The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Hand-milling English Pennies (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

CarpetShark
View Profile
Special user
576 Posts

Profile of CarpetShark
This may sound crazy, but being new here allows one a certain leeway in 'stupid questions' Smile I'm having a little trouble hanging onto an English penny when in Down's Palm, even the Classic Palm, as the edges are smooth. Is it possible/practical to somehow roughen up the edge of a coin without making a mess of it ? Are there any other methods of increasing friction of smooth edged coins ?

The likely answer is no, suck it up and learn to deal with smooth coins! Then again, if I don't ask, I'll never know for sure Smile
Stanyon
View Profile
Inner circle
Landrum, S.C. by way of Chicago
3433 Posts

Profile of Stanyon
David Roth sells a rosin...there is violin rosin...if you can find a small packet of Bowler's rosin, applied to the edge of the coin (sparingly).
Stanyon

aka Steve Taylor

"Every move a move!"

"If you've enjoyed my performance half as much as I've enjoyed performing for you, then you've enjoyed it twice as much as me!"
Atom3339
View Profile
Inner circle
Spokane, WA
3242 Posts

Profile of Atom3339
Try some hand lotion, my friend. And keep practising.
TH

Occupy Your Dream
CarpetShark
View Profile
Special user
576 Posts

Profile of CarpetShark
Thanks for the help Stanyon, Atom, always appreciate the assistance. I have heard/read of a number of hand products,but not touching up the edges of smooth coins with rosin;brilliant idea !

Atom, your answer is what I expected to hear, but as stated, you never now till you ask. For the experience I picked up a very fine file, then tried hand-milling on both a previously milled edge - worn smooth over time, and an English penny. Results were not too bad, although I would certainly not use these for much except building up the calluses Smile

While on this subject, another newb-question: is it possible to restore some of a coin's milled edges by cleaning any gunk stuck in there ? If so, what would you recommend as a cleaning procedure, e.g. boiling, sonic bath, chemical process ?

Thanks for reading
Atom3339
View Profile
Inner circle
Spokane, WA
3242 Posts

Profile of Atom3339
Carpet, What happens after you handle coins with edges for quite awhile, it gets much easier to handle coins without edges. You're going to a lot of trouble now that you won't need to in a few weeks. Roth suggests rosin for the edges but that's mainly for handling multiple coins; for example, four coins in CP you're going to release one at a time. I learned palming with dollars, which made handling half dollar-sized coins a cinch.

Hand lotion helps. I actually use Bath And Body Works Body Lotion in a tube; various scents available. It moisturizes your hands and gives you a little stickiness too. Use a LITTLE bit---gives me the same grip as the rosin.

Hope that helps!
TH

Occupy Your Dream
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Hand-milling English Pennies (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL