The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Books, Pamphlets & Lecture Notes » » The Dance-Cold Reading Book (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
Mikael Eriksson
View Profile
Inner circle
None of your business
1064 Posts

Profile of Mikael Eriksson
Quote:
On 2003-11-06 21:06, Ben Cummings wrote:
I interviewed Brad for my "Conversations with mind readers" project that many have heard about.

I have read your site, but he is not even mentioned there...?

Bill Cushman's comment makes it all even more mysterious:

"I don't have the book, but I will second Ben's comments about the interview. Some very powerful and thought provoking ideas."

Mikael
Gregg Tobo
View Profile
New user
Denver
64 Posts

Profile of Gregg Tobo
Brad Henderson's interview is on Volume II of "Conversations with Mentalist."

Ben's website provides only a partial list of Volume II contributors. Brad is one of the five left unmentioned.

Gregg Tobo
Mikael Eriksson
View Profile
Inner circle
None of your business
1064 Posts

Profile of Mikael Eriksson
Quote:
On 2003-11-16 21:19, Gregg Tobo wrote:

Brad Henderson's interview is on Volume II of "Conversations with Mentalist."

Ben's website provides only a partial list of Volume II contributors. Brad is one of the five left unmentioned.

Gregg Tobo

Ah, ok. Thanks.

Mikael
Scott Wells
View Profile
Inner circle
Houston, TX
1025 Posts

Profile of Scott Wells
Although the thread here is about The Dance, I must say how much I am enjoying Conversations with Mind Readers with Ben Cummings. I would heartily endorse the entire CD set and there are more than a few gems on EVERY CD.

But since this thread is all about Brad, let me say here how much I particularly enjoyed Brad's frank, candid and honest, "no puches pulled" interview. He dropped more than a few diamonds on this CD. Excellent work, my friend.

And Ben, although I don't personally know you, I feel as if I do now that I have heard you on the CD's. You have a good interviewing personality and the questions were well thought out and resulted in some insightful answers that might have otherwise been left off by some other interviewer. I liked the fact that you let the subject talk without interjecting your own opinions or personal stories. After all...the topic should have focused on the interviewee...not the interviewer. And you stayed on point. Good work, Ben.

yours,
Scott Wells
"A magician who isn't working is only fooling himself." - Scott Wells, M.I.M.C. with Gold Star

The Magic Word podcast: http://themagicwordpodcast.com Listen to convention coverage, interviews with magicians, pictures, videos and more.

Magic Inspirations website for all things Banachek: www.magicinspirations.net
Bill Cushman
View Profile
Inner circle
Florida
2876 Posts

Profile of Bill Cushman
Scott,

I have to second everything you said. If Brad is half as entertaining and dynamic in performance as he is on his interview he must be an awesome performer.

As for your comment to Ben about feeling like you know him personally after listening to the interviews, I emailed him virtually the same thoughts! He is also a pleasure to do business with and very committed to putting the customer first. Like you and your friend and business partner Banachek who provided a great interview as well.

Bill
Greg Arce
View Profile
Inner circle
6732 Posts

Profile of Greg Arce
I've seen Brad perform several times now... and he is just as entertaining to watch as he is to listen to. He brings brilliant presentations to all of his work and spices them with humor. I just got his book The Dance and I'm in the midst of reading it. So far... so great!
Greg
One of my favorite quotes: "A critic is a legless man who teaches running."
truthteller
View Profile
Inner circle
2584 Posts

Profile of truthteller
Thanks for all the kind words. If you would like more reviews see:

http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewt......10&2

Also, Here Is a review from the Genii forum by our own Lance Pierce:

Having just finished The Dance, I have to say the book is pretty much as Brad described it. I've read several treatises on cold reading; many have been merely catalogues of lines and demographic facts for readers' use (most people have childhood scars on their knees and primarily the left one, "I sense some apprehension concerning doctors and hospitals," etc.) Some of these books offer ancillary thoughts on what reading is all about, but for the most part, they're simply lists (albeit very useful ones).

Brad's book, however, strikes from a different direction, focusing intensely on what cold reading is as a system and a process...and even more importantly, on the relationship that exists between the reader and the sitter. He also spends a good deal of time discussing the ethics of cold reading and the reasons WHY we do it. In other words, he discusses it as if it were a performance art.

Because Brad is such a strong thinker, his work on this is exemplary. If there's to be any caveat, it's that whether you're reading one of his books or talking to him in person, he often exhibits a nearly dizzying intellect, and some may feel it easy to be left behind. This isn't a major concern, though (if it's indeed one at all), because in person he's so personable and kind and in writing he's so clear and concise that with just a bit of care in reading (or listening) everything falls into place fairly easily.

Brad also writes this book with a great deal of candor, which can be either refreshing or threatening, depending on whether or not you feel guilty of what he's discussing at the moment. He discusses the danger of ego and the seduction of power, warning that if the sitter's concerns aren't the primary focus, one shouldn't be reading in the first place. He touches on the misuses of cold reading and the inherent pitfalls. It's apparent that he knows of these because he's been there and grown through them. The book isn't merely an academic text; it's borne from experience and practice.

Personally, I thought The Dance is a great read and deserves to be on the shelf right next to the other classics on cold reading.
David Numen
View Profile
Inner circle
2076 Posts

Profile of David Numen
Don't have Ian's book (it's one of the few cold reading books I actually don't have) but what I understand from people who know what they are talking about is that, whilst thorough, it's written from the point of view of how a skeptic imagines psychic readings are done.
The Dance appears to be the real works by someone with real experience.

Regards,

David.
Anabelle
View Profile
Special user
951 Posts

Profile of Anabelle
I do a lot of cold sort of readings and I think I'm going to get this book, sounds awesome! I'm sure I'll learn a lot from it!

Anabelle Smile
truthteller
View Profile
Inner circle
2584 Posts

Profile of truthteller
For some reviews of the Dance, check out:

http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewt......10&5

I hope this helps answer your questions. If not, PM me and I'll do my best!

Brad
Tony Miller
View Profile
Loyal user
233 Posts

Profile of Tony Miller
Bringing this thread back up. Just had a dinner with an old friend and he recommended this book. Is it still available?
__
"If you want magic in your life, start thinking like a magician." - Scott Grossberg
Tom G
View Profile
Inner circle
2895 Posts

Profile of Tom G
Believe he did have another print, so it should be available.

Tom
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Books, Pamphlets & Lecture Notes » » The Dance-Cold Reading Book (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL