The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Finger/stage manipulation » » Mutilated Parasol by Black Magic Company (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

billappleton
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Gatos, California
1154 Posts

Profile of billappleton
Hi All,

I just noticed Hocus Pocus has this product on sale at quite a discount.

Does anyone know anything about Mutilated Parasol by Black Magic Company?

Is this a good version? Pros or cons?

Thanks in advance...
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Bill, I do not have this, but from the description it is a one way mutilated parasol (really an umbrella), meaning it only transposes to the mutilated state, and not back.

They do not show the tube, and that is an important consideration. If it is a solid tube, that you cannot show empty and free of trickery, then you loose some of the mystery. It is most likely a tube, because of the size of the umbrella as well. Newspaper would not cover something that large.

It is big, which means additional luggage and trips to the car or van.

The bag is designed like the old bag to foulard so the bag changes into the umbrella cover. A nice touch.

Do to the design of the umbrella, you will not be able to do the reverse, even if you wanted to, as it will not fit back in the tube with the silks dangling.

This is the nice feature of the Abbott's design. Edward O. Drane company in Chicago, use to supply a less costly version of the Abbott model, but the company is long since closed. It did not have any silk parasol cover, but worked with the same principles.

There are a reason, more then money, to buy the Abbott's Mutilated Parasol. It is superior in many ways, and they can/will make an additional bag to parasol cover for an additional charge of course.

I purchased that lost version they sold from Italy, and it was similar to this model you are requesting information on, I think they called it the Dante Mutilated Parasol. I never used it because of the size and the one way feature, and I had a time trying to find something big enough to wrap it in. It did not come with a bag of any kind. I sold it here on the Café at a huge loss.

I would advise against purchasing this current offering. Just my opinion.
billappleton
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Gatos, California
1154 Posts

Profile of billappleton
Thanks Bill, I think you're right on target with that analysis.

What I don't like about Abbott's is the tie-dye look. It makes more magical sense to me the way Black Magic has 16 panels on the umbrella that match the silks.

I think the bag to foulard is nice, I'd like to see how the Black Magic one looks, but usually they are pretty. This transformation is also one way like the parasol.

Abbott's has the change purse which goes with the parasol idea although I'm not a big fan of any change bag.

Here is another mutilated parasol effect:

http://www.seomagic-usa.com/catalog/prod......s_id/516

This is pretty cool, but unfortunately uses another tie-dye parasol. He has kind of dispensed with the change bag altogether, which puts a lot of heat on the tube....

Can anyone else find a good mutilated parasol?
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Bill, I have did research on the ones available on the market, and their are none better then Abbott's. I guess if you call Greg Bordner the owner and discuss your ideas, he would consider makeing a special parasol for you. I am sure you should get a quote from them first.

Owen's Magic makes one, and is so expensive, the price list says, Price on Application only.

Harries is a chrome metal tube, you have to screw the parasol into the tube to get a release for the ribs. The parasol is tiny as well.

The India models are all junk and not even a Mutilated Parasol effect.

Mr. Jupiter's is not an actualy a Mutilated Parsol effect as well.

Of course it ia a big world, so maybe there is one someplace.
billappleton
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Gatos, California
1154 Posts

Profile of billappleton
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Quote:
On 2012-05-14 10:27, billappleton wrote:
Does anyone know about this one:

http://www.stevensmagic.com/index.php?ma......tfroogle

Quote:
On 2012-05-11 16:58, wmhegbli wrote:

I purchased that lost version they sold from Italy, and it was similar to this model you are requesting information on, I think they called it the Dante Mutilated Parasol. I never used it because of the size and the one way feature, and I had a time trying to find something big enough to wrap it in. It did not come with a bag of any kind. I sold it here on the Café at a huge loss.

Bill I already reviewed the Dante version. Stevens sold it years before Hocus-Pocus, now it is back.

You have to hold it together as well. Very hard to handle, and it unscrews during spinning.
Lou Hilario
View Profile
Inner circle
2234 Posts

Profile of Lou Hilario
Quote:
On 2012-05-11 16:31, billappleton wrote:
Hi All,

I just noticed Hocus Pocus has this product on sale at quite a discount.

Does anyone know anything about Mutilated Parasol by Black Magic Company?

Is this a good version? Pros or cons?

Thanks in advance...

I got this last year and ordered it direct from Black Magic. It includes a performance video with 2 assistants. The tube hides both umbrellas. And yes, the bag is a Blendo bag. I like it because of the size and color. Well made. Works for me.

Cons: You need to carry a long 4 feet tube in your shows. It doesn't fit in any of my cases.
Magic, Illusions, Juggling, Puppet & Parrot Show ^0^
http://www.louhilario.net
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
I forgot about the Tim Star Mutilated Parasol, they are surperior as well, and use the bag to cover effect.

http://creationsbystar.com/page33parasolilusion.html

You will have to contact Tim Star to see about availablility.
billappleton
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Gatos, California
1154 Posts

Profile of billappleton
Quote:
On 2012-05-14 20:18, Lou Hilario wrote:
I got this last year and ordered it direct from Black Magic. It includes a performance video with 2 assistants. The tube hides both umbrellas. And yes, the bag is a Blendo bag. I like it because of the size and color. Well made. Works for me.

Cons: You need to carry a long 4 feet tube in your shows. It doesn't fit in any of my cases.

Thanks Lou! Do you have to have an assistant, or can you do it alone? Can a spectator hold the tube? Thanks again.
Lou Hilario
View Profile
Inner circle
2234 Posts

Profile of Lou Hilario
Yes, I prefer to use it with my 2 assistants for a smooth and quick presentation. It could be performed alone just like the standard way.
You could have the volunteer hold the tube with a good misdirection when you turn it the other way for the switch.
Magic, Illusions, Juggling, Puppet & Parrot Show ^0^
http://www.louhilario.net
jay leslie
View Profile
V.I.P.
Southern California
9498 Posts

Profile of jay leslie
I bought an Abbotts about 13 years ago. Two ribs broke within a week and they wouldn't replace the unit. I was told that since I was a builder I should repair it myself and was send three ribs. I had to take it apart and do the repair myself. Those ribs also eventually broke because of where the connecting holes are located and the tolerance of the wire around the uknow. Not too happy about that.
billappleton
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Gatos, California
1154 Posts

Profile of billappleton
Thanks Jay. I actually like the Black's parasol. The size is OK with me, I like the panels (no tie dye), and the one-way transformation is good -- gotta keep it moving, you know.

I plan to use this at the end of my parasol productions, kind of a climax.

But the freaky friday sale at hocus pocus is over!
mattmccoy
View Profile
Loyal user
203 Posts

Profile of mattmccoy
I am curious to see if anyone knows the year that Black Magic or Tim Starr put out the Silks/Cover Blendo bag. And who did it first maybe?

-Matt
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
I believe it was the idea of Jade, as she was the 1st one to perform the mutilated parasol with this transformation effect to my knowledge.

Then Abbott's made them for whoever wished the feature to be added to their models.

And as time went on, others picked up on this transformation taken from the late creative mind of Ali Bongo of England idea of a bag with silks transforming into a foulard.
hugmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
7665 Posts

Profile of hugmagic
I did see it early done by Jade. I am not sure when Tim Starr came out with his blendo bag for the parasol. I know it was when he was still with RNT just before he left and started his own Creations by Starr. I somehow think it was done before that also but I can't provide the documentation at this time.
Just educated guess. Seems improbable that it was not done before as the blendo was a very common effect in the 1950's.

Richard
Richard E. Hughes, Hughes Magic Inc., 352 N. Prospect St., Ravenna, OH 44266 (330)296-4023
www.hughesmagic.com
email-hugmagic@raex.com
Write direct as I will be turning off my PM's.
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Richard, the bag blendo was not common, though, if it were not for Ali Bongo, it would have not been created. Unless it is in one of those old English books similar to Louis Huisted's book. Ali Bongo did use things published in books and bring them into reality. What come to mind his Pom Pom Stick that became so popular.

I do remember hearing of Tim Star's parasol trick, but it was not generally on the market, and it was not in his 1st catalog he sent me when he was still in the U.S.

I don't think it really matters anyway. If Matt McCoy really wants to know, he can do the reasearch and contact the mentioned people if he cares to do so.
wally
View Profile
Inner circle
1830 Posts

Profile of wally
Anyone got these. George Honda changing parasol or Harries of sweden mutilated parasol. whats the quality like, please contact me. I do have the Abbotts, but I want another. magicwalsh@gmail.com
wally
View Profile
Inner circle
1830 Posts

Profile of wally
Harries of swedend don't respond to e-mail ??
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Finger/stage manipulation » » Mutilated Parasol by Black Magic Company (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.04 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL