The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tenyo of Japan » » Hideo Kato Of Tenyo (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Inert
View Profile
Special user
Babbled incessantly for
683 Posts

Profile of Inert
Hideo Kato invented many fine illusions for Tenyo from 196? - 1991. He retired from Tenyo several years ago to pursue other areas of magic. His total Tenyo output stands at 15. For convenience sake, I've included his chronological trickography from earliest release to most recent. I find listing this way helps me to see an inventore's development through the years.

Survey time. It has been awhile around here. My question is this...If you could only choose 1 Hideo Kato illusion, which 1 would it be & why?

T-16 Mystic Ruby
T-38 Crystal Box
T-54 Melting Loop
T-90 Elevator Coins
T-96 Wandering Hole
T-97 Super Stick
T-115 Ultra Slice
T-116 Infinitum
T-121 The Golden Fleece
T-124 Mirror-Mate
T-126 Match-Sticks
T-131 The Moons Of Jupiter
T-136 GeomeTrick
T-144 Arcane
T-154 Mindscanner
Killertweety
View Profile
Inner circle
Belgium (-Europe)
1457 Posts

Profile of Killertweety
Tough dicision. I'd say Melting Loop because I'm missing that one and it's very rare. However the trick/gimmick itself is not new (it was back then, but not anymore at all).

So I'll go for Geometrick. Beautifully gimmicked and a real brain fooler - perhaps more a puzzle then a magic trick but it has people baffled. It can't be inspected however which is a shame.

Elevator Coins is a close second - I don't see it mentioned a lot but it's a great effect and the gimmick is something very special.
meridianfan
View Profile
Loyal user
259 Posts

Profile of meridianfan
My vote goes for mindscanner! An extremely clever idea. I've never seen melting loop- would love to see a video if anyone has a link.

John
Richard Kaufman
View Profile
Inner circle
2532 Posts

Profile of Richard Kaufman
There's no question that Wandering Hole is the most important: that was the inspiration for Pen Through Anything, now one of the most widely performed tricks in the world.
edshern
View Profile
Special user
957 Posts

Profile of edshern
The Wandering Hole. A classic, that they never expect. Only wish it locked.
dragonash
View Profile
Veteran user
the sticks
380 Posts

Profile of dragonash
I like the Moons of Jupiter.
- unusual effect
- interesting mechanics
- good visibility
- reliable when I am really careful
xl18
View Profile
Loyal user
291 Posts

Profile of xl18
I think I will put my vote in for Ultra Slice. I like the fact that there is a lot of handling involved and is not completely self working. I think it makes me feel more accomplished when I pull off one of these tricks:)
I also like the fact that the case looks completely normal for the most part yet every part of it is gaffed.
stereo
View Profile
Inner circle
France - Paris
1455 Posts

Profile of stereo
I agree, the 3 I like the most are, for me too, Moons of Jupiter, Ultra Slice and Match sticks.
magic patagonia
View Profile
Special user
570 Posts

Profile of magic patagonia
I vote for Ultra Slice......love the design, effect, method...
Inert
View Profile
Special user
Babbled incessantly for
683 Posts

Profile of Inert
According to the excellent Paul Hallas book, 'Still Small, Still Deadly,' (page 158), Hideo Kato has created over 1200 card effects. Now that's impressive! It appears that card tricks are Mr. Katos' primary love in magic. I am conjecturing that this is why he was a little less prolific than Mr. Sugawara or Mr. Kondo. Card tricks are not really Tenyo's forte'. There are exceptions of course, such as "Magic Painting' or "Grand Derby Prediction', but they are rare indeed.
dragonash
View Profile
Veteran user
the sticks
380 Posts

Profile of dragonash
Are his card tricks available somewhere?
Richard Kaufman
View Profile
Inner circle
2532 Posts

Profile of Richard Kaufman
Kato has published many of his card tricks in Japanese.
Inert
View Profile
Special user
Babbled incessantly for
683 Posts

Profile of Inert
'Miracle Eraser' card trick by Hideo Kato is on that page 158 mentioned above. It's in English. Look at the bright side Dragonash...we're now down to just 1199 or so left to find.Smile
dragonash
View Profile
Veteran user
the sticks
380 Posts

Profile of dragonash
Progress!
Inert
View Profile
Special user
Babbled incessantly for
683 Posts

Profile of Inert
Mr.Kato also has an excellent card trick named 'The Eyes Have It' published in Genii, Volume 50 - No.5.

Tannen's Magic Manuscript Nov./Dec.1989 has two additional card effects by Hideo Kato...'The Silent Count' & 'Down-Under Confusion'.

Both issues contain several effects by many of Tenyo's inventors.

Thank you Stereo for this info via one of your many great gift packages.
Inert
View Profile
Special user
Babbled incessantly for
683 Posts

Profile of Inert
Another card trick to add from Genii magazine, May 2000. 'Piano Without Keyboard'.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tenyo of Japan » » Hideo Kato Of Tenyo (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL