The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The spooky, the mysterious...the bizarre! » » Creature (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

psychic
View Profile
Veteran user
337 Posts

Profile of psychic
Guys and bizarre experts out there, what do you think of this? I just saw this up today at http://www.hocus-pocus.com

I think if played well, I think it can freak some people out

Here's the write-up reproduced:

We all have them, little things living on us! You know, dust mites and small parasitic critters. You have most likely seen blown up photos in a science magazine or on television of them. Yuk!!!!

It is interesting to know and point out that some people have even larger things crawling about their person. Magicians have been known to carry a small demon familiar with them from time to time. To aid in certain spells and other magical endeavors. Something that must keep to the shadows. Only legend... until now.

Now you can produce a creature at any time in your cupped hands or from a silk scarf or coin purse. Once the creature is manifested itself, open your hands to reveal there is nothing there. Yet, you can re-cup your empty hands and produce the creature once more. Again open your hands to show nothing there.

Very easy to do so you can focus on the performance of the great routine and patter supplied or make up your own. This is a performance piece for that special moment when you feel like really freaking someone out! If you are always asked, "How did you do that?" Now, you can tell them that you have a little helper that does all your work for you. It creates a very strange moment.

Supplied with illustrated instructions for handling and the hand-crafted special effect gimmick. Due to arrive October 27 in time for Halloween, we cannot urge you enough to jump on this as soon as possible because we anticipate Creature to sell out fast!
sludge
View Profile
Special user
milton keynes, england
530 Posts

Profile of sludge
This sounds really neat. Is the picture on the site an actual photo as it looks pretty good too Smile
MindExplosion
View Profile
Regular user
133 Posts

Profile of MindExplosion
It sounds like something I've read somewhere...

Magic For Dummies, perhaps. Maybe not the same method though.
rowdymagi5
View Profile
Inner circle
Virginia
3624 Posts

Profile of rowdymagi5
Looks cool, too bad it isn't available until October 27, probably wont arrive in time for Halloween!
truthteller
View Profile
Inner circle
2584 Posts

Profile of truthteller
Is this the old gag with the little baby's hand redone with a creature's face?
boblinds
View Profile
Regular user
Los Angeles
111 Posts

Profile of boblinds
That creature image looks like a still from Benjamin Christiansen's silent film "Witchcraft Through the Ages." I suspect it is not the actual creature.
ALEXANDRE
View Profile
Inner circle
3024 Posts

Profile of ALEXANDRE
Alain Nu has a similar routine called "Homunculus - The Pocket Monster!". I have it and have tons of fun with it, specially with my nephews.

Using a small prop, it's basically the illusion of a little "monster" you have hanging around.

http://www.EyesandMinds.com Smile
Necromancer
View Profile
Inner circle
Chicago
3076 Posts

Profile of Necromancer
Quote:
On 2003-10-14 13:35, truthteller wrote:

Sure sounds like it to me. And yes, MindExplosion, it is in Magic For Dummies ("Creepy Baby Hand").

Ed Solomon details the way he makes his own at the amazing bizarre site, Dragonskull.co.uk (his surprisingly elaborate routine is called "The Littlest Demon," and can be reached through the Secret Passage).
Creator of The Xpert (20 PAGES of reviews!), Cut & Color, Hands-Off Multiple ESP (HOME) System, Rider-Waite Readers book, Zoom Pendulum ebook ...
truthteller
View Profile
Inner circle
2584 Posts

Profile of truthteller
And for the record, Steve Beam has a fun version where it looks as if he is holding a we little person in his cupped hands. Feet kick and the hand waves. Very fun. See the Trapdoor for more information.
J.Warrens
View Profile
Inner circle
Canada
1098 Posts

Profile of J.Warrens
Greetings!
Once, while visiting Jeff McBride at his house, he showed me something similar. I am not saying it's the same thing, or same method, but he would talk about his "inner child" coming out, and out came this wriggling baby arm, accompanied by baby sound effects from Jeff. It was pretty funny to say the least! Especially coming from Jeff. He excels at being able to keep you on your toes, and I am often surprised, by the great different kinds of effects he does.
Anyways, I seem to be wandering here.The effect used simple common thimble moves, and this "creature" effect gives me the same sort of vibe. It does look very cool though. I have a magic shop, and will be receiving these tommorrow from our wholesaler. To be honest, I kinda want to play with it myself. They do look creepy.
Cheers,
J.Warrens
mghia
View Profile
Veteran user
Kymystical
387 Posts

Profile of mghia
I am still unclear what the effect is. Something appears in your hand but how does it look? Says this works with a scarf or coin purse as well as the cupped hands. Any more info?
Limits?
Doug Byrd
View Profile
Veteran user
VA
361 Posts

Profile of Doug Byrd
Carl Herron (Brother Shadow) used the arm gag to good effect when he was employed be the parks and recreation department.

It was in, I believe, M-U-M magazine (the magazine for the Society of American Magician).

Doug
"Sic gorgiamus allos subjectatos nunc"
ELS
View Profile
Regular user
Chicagoland area, IL
191 Posts

Profile of ELS
Quote:
On 2003-10-15 13:40, Necromancer wrote:
Quote:
On 2003-10-14 13:35, truthteller wrote:

Sure sounds like it to me. And yes, MindExplosion, it is in Magic For Dummies ("Creepy Baby Hand").

Ed Solomon details the way he makes his own at the amazing bizarre site, Dragonskull.co.uk (his surprisingly elaborate routine is called "The Littlest Demon," and can be reached through the Secret Passage).

This is a fantastic site, many things and ideas to be found.

Ed Smile
Were the border between the natural and the supernatural will be nothing any more but fuzzy. http://edwardshanahan.com
J.Warrens
View Profile
Inner circle
Canada
1098 Posts

Profile of J.Warrens
Greetings!
The creature trick does live up to your suspicions, looks very life-like,too. I own one, and also sell them.
Cheers,
J.Warrens
RC4MAG
View Profile
Special user
563 Posts

Profile of RC4MAG
I have been doing Creature now for two weeks and get great reactions. It actually plays better than you would think. I recently changed my routine to end it with apparantly lightly tossing the Creature towards my spectator whio never fails to flinch and then is startled by the vanish.
The only draw back to owning one is the high $30 price.
Sam Haine
View Profile
Regular user
San Jose, CA
159 Posts

Profile of Sam Haine
Greetings,

I have a generally positive review for Creature. The color of the thing makes it not entirely easy to hide in normal lighting. And the material on mine was particularly thin and it cracked on the side. Fortunately, that part need never be visible and it is still workable.

Despite that, it does garner very strong reactions. The "less is more" is definitely critical to its use. By just allowing a slight moving glimpse, it is far more effective.

However, I did not like the routines that were offered. They aren't clearly justified and the endings/cleanups are a bit dubious.

So, for those who have it, how are you routining it?

Yours truly has been kicking around blowing out a small candle and catching the smoke. Showing the creature, then lowering my hands and creature back onto the candle and having it relight. (Think birthday candle in a dollhouse size candlestick.)

Also considering using the NH4+HCl reaction to make some smoke as I summon the creature, display and dispel it with a pinch of "salt".

Other ideas for throughlines with Creature?

Sincerely,
Sam Haine
Magical entertainment for charities www.sam-haine.com
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The spooky, the mysterious...the bizarre! » » Creature (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL