The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ever so sleightly » » Best for learning sponge balls? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

lukecloughmagic
View Profile
Loyal user
250 Posts

Profile of lukecloughmagic
I'm looking to add a good sponge ball routine into my repertoire, what are peoples experience and recommendations for a beginner to sponge balls?
55Hudson
View Profile
Special user
Minneapolis
984 Posts

Profile of 55Hudson
Check out World's Greatest Magic Sponge Ball DVD and The Sponge Book by Magic Inc. two inexpensive resources that will give you plenty to work with.

Hudson
puggo
View Profile
Inner circle
2022 Posts

Profile of puggo
+1 for 55 Hudson

Pat Page booklet or video (DVD?)
Mark James DVD (RSVP)
Geoff Williams 'Miracles for Mortals' hairballs routine

Also, several threads worth searching out on this & table hoppers section.

Charlie
Angio333
View Profile
Regular user
130 Posts

Profile of Angio333
I like Jay Noblezada's DVD called Sponge.
- C
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18558 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
Once you understand the sponge balls the best way to learn is to JUST DO IT. Perform, perform, perform. The timing and attitude is most important.
STAY TOONED... @ www.pete-biro.com
Father Photius
View Profile
Grammar Host
El Paso, TX (Formerly Amarillo)
17161 Posts

Profile of Father Photius
I'd second Pat Page. Good beginning source. Garcia's Encyclopedia of sponge ball magic is good resource, but out of print. Of course it uses everybody's routines in it, so you can pretty well put it together by looking at a few different sources.
"Now here's the man with the 25 cent hands, that two bit magician..."
Andy Gemini
View Profile
Regular user
England
119 Posts

Profile of Andy Gemini
The Spongeball Toolbox is a good place to start, worked for me anyway!
rmann
View Profile
New user
Milton VT and a forum newbie with only
96 Posts

Profile of rmann
"Encyclopedia of Sponge Ball Magic" DVD with Ben Salinas is a good intro, lots of good basics and followed by showing the moves put together in routines. You can find them for anywhere from $12 to $20, so shop around.

Ray
_

Pastor Ray Mann

Champlain Valley Church of the Nazarene

St. Albans, VT (USA)

"...to Him who alone does great wonders, His love endures forever." Ps 136:4
boxjumper
View Profile
Veteran user
362 Posts

Profile of boxjumper
There is a wonderful sponge ball routine in The Book of Destiny by Larry Barnowsky. He teaches all the moves needed in the book and in the companion DVD.

BJ
Dynamike
View Profile
Eternal Order
FullTimer
24148 Posts

Profile of Dynamike
Jay Sankey also teaches great moves on his DVD "Earplugs".
Tonylew
View Profile
Regular user
Tracy, CA
184 Posts

Profile of Tonylew
I am very fond of the Sponge Ball Toolkit by Magic by Gosh although I feel that some of the padding could have been eliminated. However, that was Steve Dacri's style, RIP. I was quite disappointed by the Encyclopedia of Sponge Ball Magic. Although I am a great fan of L&L DVD's, I was rather disappointed by by their Sponge Ball magic in he World's Greatest Magic Series. I would like to add that I have about 20 DVD's in that series, most of which I find quite worthwhile.
billappleton
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Gatos, California
1154 Posts

Profile of billappleton
Quote:
On 2012-08-30 13:51, Tonylew wrote:
I was quite disappointed by the Encyclopedia of Sponge Ball Magic. Although I am a great fan of L&L DVD's, I was rather disappointed by by their Sponge Ball magic in he World's Greatest Magic Series.

Yup I have to agree. The Dacri session on World's Greatest Magic Series was the best part. I haven't seen any resource that teaches the retention vanish very well. For the Benson Bowl there is the original Don Alan vanish and the Frank Garcia vanish, but I'm going to have to recommend my Twist Retention Vanish instead. Smile

For a simple vanish (jumping from my hand to your hand) there are also many different methods out there, some of which are just awful. Check Dacri's handling. Although even on World's Greatest Magic Series in his live performance there is flash after flash. Smile

A big mistake is using SPEED to cover up a crappy vanish. In my experience even small changes in how you do the vanish or the timing result in a big visual difference.
Poof-Daddy
View Profile
Inner circle
Considering Stopping At Exactly
5313 Posts

Profile of Poof-Daddy
Book called Now You See It, Now You don't was a very good start for me
Cancer Sux - It is time to find a Cure

Don't spend so much time trying not to die that you forget how to live - H's wife to H on CSI Miami (paraphrased).

Smile Smile
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ever so sleightly » » Best for learning sponge balls? (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL