The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » If right you win, if wrong you lose... » » 3 shell starter set (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
shellgame-al
View Profile
Veteran user
Arizona, USA
352 Posts

Profile of shellgame-al
I have not seen the Shell Boot Camp, but from what I have heard, it is the right way to learn how to get started with the shell handling,for a lot of reasons. First of all, it teaches you with bottle caps. They do not have any alterations. The guys you see on the streets doing the shell game don't have alterations like magnets, chanin dip or a notch in the back of their shells. This is because they know how to handle the shells without all these aids that for some reason the magicians think they need.

I think the earlier advise on getting started was good advise and then move on to something better once you learn all the different ways to handle the shells to make a better choice. I am not one for having clues like magnets on the table. I think magnets can be great, if they are not over used.

But everyone has their own way of how they like to do things and I am not saying anything is wrong on how you want to start off. This is only my thoughts, but it does look like you are looking for the easiest way to use the shells without learning the right ways to use them. The fastest way to learn how well magnetic shells work in the real world, is play for real money and you will learn very quickly how well they work, but you better have a backup plan.

Please don't take me wrong these are only my thoughts and you should do what works best for you. Good Luck!
Manufacture of 3 Shell Game Sets & 3 Disk Monte Sets
3shells.com and magicswindles.com
Dave V
View Profile
Inner circle
Las Vegas, NV
4824 Posts

Profile of Dave V
I guess I'm one of the few who didn't really care for "Boot Camp"
I've studied most of the products on the market in the past few years. The Boot Camp isn't for someone who wants to learn the basics. For no other reason that it teaches a "two pea" routine with a fairly difficult holdout move that I simply could not do.

Like I said a year ago, for the money you can buy a basic shell set, get a pack of SfS peas, and Whit's Vol 1 on the Shell Game and be set for life. Then, and only then should you branch out to multiple peas, complicated moves and yes, even though I own some of Shellgame-Al's shells, hold off on those too unless you have a special need for one of his sets. For me, that was his "Pirate" themed Renaissance Cups set that I could use at Renaissance Faires.

Walk before you try to run.
No trees were killed in the making of this message, but a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.
shellgame-al
View Profile
Veteran user
Arizona, USA
352 Posts

Profile of shellgame-al
That makes good sense on learning the basics with the single pea first as Dave said, then you can go on from there.

The Vernet shells with a little edge sanding are a cheap way to get started and work very well starting off in learning.

I agreed about walk before you run.

Once you know how to handle the pea and shells there are a lot of choices to upgrade to, but you will have a good idea on what will fit you the best by then.
Manufacture of 3 Shell Game Sets & 3 Disk Monte Sets
3shells.com and magicswindles.com
bishthemagish
View Profile
Inner circle
6013 Posts

Profile of bishthemagish
Quote:
On 2012-05-24 19:18, hestonsmagic wrote:
Hi all,
I have been a fast and loose fan for a while, then upgraded to cups and balls and now the time has come to get my first set of shells. I notice a ton of them on the market, and not knowing if this will become a passion, is there a decent starter set. I don't want to invest my life savings to start with ... Suggestions?

Check out the School for scoundrels web site.
Glenn Bishop Cardician

Producer of the DVD Punch Deal Pro

Publisher of Glenn Bishop's Ace Cutting And Block Transfer Triumphs
LeoH
View Profile
Elite user
437 Posts

Profile of LeoH
What worked for me was SFS vol.1 then the boot camp then SFS vol2.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » If right you win, if wrong you lose... » » 3 shell starter set (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL