The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Table hoppers & party strollers » » Funny, eh? (enough time to finish your routines) (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Chris Becker
View Profile
Veteran user
New York, NY
371 Posts

Profile of Chris Becker
Something struck me today that I wanted to share with you.

First, I - being an Austrian - have an American girlfriend right now. During her time in Vienna, she told me a lot about the differences she perceived between the American and the European culture.

For instance, in the States "it's all customer service" and at restaurants you hardly wait longer than 15-20 minutes until your meal is served. However, in Austria, waiters not only are less service-oriented but it could happen that your meal isn't served before 50-60 minutes (though it's usually not THAT long).

Second, I worked at a restaurant today (4 hours of table hopping) and never was I interrupted by arriving meals. Thus, as a magician, I see the upside of our apparently inferior restaurant culture. You have all the time in the world to finish your routines. Sure, the customers have to wait but, what the heck, THEY can enjoy MY magic longer than in the States.

Have fun, Chris
- - -
<BR>Cards don't cheat people. People cheat people.
Peter Marucci
View Profile
Inner circle
5389 Posts

Profile of Peter Marucci
Chris,
I certainly wouldn't call it "inferior restaurant culture."
Wait staff in Europe see their jobs as a career -- as it should be.
In North America, there is a tendency to look at a wait-staff job (or any other service-industry job) as a stepping stone to something else.
Thus, you get much more amateurish (although often well-meaning) service in North America.
Besides, if you get your meal in 15 minutes (as opposed to half an hour or more) it usually tastes like that! Smile

cheers,
Peter Marucci
showtimecol@aol.com
CharlieC
View Profile
Elite user
488 Posts

Profile of CharlieC
Smile Smile
"Whenever he gets in a fix he reaches into his bag of tricks.
Felix the cat, the wonderful, wonderful cat..."
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Table hoppers & party strollers » » Funny, eh? (enough time to finish your routines) (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL