The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Best tricks for a young magician (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Bill08
View Profile
Special user
Montreal
719 Posts

Profile of Bill08
I'm looking for suggestions for magic tricks that a child could learn and perform (11 years old). Anything that is easy enough to do with minimal practice, but still compelling enough to be enjoyed by an adult audience.
Thanks!
Brad Burt
View Profile
Inner circle
2675 Posts

Profile of Brad Burt
Ball Vase

Magic Coloring Book

Tenyo's Crazy Spots

Chinese Sticks (most difficult so far, but great trick, very doable by most 11 yr old)

Penetration Frame (Royal version generally nice)

First three above are about as easy as it gets. For children I call them 'indicator tricks'. If there's a problem with these...magic OR the age may not be appropriate at this time. There is a kind of myth of the 'self working trick'. Even tricks as easy as the above need some work to have them look even minimally good.

I wish I could give you a specific recommendation here, but I don't carry 'sets' any more. IF...you end up getting a magic set make SURE you get one with DVD instruction. There used to be and I assume there still are some really good sets with DVD's included. The advantage for a child is that they get to SEE the magic performed and explained by a real person.

Many times, at least in the past, I have seen some decent appearing sets with dvd in toy stores, etc. If you have a local magic shop they may be able to help, etc.

Good luck,
Brad Burt
MikeBeaudet
View Profile
Loyal user
Becancour
228 Posts

Profile of MikeBeaudet
If you want a very impressive one and very easy try "Out of this world" by Paul Cury. It's the trick that fooled Churchill (I have no proof of that because I wasn't there, I'm too young ). Very easy to do, always has an impressive effect on anybody.

Also You can buy an excellent book for a beginner; Complete Magic Course by Joshua Jay, I very good young magician. The book includes easy versions of 10 classic card tricks. A must for starting easy card tricks based on excellent classic card tricks.

Mike
Do your best and forget the rest
Ray Bertrand
View Profile
Inner circle
Ottawa, Ontario
1452 Posts

Profile of Ray Bertrand
Most libraries have magic books in the children's section with some amazing effects that children can learn to do.
Mentalism in Ontario.
Jim Sparx
View Profile
Inner circle
Far Out, Texas
1144 Posts

Profile of Jim Sparx
I got a Giberts magic set when I was a kid (1947). There are magic sets available at Amazon. I would start that and see if the interest continues.
http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_1......gic+sets
AGMagic
View Profile
Special user
Cailf.
775 Posts

Profile of AGMagic
Lots of rope tricks work at that age. By 11, my son was doing a very presentable Professor's Nightmare/My Favorite Rope Trick. Rope through Neck, G. W. Hunter's Puzzle Knot, The Flip Knot and the Magic Shoe Laces are also great for a young Magician. These can all be found in "Abbott's Encyclopedia of Rope Tricks for Magicians".
Tim Silver - http://www.facebook.com/pages/Magic-Woodshop/122578214436546

I know you believe you understand what you think I said, but I am not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.

Visualize Whirled Peas!
Bill08
View Profile
Special user
Montreal
719 Posts

Profile of Bill08
Thanks to everyone for your helpful suggestions! Any small levitation stuff that might be appropriate? Vanishes?
bowers
View Profile
Inner circle
Oakboro N.C.
7024 Posts

Profile of bowers
Silk vanish with a tt
Merc Man
View Profile
Inner circle
NUNEATON, Warwickshire
2536 Posts

Profile of Merc Man
If you are willing to tutor them, I'd recommend Harry Lorayne's 'The Magic Book'.

Granted that 11 may be a bit young but, having said that, I was cutting my teeth on it's contents by 13. The Tenyo style tricks just didn't 'do it' for me.

Even to this day, I value this book as the greatest introduction to pure magic (and sleight of hand) anyone could wish for.

Unreservedly recommended.
Barry Allen

Over 14 years have passed - and still missing Abra Magazine arriving every Saturday morning.
Er1tro
View Profile
Regular user
Italy
124 Posts

Profile of Er1tro
I think that something like the 'universal pull from vernet' would be nice. When I was a child I've had a lot of fun with it. Friends of my father couldn't figure it out and so I was doing this effect a lot of times and every time they gave me 1000 lire (old italian value, circa 50 cent in banknote) to let them wanish!
Also a 'stripped deck' could be fine, you can do with it a lot of cards tricks, that are easy and almost self working. And with that deck he will see if he likes card magic and, if this is the case, something like card college is a great book, but only if really interested.
An other good and totally self working deck is the Svengali deck, but some non magicians know the secret of this deck.
Mark Jarvis
View Profile
Regular user
172 Posts

Profile of Mark Jarvis
Bill08

Scotch & Soda would be a good coin effect that you can perform.

This will go over well with adults. Here's a link to Murphys and the video of the effect http://www.murphysmagic.com/Product.aspx?id=37929. I would suggest the magnetic version as you can accomplish more effects with this rather than the traditional Scotch & Soda.

Have fun, enjoy the journey.

Mark
Mark Jarvis
The Magic Of Magic
Solon, Ohio
The Magic Is In Your Hands
http://www.themagicofmagic.com
moby3
View Profile
New user
10 Posts

Profile of moby3
With regards to "out of this world" I recommend Derren Brown's version on "the Devil's Picture Book", it avoids he problem of having to switch colours halfway through.
dattyw
View Profile
New user
How long is the fence?
53 Posts

Profile of dattyw
Things that my kids (7,6,4) like and can perform:
Nickels to Dimes (also, my grandma's favorite trick)
Magic Coloring Book (performed like Bill Malone's Direct from the Factory trick)
Ball in Clear Box (disintegration box)

The man at Hollywood Toys & Costumes gave me good advice when selecting magic for my kids, try to find effects that they can show their friends and then allow to be examined (so not many gimmicks). Also, teach them a trick that requires a few steps. So far it has been very fun teaching them.

Also, they like to make cards float.

David
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Best tricks for a young magician (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL