The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Fire Wallet as opener? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Owen Thomas
View Profile
Special user
504 Posts

Profile of Owen Thomas
Ok so I love my new fire wallet too bits ( thanks for all who helped me choose one).

I would like to use it as an attention grabber/opener in a walkabout type setting.

I cant think of any justification for doing it? (why is that guy got his wallet out in first place?)

any idea's?
yabi
View Profile
New user
Cherry Hill, NJ
92 Posts

Profile of yabi
How I've introduced it in the past:
When no one is looking simply drop the fire wallet on the floor. Wait a moment, then bend down to pick it up as if you just noticed it. Ask surrounding people if it's their wallet (gets their attention) then open it up with the fire. Act surprise and say "oh! it's mine".

Magi Note: While I used this method for years, I later found that David Stone has a similar suggestion in his Real Secrets Vol 1 DVD. You might want to check out Stone's work as he covers different ways to approach a group of people or a table.

Another way I've introduced it is to have an object in the wallet, such as a prediction or a "special card". This gives reason for pulling out the wallet with the fire being a little add-on effect to a reveal or to gain surrounding spectator interest before beginning an effect. I did not use this as much as the first example, but it may work for you depending on what sort of strolling you are doing.

Hope this helps!
Owen Thomas
View Profile
Special user
504 Posts

Profile of Owen Thomas
Thanks yabi, great advice.
dman11
View Profile
Inner circle
USA
1068 Posts

Profile of dman11
Quote:
On 2012-05-02 20:23, Owen Thomas wrote:
Ok so I love my new fire wallet too bits ( thanks for all who helped me choose one).

I would like to use it as an attention grabber/opener in a walkabout type setting.

I cant think of any justification for doing it? (why is that guy got his wallet out in first place?)

any idea's?

If you don't mind, which Wallet did you get? I'm looking for a nice one myself (first one too)
Bob1Dog
View Profile
Inner circle
Wife: It's me or this houseful of
1159 Posts

Profile of Bob1Dog
Don't know which version Owen Thomas uses, but I prefer Viking's. Well made, with good qualiy soft leather; can be used for a real wallet and is totally reliable (once you know how to use it; I mistakenly posted in other threads that it was unreliable, but if you open and load it correctly,it's 100$. Worth the higher price and will last a long time, just like a good wallet will.
What if the Hokey Pokey really IS what it's all about? Smile

My neighbor rang my doorbell at 2:30 a.m. this morning, can you believe that, 2:30 a.m.!? Lucky for him I was still up playing my drums.
Owen Thomas
View Profile
Special user
504 Posts

Profile of Owen Thomas
Dman11 I got the theatre Fx wallet here is link http://www.theatremagic.com/prop-shop/fire-wallet/

best magic purchase ive made, I use this as my normal wallet too.
dman11
View Profile
Inner circle
USA
1068 Posts

Profile of dman11
Quote:
On 2012-05-03 19:36, Owen Thomas wrote:
Dman11 I got the theatre Fx wallet here is link http://www.theatremagic.com/prop-shop/fire-wallet/

best magic purchase ive made, I use this as my normal wallet too.

Great! was looking at that one as well
themagicguy
View Profile
Loyal user
Australia
280 Posts

Profile of themagicguy
Fire wallet as opener? Only if you want to look like a weirdo. The kids love it though and they will continue to ask you to do it again and again.
rklew64
View Profile
Inner circle
1265 Posts

Profile of rklew64
I say use it as much as possible. Such a fun prop!
Brad Burt
View Profile
Inner circle
2675 Posts

Profile of Brad Burt
Walk up to folks holding the wallet out and chest high. Look at folks, getting attention...ask, "Hey want to see something hot?" Open wallet....ta da. Close...look startled, reopen and remove some kind of first trick (bill trick, packet, etc.) "It's way hotter than I thought!"

A lot of this stuff is heavily driven by YOUR personality and the kind of lines, faces, etc. that you can pull off and make work. Above has been strong for me. Get's attention, laughs, to start and go from there.

Try to imagine how you want to have folks react to both the wallet and you, etc. Consider how the wallet can be used not so much AS the main trick, but as the lead in to what comes next. If you think of the fire wallet not as a trick per se, but as a 'sight gag' it helps to put it in to context. Fire is always cool... lol.......But, a fire wallet is not a particularly 'magical' effect in an of itself. It shouts TRICK WALLET and that's totally fine. Think: sight gag. It's your establishment shot. You have their attention now take that and run with it. Whatever you follow with????? It HAS to be better than the wallet itself. Pick something strong for what comes after.

Best,
Brad Burt
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Fire Wallet as opener? (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL