The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Magical equations » » Mathemagic books (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

owen.daniel
View Profile
Inner circle
England
1048 Posts

Profile of owen.daniel
Hi,
I have been considering making a magic routine, probably a cabaret or small stage type routine, which consists of magic using math.
Of course there are things such as magic squares of different sizes which are found I numerous different texts. I have also come across a routine called Apex which first appeared in Magie, a German magic magazine from 1960. I am considering doing this with jumbo cards on a stand. I heard of this through Martin Gardner's book “Mathematical Carnival”, also mentioned in the book is creating magic stars (similar to squares), but I am just interested if there are any good books I should look at to find magic using math.
Any titles would be most appreciated.
Owen
Scott Cram
View Profile
Inner circle
2678 Posts

Profile of Scott Cram
Here's some books, videos, links, and websites you might enjoy:

The Trachtenberg Speed System of Basic Mathematics
Mathemagics: How to Look Like a Genius Without Really Trying
Be A Genius* (*...or, just look like one)
Simon Aronson's books (Very amazing and unique mathematical principles behind the effects!)
Martin Gardner's books (Especially Mathematics, Magic & Mystery)
Celebration of Sides (video)
Tricks of the Imagination
Self-Working Number Magic

Between all these links, and the multiple links that each of these pages contain, this should keep you busy for a while!
Thoughtreader
View Profile
Inner circle
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
1565 Posts

Profile of Thoughtreader
"Number...Please?" by Richard Busch is full of "number effects. There is also his "Mind over Number" which is a brilliant stand alone, close-up effect.

PSIncerely Yours,
Paul Alberstat
Canada's Leading Mentalist
http://www.mindguy.com
AB StageCraft
http://www.mindguy.com/store
Nir Dahan
View Profile
Inner circle
Munich, Germany
1390 Posts

Profile of Nir Dahan
The second book on Scott's list is great - I would recommend it without blinking.
Another great book is Wallace Lee's Math Miracles, although I believe it is out of print.
Martin Gardner has compiled all of his “Scientific American” columns into 15 volumes. These are the most valuable books I own, without a doubt. They contain a lot of hidden magic; you just have to build the plots around.

Nir
MarkFarrar
View Profile
Veteran user
U.S.A.
376 Posts

Profile of MarkFarrar
There's also "Mathemagic" by Royal Vale Heath, and you might like to consider my own book on Magic Squares.
Mark S. Farrar

Email: [email]MarkFarrar@TheMagicCircle.co.uk[/email]
Web: www.MagicSquaresBook.com, www.RandMPublishing.com, www.TheDailyGoalMachine.com, www.ParvoBuster.com
owen.daniel
View Profile
Inner circle
England
1048 Posts

Profile of owen.daniel
I will check most of these out.
I never realised that Aronsons effects used maths. I would have bought these books ages ago had I known.

Slightly different topic, but for those of you with a big interest in maths, you may be able to help me.
I have just finished the book about Paul Erdos: The Man Who Loved Only Numbers, I really enjoyed the book and was wondering whether there were any other books like it (biographical etc.).
I am only 15 so I do not have the largest mathematical knowledge, yet I am very interested, are there any books which will not be especially difficult for me to read, books which I will understand, which deal with interesting maths problems etc.

Your help will be greatly appreciated,
owen
johngti
View Profile
New user
Dartford, UK
3 Posts

Profile of johngti
Have a look at Fermat's Last Theorem by Simon Singh. Its an excellent book and not too densely mathematical (especially if you've done Pythagoras' Theorem, which looking at your age I'm guessing you have!)
owen.daniel
View Profile
Inner circle
England
1048 Posts

Profile of owen.daniel
Thanks,
I will look it up.
Owen
Mindbender
View Profile
Regular user
125 Posts

Profile of Mindbender
Another book is 'Mathematical Magic' by William Simon. Originally published in 1964. Republished in 1993 by Dover Publications.
balducci
View Profile
Loyal user
Canada
227 Posts

Profile of balducci
Try the Impossible, by Simon Aronson, might be the most mathematical of his books that I've seen so far.

Card Concepts: An Anthology of Numerical and Sequential Principles within Card Magic, by Arthur F. MacTier, may also be of interest to you.
Make America Great Again! - Trump in 2020 ... "We're a capitalistic society. I go into business, I don't make it, I go bankrupt. They're not going to bail me out. I've been on welfare and food stamps. Did anyone help me? No." - Craig T. Nelson, actor.
Magictrickster
View Profile
Regular user
UK
114 Posts

Profile of Magictrickster
I've just recently finished reading the Paul Erdos Book - it's a fascinating read for anyone interested in maths.

Other books of interest may be:
'A Brief History of Time' by Stephen Hawking (although this book is aimed at the general public, I'd guess it's a tricky read for anyoen who hasn't studied maths or physics to advanced level)
'Why Do Buses Come in Threes?' which is a collection of chapters on 'The hidden mathsmetics of everyday life'.
'Fermat's Last Theorem' by Simon Singh as mentioned above is also definitely worth reading. (PVT me if you'd like to borrow my copy Owen).

Cheers,

Brian.
Brian
lboudreau
View Profile
Loyal user
Alexandria, Virginia
288 Posts

Profile of lboudreau
Martin Gardner's articles from "Scientific American," collected in fifteen books, are a goldmine for current and future magicians. Check them out.

http://www.ms.uky.edu/~lee/ma502/gardner5/gardner5.html
LEO
JoeNathan
View Profile
New user
39 Posts

Profile of JoeNathan
Thanks for the link !!
Joe Nathan
Magician
Parson Smith
View Profile
Inner circle
1937 Posts

Profile of Parson Smith
Mathemagic is a fun book. You can find this and others like it at Barnes and Nobles.
Here kitty, kitty,kitty. Smile
+++a posse ad esse+++
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Magical equations » » Mathemagic books (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL