The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The side walk shuffle » » Diary of a Beginning Street Magician - Busking Lessons learned on the pitch! (9 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7~8~9
MagiCol
View Profile
Special user
Dargaville, New Zealand
929 Posts

Profile of MagiCol
Shaun, there has been discussion in one of the topics in Sidewalk Shuffle lately about the Monte.
There's a You Tube of Garret Thomas approach. I think it shows using a table.
I'm very glad that in my early days of learning [we never stop] I was influenced [not person to person, regretably] by JimmyTalksalot book and videos of him on YouTube, and I don't depend on a table. So all my current show is done stand-up.
Most stand-up workers, I hope, learn to use a helper's palm-up as a substitute for a table top.

I, and a few others, figured in that other topic I mention, that the Monte was a Draw type in a Magic Show.
So, if you care to share, how do you present the Monte as the finale, since what's going on is being shown to the big crowd?
Do you have a video up on YouTube of your presentation of it?
The presentation makes the magic.
MagiCol
View Profile
Special user
Dargaville, New Zealand
929 Posts

Profile of MagiCol
Shaun and others, the topic I refer to above about the Monte is at
http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewt......tart=0#9
and I think that is a better place to discuss how it is presented as a finale.
The presentation makes the magic.
Magician Shaun
View Profile
Special user
Huntington BCH, CA
924 Posts

Profile of Magician Shaun
MagiCol - In the above set of 6 tricks I would use the Spectator Silk to Egg as my Finale. Interestingly, I agree with Jimmy that it doesn't matter what you finish with, anything works fine. I suppose the stand-up monte is strong enough as a closer, so is a silk vanish. The reason that they are better suited to the DRAW is that they are easily repeatable. That being the number one factor for a Draw effect.

I think the reason that anything can be used as the finale is that most acts have cut all the "fat" so to speak and only the very best material is in the show. If that is the case, any effect that makes the list should be strong enough to be a finale not that it needs to be. If you couldn't finish your show with it, maybe you should consider cutting it....?
Szymon Krzysztoszek
View Profile
New user
Warsaw, Poland
78 Posts

Profile of Szymon Krzysztoszek
Nice, I will follow you and maybe use some of your ideas Shaun! Thanks you!
SugarRayRick
View Profile
Regular user
184 Posts

Profile of SugarRayRick
Thanks. Very helpful.

I will check out the Final Cut.
Jason Simonds
View Profile
Veteran user
Pensacola, FL
318 Posts

Profile of Jason Simonds
I'm curious why you chose that Silk to Egg? How many times a day do you plan to do that one?
jakeg
View Profile
Inner circle
1741 Posts

Profile of jakeg
Some great reading. Like taking a course.
Chatterbox41
View Profile
Veteran user
Atlanta, Georgia
349 Posts

Profile of Chatterbox41
So Magician Shaun, are you still working the streets? Would love to catch you sometime in the ATL!
JassTan
View Profile
Regular user
Singapore
105 Posts

Profile of JassTan
Wow so dedicated, I really enjoy reading/following your journey, truly inspiring. Cant wait to hear more from you.
Kyoki_Sanitys_Eclipse
View Profile
Inner circle
1513 Posts

Profile of Kyoki_Sanitys_Eclipse
Thanks Shaun for sharing your experience. I have just recently tried busking and your story makes me want to do more
252life
View Profile
Inner circle
Ninth Circle, Hades
3253 Posts

Profile of 252life
Amazing thread Shaun, thanks so much.
Look for all the world like you're counting the brain cells in his cranium.

-Theodore Annemann
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The side walk shuffle » » Diary of a Beginning Street Magician - Busking Lessons learned on the pitch! (9 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7~8~9
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL