The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Books, Pamphlets & Lecture Notes » » THE REAL DEAL - Survival Guide For Magicians by Paul Romhany (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

EVILDAN
View Profile
Inner circle
1279 Posts

Profile of EVILDAN
If I had to narrow my magical library down to 10 books, this would be on the shelf.

This is by far the most valuable book I've read for ANY working performer even though some of the info is more geared specifically towards magicians.

I once read that when they write an artificial intelligence program for robots, they have to put in a lot of "white logic" (not sure if that's the correct term). It's the stuff that we just know through living. For example, we know that if we tilt a glass of water too much, water will begin to spill over the edge. We know this because we handle and drink liquid out of glasses on a regular basis. This knowledge allows us to hold and carry a glass of water during a party in someone's house without having the carpet become a waterlogged mess. Black logic would be directions programming a robot on how to pick up a glass of water. White logic is that knowledge of spill/not spill that has to be programmed so that a robot can pick up a glass of water and manuever it around without spilling it. And yet, we just know it and don't even give it a second thought.

Your act and your booking dates are the black logic. Everything else that makes you a seasoned pro is the white logic.

This book is like all that VALUABLE white logic, that practical advice that makes your life easier, that information that you gather over the years of performing on the road, all in one spot. It's the stuff that's just usually passed along amongst friends during conversation. It's the stuff you don't read about it books. Well that's all changed. It's in this book!!!!

There's advice on how to pack for travelling, travelling on airplanes, what to do if you get to a gig and your luggage with props went somewhere else, passports, contact lenses, cell phones, shoes, stiff muscles, chapped lips, etc. I'm sure some of those never even crossed your mind. BUT, they are important and can factor in whether your show is a success and whether you get repeat bookings.

There is advice for becoming a better performer, how to talk into a microphone, layout of a stage so you don't look like an idiot when you get to work with a professional theater crew, promotional tips, how to make more money, how to carry your gear, etc.

This is then followed by MORE advice and tips from OVER 50 professional magicians. So you don't get just one person's knowledge and advice. You are getting advice from over 50 professionals. It's an easy read and once you start you won't want to put it down. Grab yourself a highlighter before you do open the book, you'll need it.

I can't recommend this book enough. It's just that good. It is "The Real Deal."
by EVILDAN....
"The Coin Board Book" - moves and routines with the coin panel board. - http://www.lybrary.com/the-coin-board-book-p-827955.html
"SLASHER - A Horror Whodunnit" - a bizarre close-up routine based on Bob Neale's "Sole Survivor."
PM me for more info.
"Zombie Town" - a packet effect about how a small town turned into zombies. https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=nzJhcoJtyOM
EVILDAN
View Profile
Inner circle
1279 Posts

Profile of EVILDAN
No other comments?

Didn't anyone else buy this book?

You people are really missing out.
by EVILDAN....
"The Coin Board Book" - moves and routines with the coin panel board. - http://www.lybrary.com/the-coin-board-book-p-827955.html
"SLASHER - A Horror Whodunnit" - a bizarre close-up routine based on Bob Neale's "Sole Survivor."
PM me for more info.
"Zombie Town" - a packet effect about how a small town turned into zombies. https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=nzJhcoJtyOM
chrisbeason
View Profile
New user
16 Posts

Profile of chrisbeason
Nice review!

I am definitely buying this with my next magic order. Seems INCREDIBLY useful. I will post my thoughts when I receive it!
Sean Macfarlane
View Profile
Special user
880 Posts

Profile of Sean Macfarlane
Waiting for mine to arrive.
Ba Ba Booey
View Profile
Special user
In Denver, I have no less than
548 Posts

Profile of Ba Ba Booey
Anyone get this book? I haven't seen any other reviews, but I have heard it's a good book. Anyone? Anyone? Bueller?
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Books, Pamphlets & Lecture Notes » » THE REAL DEAL - Survival Guide For Magicians by Paul Romhany (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL