The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The spooky, the mysterious...the bizarre! » » Imp Jar routine (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

TheGreatIni
View Profile
New user
27 Posts

Profile of TheGreatIni
So to explain the situation simply; among the magic bric-a-brac I've gained in one form or another since my attempt at learning coherently my grandfather gave me two Imp Jars. I'm considering finding some way to create a legitimate routine from it and the effect being what it is, I felt weaving a fun story about capturing a mischievious spirit/imp/djinni/what have you within the jar could be worked out. I'm even considering getting some paint or some other product and recoloring the jar itslf to give it an older appearance.

Anyway, I was just wondering if anyone here has done something similar with this? Someplace for me to get started with a few ideas, more or less.
The Curator
View Profile
V.I.P.
Beware Vampire, I have
3910 Posts

Profile of The Curator
Do you know the Stevenson'story 'The Bottle Imp'?
cirrus
View Profile
Inner circle
his minions made
1751 Posts

Profile of cirrus
Why not write yoru own?

What is the effect of the bottle imp?
How would your character react if he saw it do what it did?
How would your character introduce the bottle imp?
how would he handle it?
How would he put it back away?
Why would the bottle do what it did?

(I don't know the effect of the bottle imp, and it works in my advantage now, so I can help you ask the right questions).
Tony Iacoviello
View Profile
Eternal Order
13151 Posts

Profile of Tony Iacoviello
Have you seen Barrie Richardson's Rice Jar?
TheGreatIni
View Profile
New user
27 Posts

Profile of TheGreatIni
Quote:
Do you know the Stevenson'story 'The Bottle Imp'?

Quote:
Have you seen Barrie Richardson's Rice Jar?

I'm afraid the answer to both of these is 'no'. I'll certainly have to look into them.

Quote:
Why not write yoru own?

I am working my way to that with any luck. My problem is so far the story I've come up with is frightfully generic. Depending on the character I employ (ranging from a 'Gentleman Adventurer' of yester-century who or a more typical 'Collector of curios and stories' type of character or even just a card player who continuously has brushes of the strange to his unending frustration.

All of them are characters I've dabbled with but haven't fully solidified in my mind, but all of them have a different enough outlook to have encountered the 'puzzle' of the jar in different range, from curiosity to concern to a simple acknowledgement that it exists.
cirrus
View Profile
Inner circle
his minions made
1751 Posts

Profile of cirrus
You need a character that you can do your whole act with. Mine is that of a wizard.
TheGreatIni
View Profile
New user
27 Posts

Profile of TheGreatIni
Well, the one that I'm primarily developing is something along the lines of The Crypt Keeper (although not quite as... boney). Sort of an anthologist who, as mentioned, collects curios and stories and for a price, be it the time of the listener, or even a cheap drink, will regail you with the tale behind one of his more amusing acquisitions.

However, as I find myself now reading 'The Bottle Imp' I am getting some fun ideas and must thank the poster who brought it up. That would certainly make for a unique 'first acquisition' for this character.
Tony Iacoviello
View Profile
Eternal Order
13151 Posts

Profile of Tony Iacoviello
When I consider using an item, I open my notebook, get a pen and brainstorm. What is the purpose of the item. What can it do, what are the possibilities?

A jar:
It is a container, things go in it, things come out of it.
Things that go into it vanish, are altered, become something else, are transported elsewhere...
Objects I use vanish and can be found in the jar.
This goes on for a couple of pages, some general, some specific ideas.

After I have a list, it does not matter if I know how to accomplish them or not, I see what might fit me and what I want to present, then I play.
docsteve
View Profile
Inner circle
1831 Posts

Profile of docsteve
Great thread - loved reading it, thanks guys.
Pure gold.
Bravo all, on all levels.
:)
[
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The spooky, the mysterious...the bizarre! » » Imp Jar routine (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL