The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The words we use » » Stop using the word organic!!! (2 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
Mary Mowder
View Profile
Inner circle
Sacramento / Elk Grove, CA
3662 Posts

Profile of Mary Mowder
I don't have a problem with the term.

It has a clear meaning as I've heard it used.

I'm glad Magicians are considering how a Lay Person might view the props and framing of an Effect.

Get hep to it!

-Mary Mowder
tmills27
View Profile
New user
8 Posts

Profile of tmills27
I find a lot of people somewhat misuse the word "ignorant". Kind of.

I find that the real meaning of what they meant is "arrogant". They find someone arrogant or rude, and they call them "ignorant".

It doesn't bother me at all, until I had an argument with someone over the meaning of the word. The person wouldn't accept that it means anything other than "rude". I had to explain that that person was a little bit ignorant of the meaning...lol.
Mr. Mystoffelees
View Profile
Inner circle
I haven't changed anyone's opinion in
3623 Posts

Profile of Mr. Mystoffelees
Some qualify- I would put the Vanishing Bandana trick in the group... Smile
Also known, when doing rope magic, as "Cordini"
Ba Ba Booey
View Profile
Special user
In Denver, I have no less than
548 Posts

Profile of Ba Ba Booey
Magician explaining trick: "This trick is totally organic!"

Me: "You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means!"
TonyB2009
View Profile
Inner circle
5006 Posts

Profile of TonyB2009
I can be quite pedantic. If someone told me something was organic and they meant natural, I would probably stop them there and correct them. It offends me. The language has evolved into something rich and beautiful over centuries of use. We do not just change it at will because we are too lazy to learn what words actually mean.

If someone misused the word in their advertising copy I would stop reading and move on to the next effect. They would have lost a potential sale right there.

On a different but related matter, I ignore all posts that begin: "So I was ... "

'So' is not the correct way to begin any post, and if the poster is such a poor communicator I don't want to waste my valuable time communicating with him. Unless English is not his first language.
Aus
View Profile
Special user
Australia
997 Posts

Profile of Aus
ToneyB2009 I don't know how would go in Australia since Aussies have always taken liberty's with the English language with Australian Slang, Idioms & Aussie Lingo.

Dead Horse = Tomato Sauce

garbo = garbage collector

dunny = an outside toilet

mackas = McDonalds

metho = methylated spirits

... and the list goes on.

To be Honest we are all guilty of this in one form or another even myself, Dick Osland says repeatedly that people use definitions like "magic", "trick", "effect" to loosely. Too many "magicians" continue to write about "buying or owning" "magic", "tricks", or "effects". One cannot buy or own "magic"! "Magic" only exists in the mind of the spectator! --after he/she has seen a "trick" performed, and the "effect" which he/she has seen--or THINKS he/she has seen, is perceived by his mind.

"You cannot buy or own a trick either. A trick, like music, only exists while it is being performed. Stop draggin the rosined horse hair over the catgut snd, there's no music!"

"You can't own an effect either. An effect is only what the spectator sees or thinks that he sees."

Magically

Aus
ddamen
View Profile
Regular user
Bay Area
140 Posts

Profile of ddamen
Doesn't bother me. I took an organic chemistry class, eat only USDA organic food, and if some kid wants to sell me an "organic" magic trick, I'll take that too
MaxfieldsMagic
View Profile
Inner circle
Instead of practicing, I made
3009 Posts

Profile of MaxfieldsMagic
One of the first things I taught my son about shopping at the grocery store was that "organic" means "expensive." So in that regard, it seems to accurately apply to many magic tricks.
Now appearing nightly in my basement.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The words we use » » Stop using the word organic!!! (2 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL