The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricky business » » LinkedIn? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

magicmaninsd
View Profile
Regular user
San Diego, CA
199 Posts

Profile of magicmaninsd
Anyone here using LinkedIn? I am on it and have about 350 connections and want a more active approach to using it and would be interested in starting a thread for those who do use it successfully and what your tactics are.

One thing I've been doing is once a connection is made I receive an email that says I am connected with so and so and their email address. I then send a quick email to te thanking them for adding me. Some respond back some don't. My assumption is that since 90% of my connections are event planners they are too busy. I think a monthly "check in email" is going to help a lot, but I worry of spamming.

Josh
Blair Marshall
View Profile
Inner circle
Montreal, Canada
3661 Posts

Profile of Blair Marshall
I'm always fascinated by other magicians that want to join your Linkedin page. My page, as Josh says, is for business and my contacts. I don't see having dozens of other magicians on your page being helpful, especially when a new contact visits it to see who you are connected to.

There are also various ways that bring you to the attention of your Linkedin contacts, check out what Linkedin offers and suggests for this. You can also start to generate a "snail mail" mailing list, and a telephone contact list from your contacts.

Magician friends I steer to my FB page.

Blair
magicmaninsd
View Profile
Regular user
San Diego, CA
199 Posts

Profile of magicmaninsd
The only magician friend I have is Nash, whom I believe is a member here. Pretty much all te others are event planners.
Nash
View Profile
Inner circle
Hong Kong ~ USA
1101 Posts

Profile of Nash
LOL yup magicmaninsd, we are connected in linkedin.

I haven't used Linkedin for work yet, but recently I was told it can be a very powerful tool.
If there's a corportate planner you've been meaning to reach out to, you can check if you guys have any mutual connection. Who knows, if you politely ask your mutual connection to make an introduction, you might finally have the person's attention.

Best thing about it is -- this is free!
I teach leaders the magic of curiosity and empathetic communication. keynote Speaker | Seattle magician
magicmaninsd
View Profile
Regular user
San Diego, CA
199 Posts

Profile of magicmaninsd
Ya I like that it's free. I'm trying a new thing with not spending any money on advertising and use LinkedIn and seo, blogging, and just trying to keep my advertising dollars down.
magicmaninsd
View Profile
Regular user
San Diego, CA
199 Posts

Profile of magicmaninsd
I'm surprised no one else has chimed in. LinkedIn gives thousands of event planner an opportunity to raise their hand and connect with you as a performer. What are some ways we can make this into money? I suppose networking tactics like staying in touch, asking questions, using the groups.

Josh
amakar
View Profile
Loyal user
235 Posts

Profile of amakar
LinkedIn is a great resource for connecting with professionals, asking questions and sharing information.
There are a variety of groups that you can join...including several on entertainment and business.

If you are looking for corporate connections, LinkedIn is a useful tool.

I often use it to promote articles, ideas, and even integrate past presentations into my profile.
Since I perform part-time, my LinkedIn profile is tailored to my management job...but the concepts are the same for any business professional.

I have received job offers from LinkedIn and made a lot of good connections. Joining LinkedIn won't suddenly create an influx of magic shows....but it will open up opportunities to create relationships with people. In the groups, you have discussions which can lead to offline opportunities .

Twitter, LinkedIn, Facebook and YouTube are the main sites to focus on for social connections.....give LinkedIn a try!
Mike Maturen
View Profile
Inner circle
Michigan's Beautiful Sunrise Side
2726 Posts

Profile of Mike Maturen
I agree. I have not used LinkedIn for my Magic biz yet, but it HAS been very useful in my full-time life. I also think that Twitter, if used properly, can be very valuable. We just have to be careful not to send out tweets that nobody cares about...like we are visiting Aunt Martha, or off sick today, etc. I would use it to make new show announcements, offer specials, etc.

Same with Facebook. I ignore all the updates that tell me someone is cooking dinner, etc. Who cares? I have also learned the hard way to avoid political discussion, especially around hot-button issues like abortion, etc. Good way to turn off 50% of your market.
Mike Maturen
World of Wonder Entertainment
The Magic and Mayhem of Mike Maturen
989-335-1661
mikematuren@gmail.com

AUTHOR OF "A NEW DAWN--Weekly Wisdom From Everyday Life"

member: International Magician's Society
Donald Dunphy
View Profile
Inner circle
Victoria, BC, Canada
7565 Posts

Profile of Donald Dunphy
Mike -

Before Eric Paul passed away, he was sharing his opinions on the use of Facebook. He said that as a rule of thumb, 1 in 5 posts should be promoting your business. I've also seen other marketers teach this.

The reason for this, is if you talk about your business in every post, you come across with too many marketing messages too often, which turns off people. (I also think it sends a message that perhaps you can't balance your business with personal stuff in your life). Keep in mind that they were talking about Facebook, which is very social.

There is more than one person on Facebook, who talks about his shows or magic products in every post. It gets to be really annoying, and you eventually want to hide that person from your feed.

In get the impression that LinkedIn is different, and so I can't comment on the amount of business vs. personal shares at that site.

But for Facebook, I personally wouldn't make every post about show announcements, special offers, etc.

- Donald
Donald Dunphy is a Victoria Magician, British Columbia, Canada.
magicmaninsd
View Profile
Regular user
San Diego, CA
199 Posts

Profile of magicmaninsd
Here is what I've been doing lately with social media and what I want to do more of is making videos of short, quick tricks and performances and sending it out on YouTube then linkedin and all the others. My thought behind it is that people want to see cool videos and in the long run they will come to connect with me and the relationship will begin. The more I learn about social media the more I realize it is just a vehicle to get people to connect with you. And since I am a magician why not make cool magic videos that people would want to see. Plus it gives me an opportunity to use some of those routines I wouldn't normally use in my stage work or walk around gigs.
Mike Maturen
View Profile
Inner circle
2726 Posts

Profile of Mike Maturen
I didn't mean to imply that EVERY post should be biz-oriented (sorry if it came across that way). The point I was trying to make is, don't post every time you have to tinkle, or to tell me you are going to bed. Cool family info is always a good idea. Besides, it helps to make you a real person in the eyes of the readers who do not know you personally.

LinkedIn is VERY biz oriented...so it should be a problem there.
Mike Maturen
989-335-1661
mikematuren@gmail.com

Mike Maturen
View Profile
Inner circle
2726 Posts

Profile of Mike Maturen
Magicmaninsd: I think this is a very wise use of--especially--facebook.
Mike Maturen
989-335-1661
mikematuren@gmail.com

Donald Dunphy
View Profile
Inner circle
Victoria, BC, Canada
7565 Posts

Profile of Donald Dunphy
I think the most interesting use of youtube video by a magician on Facebook was by Eric LeClerc, and his 365 Project.

- Donald
Donald Dunphy is a Victoria Magician, British Columbia, Canada.
amakar
View Profile
Loyal user
235 Posts

Profile of amakar
LeClerc's channel is a great example of creativity and the use of YouTube!

Its definitely a good way to showcase talent across a creative project.

Andy
magicmaninsd
View Profile
Regular user
San Diego, CA
199 Posts

Profile of magicmaninsd
Very cool idea indeed! Since I don't have access to super high-quality video editing or recording equipment I think self-shooting effects will really help potential customers connect with me. Heck, it even worked with the 2 videos I have on my blog now.

Mike, I know when I start following a company on any social media outlet I enjoy hearing about their personal lives a little so I think 1 in 5 posts on any outlet should be about your services.
Nash
View Profile
Inner circle
Hong Kong ~ USA
1101 Posts

Profile of Nash
I recently went to a workshop on social media; here's an interesting tip.
For businesses that offer personal services, facebook is better; for bigger business, twitter works best.

Since I have both, I have to say I agree; my facebook fanpage has consistently receives more hits and shares than twitter.
I teach leaders the magic of curiosity and empathetic communication. keynote Speaker | Seattle magician
Promagia
View Profile
New user
34 Posts

Profile of Promagia
For me linkedin is an excellent tool for getting events. I work only in the corporate market.
Decomposed
View Profile
Eternal Order
High Desert
12059 Posts

Profile of Decomposed
I find more luck with Facebook, and Twitter as social marketing. I must be missing something with Linkedin. I am on it but just have not seen any thing come of it yet.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricky business » » LinkedIn? (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL