The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The April 2012 entrée: Doug Brewer » » Coins Across Question » » TOPIC IS LOCKED (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

MagicMason
View Profile
Loyal user
300 Posts

Profile of MagicMason
Hi Doug

I have a question about Coins Across. There are so many ways to do this. What have you learned about this trick and how has it evolved for you? In short how would you recommend approaching this trick with non-gaffed coins... with nuances that help make this an entertaining experience?

Tom
MagicMason
View Profile
Loyal user
300 Posts

Profile of MagicMason
Was my question not any good Doug? Maybe I should ask... what do you like and what do your audiences like about the coins across that you do?

thanks!

Tom
doug brewer
View Profile
V.I.P.
1142 Posts

Profile of doug brewer
Haha Tom - no I missed it! Sorry - it's a good question!

Okay, so, I started learning this effect the traditional 4 coins, no gaff method. I actually used it to get better at the Gallo Pitch, which is a move I love (and use) to this day. But it does require a table.

John Bannon has a stand-up, 3 coin version that uses a deep backclip steal that I used for awhile, but then I started to gravitate toward the shell versions (Roth's in particular). Gertner's routine, using a spectator's ring, I tried out but didn't like dropping coins on something as personal as a borrowed ring. However, I thought the routine was superior because there was the excellent transposition at the end between the last coin and the ring. I went back and forth on using this routine, then eventually thought about using a Chinese coin (or any odd coin) instead of the borrowed ring. It seems rather obvious now, but I didn't arrive at that idea right away. You then could get all the benefit of the Gertner routine without banging around a borrowed ring. Also, the transposition is a little cleaner at the end because the shell can nest over the odd coin. This is how I came around to developing the Sounds Familiar routine that is the first routine in my book, The Unexpected Visitor. I still use this routine and it's very handy in stand-up/cocktail situations. All you need is a free hand from the spectator and you are good to go.

As far as endings go, I like the last coin ending in their hand, no doubt, regardless of the routine. This is a very strong, traditional ending and puts the magic in their hands to end.

Method-wise, traditional coins across methods can be applied to just about any transposition (e.g. coins through table, coins through hand, etc.) It's nice to be able to capture different effects with the same methods. My Box Through Hand routine (from my coin box book) is basically a coins across method, but I'm "effecting" a hand penetration for the set-up for the okito box.

I find audiences like these types of effects for the most part, especially the ending in their hands. Are you having much success with this, or are you just figuring out a routine to use?
MagicMason
View Profile
Loyal user
300 Posts

Profile of MagicMason
Thanks Doug so much! Just excellent!

Any idea where I can find John Bannon's three coin routine?

Thanks for a great week!!

Tom Mason
Vienna Austria
doug brewer
View Profile
V.I.P.
1142 Posts

Profile of doug brewer
It's in his book, Impossibilia - called, ironically, Triple Threat. Also, should mention Richard Sander's ending for an un-gaffed four coins across called "My Cupped Hands Runneth Over" from his book, Close-up Assassin (penned by David Acer). There's a really good method for getting one ahead in the spec's hands using nothing more than the Han Pien Chen move (and no extra coins, which is tough when the spec's close their hands around the coins for the finale).
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The April 2012 entrée: Doug Brewer » » Coins Across Question » » TOPIC IS LOCKED (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL