The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ballooning 101 » » Balloon apron advice (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

paulmagic
View Profile
Loyal user
Malaysia, now In New Zealand
290 Posts

Profile of paulmagic
I recently bought a balloon apron from LaRocks and when using I found that the pockets were rather shallow and if this makes sense, the balloons flop everywhere.

Would appreciate advice on

1. How do you keep your balloons organized, tidy and easy to access?

2. I see in balloon DVDs (like Mark Byrne's Bad to the Balloon - now my hero Smile) that he manages to keep his balloons upright. Is this due to a modification or is this a custom made apron / belt?

3. I do not want to buy another apron if possible, so how can I make the best of my situation?

My background is that for years I have only done basic single balloon designs with an occasional multi-balloon design (but pre-made rather than on the spot as I am very slow - in twisting not in the head Smile).

Just think it is time to move up a notch. So a well organized apron with easily accessible balloons makes sense for me at this stage.

Much thanks
Many Blessings!!

Paul
Robynhood
View Profile
Regular user
Charleston, SC
166 Posts

Profile of Robynhood
Twist em' up- they have some great aprons, just got a Easy Load Deluxe. Christopher Lyle has a video here on Magic Café of his balloon organizing and he shows something that I would go crazy if I didn't do, you roll a bundle of balloons in fun foam, which can be found at any craft store, this keeps them standing straight. Look for it, the videos are worth checking out. This would help if you have shallow pockets, because they stay rigid. You can buy strips for some aprons. The strips go along the top and secure the bundles. You could attach some velcro to the apron on a sewing machine and buy some strips. Twist em' up also sells these. Hope this helps, good luck!
Kevinr
View Profile
Inner circle
1854 Posts

Profile of Kevinr
I have a Colossal Swifty Bag..

Love mine..

I just wrap all the balloons they come in with rubber bands works great!
paulmagic
View Profile
Loyal user
290 Posts

Profile of paulmagic
Thanks Robynhood and Kevinr. Appreciate the response. The videos are helpful - The fun foam idea is very helpful. As for the twisty bag, not something I would buy due to th cost and the fact that ballooning for me is a hobby and for if ever for a crowd for non profit purposes. I would not require such a huge bag.
Many Blessings!!

Paul
Bad to the Balloon
View Profile
Inner circle
Clearwater Florida
2116 Posts

Profile of Bad to the Balloon
Here is my sorting method:
http://markbyrne.balloonhq.com/complete.......&idl=692

pictures 49581 - 49567

Let me know if I can help you further.
Mark Byrne
AKA Mark the Balloon Guy
As seen on the TODAY SHOW
www.balloonguy.net
Creator of Bad to the Balloon DVD series
Go to my store: http://tinyurl.com/Bad2theBalloon
Wes Holly
View Profile
Special user
Cincinnati, OH, USA
644 Posts

Profile of Wes Holly
Nothing you can do with the 3 or 5 pocket apron listed on LaRocks. If you want a system where your balloons "stand up" and are organized by individual size and color you'll have to spend some bucks for the better aprons/bags. I'm partial to Twistem'up, but others are just as usable.
Happily Yours,
Wes Holly
www.wesholly.com
Cincinnati, OH, USA
Kevinr
View Profile
Inner circle
1854 Posts

Profile of Kevinr
Quote:
On 2012-05-30 00:50, paulmagic wrote:
Thanks Robynhood and Kevinr. Appreciate the response. The videos are helpful - The fun foam idea is very helpful. As for the twisty bag, not something I would buy due to th cost and the fact that ballooning for me is a hobby and for if ever for a crowd for non profit purposes. I would not require such a huge bag.

I tried the fun foam but I go through balloons so fast I just wraps the balloons inside the bag they come with just like the fun foam but the balloons don't slip out of the bottom when you are down to 2-3 balloons. They stay in the bag.. Fast.. Simple.. Cheap!!

Get a bag of balloons and measure them then get a bag with the same exact height. A cheap easy alternative to a Swifty Bag.
paulmagic
View Profile
Loyal user
290 Posts

Profile of paulmagic
Mark, Thanks for your link and pictures. Helps a lot and much appreciated.

A couple of questions

1. What do you use the velcro for? To tie bunches of balloons together?

2. How do you band your unique balloons together?
One of the many impressive things I found watching your DVD is how fast you do your balloons - not just the blowing and twisting but the ease in which you locate the balloons you want. What is your system for your unique balloons?

Wes, Kevinr, I do not go through balloons as quickly and as many as professionals do. Bags are rather cumbersome and an overkill for me.

Thanks for all your advice. This is what I have decided (and done) for now that I am comfortable with, taking into consideration my level of skill and needs. Your comments if any on this would be much appreciated.

I have two different set ups for my balloons

1. I have a small sling pouch with a single 7.5 inch deep pocket I bought for $1 (been using this since I started ballooning) which can hold about 80 balloons . This is usually placed in my sling bag - which is an unwanted small PC notebook bag. I carry this sling bag with me most places (even to church service - I am a pastor).
My version of a male handbag! LOL.
In it goes stuff like some magic, pens, a file or two and my ipad etc.
This is for everyday use where I find opportunities to make simple balloons for people at the drop of a hat. For example, a child visitor to church, at the hospital when I am visiting someone - to nurses, children, patients, a fretting or smiling child with a parent I may meet on the street etc.

For this, I have not bothered color coding my balloons as specific colors for my one balloon sculptures are generally not as important (and children usually want swords)

2. The apron - I bought this as I do a few magic shows each year and it is always nice to end up doing balloons. Also there has been more community based events where I need to do large number of balloons.

Taking the advice given, I have color coded the balloons I want and wrapped / tied them using fun foam. As the LaRock apron pockets are very shallow and cannot hold the balloons upright, I have stuck on a black velcro strip onto the apron and also a small piece of velcro on each of fun foam sheets (after they have been wrapped. I am happy that each bunch of balloons now do not flop over and fall out of the apron but are able to stand upright.

I haven't figured out yet how to arrange the unique balloons for easy access.

Thanks again!
Many Blessings!!

Paul
paulmagic
View Profile
Loyal user
290 Posts

Profile of paulmagic
Mark

Sorry what I meant was why velcro instead of rubber bands on your balloons? Would using rubber bands damage the balloons especially if they are not used quickly or something like that?

Thanks
Many Blessings!!

Paul
Robynhood
View Profile
Regular user
Charleston, SC
166 Posts

Profile of Robynhood
I both rubber band and fun foam them. I tie the top of the bundle with a rubber band and then use rubber bands to hold the fun foam together. Everyone has their own preference to how they tie them. Experiment, see what works for you. Smile
Alex Rapattoni
View Profile
Loyal user
Seattle, Wa
229 Posts

Profile of Alex Rapattoni
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SthMU3vYTjE

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w1ne1cQ7D......&list=UL

These are btoh of the setups I use. Both of which were inspired by Mark Byrne. I havehadgreat success with both.

Thanks, Mark. I don't know where I'd be without you and all you've given!
Weird is part of the job.
paulmagic
View Profile
Loyal user
290 Posts

Profile of paulmagic
Robynhood, Alex. Much thanks
Many Blessings!!

Paul
paulmagic
View Profile
Loyal user
290 Posts

Profile of paulmagic
Specifically Alex, very helpful in giving me ideas on how to custom design something that suits more purpose. Appreciate the sharing
Many Blessings!!

Paul
Bad to the Balloon
View Profile
Inner circle
Clearwater Florida
2116 Posts

I don't use velcro anymore I use rubber band, just don't make them tight. #18 band doubled over on a bundle of 60 to 80 balloons is fine a secondary rubber band is used on the end very loose not double over.

My pouch is a nailer pouch found at a professional tool supply.

I use gallon bags to make my setups I carry 5-6 setups per week and change them when they get low. Then the low set up are parred down during the week and added to as needed.
Mark Byrne
AKA Mark the Balloon Guy
www.balloonguy.net
Amazing Magic Co
View Profile
Inner circle
1715 Posts

Profile of Amazing Magic Co
I just received a TWISTem-Up apron for some upcoming restaurant gigs. I am in the process of loading this up and all I can say is wow! The capacity, construction and material quality seem outstanding. I am anxious to see how his is to work out of. The customer service directly from Alan was terrific. I was working on some tight timelines and I received this promptly.

I'll gladly forward any additional comments after a few gigs.

Dan.
Robynhood
View Profile
Regular user
Charleston, SC
166 Posts

Profile of Robynhood
I got my apron from Twist em' up so quickly, they are awesome, and doing restaurant gigs with my new apron has been great!
paulmagic
View Profile
Loyal user
290 Posts

Profile of paulmagic
Thanks Mark. The additional info helps. Yesterday I used my small pouch and realized that the balloons were tied in too tight. And I realise too that if too tight might affect the balloons. The fun foam was helpful and the idea of using bags makes sense
Thanks Dan and Robynhood. Please do tive an update on yiur use of the twist up bag. Though I like the idea of a nailer pouch a lot better. Looks "cooler" Smile
Many Blessings!!

Paul
Bad to the Balloon
View Profile
Inner circle
Clearwater Florida
2116 Posts

For some odd reason I find a gallon's worth of balloons as a manageable and easy unit to carry. It will last a good 4 hours worth of twitting for me.

I have gone away from the pouch as of recently... I do 8 3-4 hour gigs per week and the strain on my back was high. So I now use a tripod (InStand) with a open kit bag. It isa Husky tool bag.

http://www.protoolreviews.caom/buying-gu......_bag.jpg
Mark Byrne
AKA Mark the Balloon Guy
www.balloonguy.net
paulmagic
View Profile
Loyal user
290 Posts

Profile of paulmagic
Quote:
On 2012-06-04 10:45, Bad to the Balloon wrote:
For some odd reason I find a gallon's worth of balloons as a manageable and easy unit to carry. It will last a good 4 hours worth of twitting for me.

I have gone away from the pouch as of recently... I do 8 3-4 hour gigs per week and the strain on my back was high. So I now use a tripod (InStand) with a open kit bag. It isa Husky tool bag.

http://www.protoolreviews.caom/buying-gu......_bag.jpg

Sorry to hear about your bad back.

Yesterday I found a simple black canvas tool pouch for NZ $13.50 at a hardware shop and bought it
Fits my needs better and also cheaper than my original balloon apron. Thanks.
Will be fooling around with with using the apron too as a magic pouch partially disguised as a balloon apron(ala Slydini / Horbi Kull)

Thanks for all your help

God bless
Many Blessings!!

Paul
paulmagic
View Profile
Loyal user
290 Posts

Profile of paulmagic
Hi.
Just thought I should give a quick update on what I have been using after having the opportunity to actually field test for a couple of months the ideas shared with me on this thread. And ... to again thank Mark Bryne in particular.

The simple tool pouch has been very practical for me as I am a hobbyist and only need it on occasions where I need to do more than the usual handful of balloons. But when I need it, it has been a breeze to clip on and use as everything is within easy reach. I have also tied on with string a small scissors so it can fit in a pocket and if I accidentally drop it, I do not have to even bend down. The tool belt idea is really good and versatile.

And interestingly there have been many comments about how organized and professional I look Smile

So thanks again everyone especial Mark for the help.
Many Blessings!!

Paul
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ballooning 101 » » Balloon apron advice (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.04 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL