The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The side walk shuffle » » Washington D.C. Busking Laws (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

wonderbob
View Profile
New user
94 Posts

Profile of wonderbob
Hi Everyone,
I was just wondering what the laws are for busking in D.C.
Thanks,
Bob
MagiCol
View Profile
Special user
Dargaville, New Zealand
929 Posts

Profile of MagiCol
You may want to keep under the radar while making your enquires so you don't alert people to your intention. If so, skip the cops and ask any busker you find on a street [not many were around a couple of years back]. Often there's a difference between the official view and the actual on-the-street custom. You could try the local magician's branch.
Or enquire from the nearest magic shop I'm aware of to D.C.: Barry's Magic Shop at White Flint which around 15 July 2012 is closing down after 38 years in the business.
The presentation makes the magic.
wonderbob
View Profile
New user
94 Posts

Profile of wonderbob
Quote:
On 2012-05-28 00:02, MagiCol wrote:
You may want to keep under the radar while making your enquires so you don't alert people to your intention.

I hate to sound dumb but what does that even mean
Pecan_Creek
View Profile
Veteran user
The Nation of TEXAS!
323 Posts

Profile of Pecan_Creek
Undercover busking.
wonderbob
View Profile
New user
94 Posts

Profile of wonderbob
So are you saying that it is illegal to busk at all in dc
Dave V
View Profile
Inner circle
Las Vegas, NV
4824 Posts

Profile of Dave V
Authorities are quick to say "no" when they really mean "I'm not sure." Staying under the radar simply means don't make your first request by marching into City Hall. Ask on the streets, ask other performers, or perform without a permit without making a nuisance of yourself (blocking traffic, loud amps), things like that.

If a permit is required, I'm sure someone will be quick to tell you "you can't do that here."
No trees were killed in the making of this message, but a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.
Magic.J.Manuel
View Profile
Special user
I have danced upon
663 Posts

Profile of Magic.J.Manuel
And remember when you run--Serpentine!
Nothing would get done at all, if man waited so long that no one could find fault with it.
Motley Mage
View Profile
Special user
572 Posts

Profile of Motley Mage
I do not know what the actual laws are, but on a visit to DC just a couple of weeks ago there was a very active nighttime busking culture in Old Town Alexandria at the waterfront. A magician I saw there kept reminding folks not to block the walkways, but other than that it seemed quite open all up and down the street.
Victor Brisbin
View Profile
Elite user
Washington, DC / NOVA
432 Posts

Profile of Victor Brisbin
FYI,Barry's Magic Shop is closing, so if you want to ask him you might want to do it soon. I live in the DC area now, and all I know for sure is that federal property, i.e. National Parks and monuments are off-limits. I can't comment on the areas where you have to audition to perform on the street.
"It is better to practice a little than talk a lot." - Muso Kokushi
Damian
View Profile
Veteran user
363 Posts

Profile of Damian
I busked in DC for a short while, a couple years ago. I started in front of the space museum. Had a nice run, but eventually the cops told me it wasn't allowed (specifically there). After that I went to Dupont circle and had no problems. Then I heard about the old town waterfront area, went there, had a great time, no problems.
noland
View Profile
Veteran user
350 Posts

Profile of noland
Damian:

I live in the greater Washington area, and I've wondered about the feasibility of busking at Dupont Circle. What days and times of the week did you busk there? I assume the crowds were mainly adult, not family, as they are in Old Town. By the way, I busk in Old Town, but I don't remember if our paths ever crossed there--did they?

Noland
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The side walk shuffle » » Washington D.C. Busking Laws (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL