

Additional Readings

Again, I shall not offer an indepth review of these items, because I am not qualified to do so. I leave it to the reader to decide their worth.

The Dream Catcher

This effect was one that I contributed to Anabelle's booklet, and so reviewing it here would certainly be pointless, so I'll content myself with giving you the effect.

The magician hears that a child is having nightmares, so puts a dream catcher over their bed. He also shows a small glass vial, and wrapping it in a silk, instructs the child to put the package under his pillow.

The child does so, and on waking up, finds a nightmare caught in the vial, in the form of dark smoke.

Tarot - The Royal Road

This is an article by Anabelle, and would certainly be of use to anyone who doesn't use the Tarot for readings or effects - more experienced performers will find little new.

Having said that, it is well written, and easy to read, perfect for someone interested in learning the about the Tarot.

Grandpa's Penny

A bonus routine, this is another highlight for me, simple, clever and above all, very practical. This, as with all of the effects here, can be performed in informal situations without any real difficulty in terms of method or preparation - unfortunatly a rarity in bizarre magick generally.

Overall, Seven Past Midnight is a superb ebook of practical material, ideal for the beginners to bizarre magick, or those looking for something a little less stereotypical than the blood and gore usually associated with bizarre magick. Well worth the $15, in my honest opinion, and I look forward to checking out Anabelle's ideas in the future.

Seven Past Midnight is available from http://www.eyesandminds.com

Hope this helps you all

and Anabelle, keep up the good work

Regards,

Liam.

Liam.
ALEXANDRE
View Profile
Inner circle
3024 Posts

Profile of ALEXANDRE
I'll review "THE DREAM CATCHER" by Liam Montier!

I'm a big fan of Liam's "THE MARK OF THE DEVIL" and THE DREAM CATCHER is just as creative. The way it's written obviously calls for a casual performance, but with a little thought it can be presented in a couple of very effective ways.

I read BROTHER SHADOW'S full review of "SEVEN PAST MIDNIGHT" and for "THE DREAM CATCHER" he didn't think using a child would be wise ... but like I said, with some thought it can be performed very effectively a couple of different ways.

If you decide to get Anabelle's SEVEN PAST MIDNIGHT, Liam's THE DREAM CATCHER, is certainly a plus!
montz
View Profile
Special user
576 Posts

Profile of montz
Smile
Anabelle
View Profile
Special user
951 Posts

Profile of Anabelle
Smile Smile Thank you guys for the nice words.

Anabelle Smile
jbadman
View Profile
Special user
London
986 Posts

Profile of jbadman
Lots of red faces, I see!

Question - what props do the two 'Jack the Ripper' effects use ? I do like effects with 'Ripper' storylines!

Thanks,

Jamie.
http://www.underground-collective.com - check out our new DVD now!
shomemagic
View Profile
Inner circle
Missouri
2231 Posts

Profile of shomemagic
Please tell us more about the Jack The Ripper routines I like those storylines too!
Magically,

Mike King - Sho-Me Magic

You can e-mail me at: shomemagic@gmail.com
rgranville
View Profile
Elite user
Boston area
463 Posts

Profile of rgranville
The two routines are called Jack the Ripper Is after Anabelle! and Jack the Ripper's Warning for Naughty Girls. For each, you'll need an old English penny dated from when Jack was active - 1888. You'll also need a couple of standard props available from any magic dealer. It's not my place to reveal what those are, but I can say they're inexpensive and you might already have them.
Smile
Anabelle
View Profile
Special user
951 Posts

Profile of Anabelle
Actually the coin doesn't have to be from 1888 but anytime before that too, it just needs to be something he could've handled back then. At first I thought it would be hard to get these, but it was easy at a stamp and coin collector store and they are not expensive at all, like five dollars or so, I don't remember what I paid for mine anymore. And the props you need for these two routines is not at all difficult to find and like mentioned you guys might even have them already. Let me know if you have any more questions, and thank you all for being so nice to my ebook.

Anabelle Smile
montz
View Profile
Special user
576 Posts

Profile of montz
Quote:
On 2003-10-13 12:47, Anabelle wrote:
...thank you all for being so nice to my ebook.

Anabelle Smile

Lol

thank you for writing it anabelle!

Smile

Liam
Anabelle
View Profile
Special user
951 Posts

Profile of Anabelle
I want to thank you guys again for the awesome emails I've gotten about Seven Past Midnight! It has really been an incredible experience puting my thoughts out and sharing, I've even been asked for an interview! I'm looking forward to that! Thanks so much guys!

Anabelle Smile
DrDale
View Profile
New user
60 Posts

Profile of DrDale
Based on this I just bought it. Can't wait to get it Smile
Peo Olsson
View Profile
Inner circle
Stockholm, Sweden
3260 Posts

Profile of Peo Olsson
Quote:
On 2003-11-16 21:16, DrDale wrote:
Based on this I just bought it...

Same here.
This post really sparked my interest.

Peo
Pictured to the left my hero and me during FISM 2006 in Stockholm.
montz
View Profile
Special user
576 Posts

Profile of montz
Guys,

I'm sure you'll enjoy it as much as the rest of us.

Liam.
Anabelle
View Profile
Special user
951 Posts

Profile of Anabelle
Thanks Dr. Dale and Peo, I hope you guys are enjoying it! And thanks again Liam!

Anabelle Smile
loowhochan
View Profile
Regular user
Toronto, Canada
116 Posts

Profile of loowhochan
Wow, the posts have sparked my interest! I will have to check this out. Smile
Crossroads Mystic
View Profile
Elite user
Rapid City, SD
498 Posts

Profile of Crossroads Mystic
Dido...

It was a great read before turkey yesterday. Good work Anabelle. Smile When can we expect your next piece?
...from whose bourne,

no traveler returns...

Formerly Mr.Skin

facebook.com/CrossroadsMystic
Anabelle
View Profile
Special user
951 Posts

Profile of Anabelle
Thanks Mr. Skin! I'm actually trying to finish a couple of mentalism/psychic entertainment things besides all the other stuff I'm already doing, I've been real busy! Thanks for your interest in my ebook and I hope you're using all the material in it!

Anabelle Smile
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Books, Pamphlets & Lecture Notes » » Seven Past Midnight - A Review (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.05 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL