The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Falconry (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

magicfish
View Profile
Inner circle
7016 Posts

Profile of magicfish
This is an interest of mine and I wondered if any of you are too?
magicfish
View Profile
Inner circle
7016 Posts

Profile of magicfish
Interested in falconry that is. Poor sentence structure above.
Marlin1894
View Profile
Special user
559 Posts

Profile of Marlin1894
I'm intersted in it, but I don't know much about it. I've seen video of people using falcons to hunt quail and it looked pretty cool

I know it's an expensive hobby and it's pretty tightly regulated, you have to take a test and be licensed etc.

I called in a falcon a few weeks ago when I was trying to call in a fox or coyote. It was a kestrel.
ed rhodes
View Profile
Inner circle
Rhode Island
2889 Posts

Profile of ed rhodes
Quote:
On 2012-07-24 10:50, magicfish wrote:
Interested in falconry that is. Poor sentence structure above.

Maybe he's Yoda.

I can't find an easy link to the cartoon, but I think of Gary Larson's "The Far Side" where one side of a hedge had a falconers club and the other side had a tea cup poodle owners picnic. The caption; "Trouble brewing."
"...and if you're too afraid of goin' astray, you won't go anywhere." - Granny Weatherwax
Pop Haydn
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles
3691 Posts

Profile of Pop Haydn
Gazzo was a falconer. He learned his leatherwork making tack for his falcons.
MagicSanta
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern Nevada
5841 Posts

Profile of MagicSanta
I know a guy in Ireland who loves it. The training is facinating and the birds impressive. I heard in the US the trained ones go for ten grand.
magicfish
View Profile
Inner circle
7016 Posts

Profile of magicfish
The kestrel is a beatiful bird of prey.

Click here to view attached image.
Marlin1894
View Profile
Special user
559 Posts

Profile of Marlin1894
Quote:
On 2012-07-24 14:27, magicfish wrote:
The kestrel is a beatiful bird of prey.

They are. They are cool to watch too. They kind of hover in one place then they dive bomb and practically crash into the ground.

Without knowing too much about the sport I would guess kestrels are a good bird to begin with. Being so small and fairly common.
MagicSanta
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern Nevada
5841 Posts

Profile of MagicSanta
Birds of prey are cool, we have a lot here. My favorite are owls. They fly over at night and don't make a sound, some are big. We have a phone system here where those of us wit small dogs call if an eagle is around. Eagles are very big birds.
Marlin1894
View Profile
Special user
559 Posts

Profile of Marlin1894
Quote:
On 2012-07-24 19:29, MagicSanta wrote:
Birds of prey are cool, we have a lot here. My favorite are owls. They fly over at night and don't make a sound, some are big. We have a phone system here where those of us wit small dogs call if an eagle is around. Eagles are very big birds.

If you have a squeeky dog toy that makes a high pitched squealing sound, try standing outside some night in a secluded spot and give it few squeeks. Don't over do it, just a few short squeeks and maybe a longer squeek or two. Then wait. If an owl hears it and thinks it's a small rodent in distress it may come to you and fly around or perch nearby.
MagicSanta
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern Nevada
5841 Posts

Profile of MagicSanta
Cool. A ngiant snow owl sat on a fence in Washington about 15 feet away and I sat and wathedit. Great birds.
Dreadnought
View Profile
Special user
Athens, Georgia
836 Posts

Profile of Dreadnought
Saints fan, can't stand the falcons.

Peace and Godspeed.
Peace

"Ave Maria gratia plena Dominus tecum..."

Scott

Would you do anything for the person you love?
Marlin1894
View Profile
Special user
559 Posts

Profile of Marlin1894
Quote:
On 2012-07-24 23:50, Dreadnought wrote:

Saints fan, can't stand the falcons.

Put a bounty on them.
magicfish
View Profile
Inner circle
7016 Posts

Profile of magicfish
I love owls. Ive been trying to find information about owls for falconry but havent found much. Perhaps theyre impractical?
magicfish
View Profile
Inner circle
7016 Posts

Profile of magicfish
Which bird is considered the ultimate? For example, in Ontario, fly fishers pursue the brown trout. Other trout are prized, but the brownie seems to be the holy grail. Which raptor is the pinnacle I wonder. Is it the Goshawk?Is it an eagle?
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Falconry (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL