The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The International Brotherhood of Magicians! » » Close up Magic Contest question (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

MikeTheKid
View Profile
Veteran user
vancouver
329 Posts

Profile of MikeTheKid
Hi there

I am not sure if this is the right place to post a question, I am thinking to join a close up contest next year,

what are the things I need to know ? WHat are the major things judge look at it ?

Does it has to be a routine ? or just effects ?

Thank you so much for help.

Mike
---------------------------------------------

Magic is a performing art that entertains an audience by creating illusions of seemingly impossible....

www.mikeliumagic.com
Dr. Reneau
View Profile
New user
43 Posts

Profile of Dr. Reneau
Ech competition has its own rules, but always perform a routine, not just effects, one after another. Good luck.
Eric Jamborsky

Dr. Reneau,
Headmaster,
Hogwash School of Really Weird Stuff
Payne
View Profile
Inner circle
Seattle
4571 Posts

Profile of Payne
My guidelines for entering a Close-Up contest.

Never do close-up in a close-up contest. Every close-up contest that I have won, I've won by doing platform or parlour effects. If you must do close-up then perform it as if it was a platform or parlour effect. Too many novice close-up contestants play to the people sitting at the table or he first row of the audience. A definite no-no in my book. Play to the back of the room. Even if the people sitting in the back can't see what you're doing they'll know what you're doing if you present it properly.

I can't speak for other judges. But when I judge a contest be it close-up or stage, I'm looking for originality, presentation and presence. I'll score an original presentation (even if it's a standard effect) performed by someone who takes control over their performing space over some knuckle buster presenting technically flawless sleights but who can't perform their way out of a paper sack.

You should present a routine with a beginning a middle and an end. It should either be one trick or three for theatrical reasons which are too long to go into here. Read Burger on this.

Never do a marketed effect as is. Always put your unique spin on the effect. Make it yours. Over the years I've seen multiple people doing Tabaray's rope routine move for move just like they learned it off of the DVD. This is like repainting the Mona Lisa. You might be very good at it but you'll never win a prize in an art show by doing it. Never do "just effects". But then that goes for the performance of all magic and not just contests.

Never set out to fool an audience of magician's. It's a fools errand. Even if you're successful in doing so they will never admit it. Work at entertaining them instead
"America's Foremost Satirical Magician" -- Jeff McBride.
harris
View Profile
Inner circle
Harris Deutsch
8812 Posts

Profile of harris
For a while, I took out the killer sleights and concentrated on originality.

These days I do both. For the ring 129 MOY, I used stuff from Curtis K's wonderful Palms of Steel, but also put me into it.

Harmonica and a disposible razor for magic wands, and for the finale produced electric hair clippers instead of a jumbo coin.

Hmmm should I be a 3rd rate copy or 1st rate me?

Harris
still 2 old to know it all
Harris Deutsch aka dr laugh
drlaugh4u@gmail.com
music, magic and marvelous toys
http://magician.org/member/drlaugh4u
Calvin Tong
View Profile
Special user
718 Posts

Profile of Calvin Tong
Mike,

Each organization has their own spin on the rules. Start with the organization that is holding the competition (ie...IBM, SAM, FISM, Magic Circles, etc....)
Cal Tong
President Emeritus
IBM Ring 216 Silicon Valley
Bill Wells
View Profile
Elite user
Lexington, VA
457 Posts

Profile of Bill Wells
Mike -

Contact Oscar Munoz who is in charge of the IBM contests for the rules and entry forms for the IBM contests. Oscar's email is oscarmunoz@mac.com . I am sure Oscar will be happy to try and answer your questions.

Bill
solrak29
View Profile
Special user
NY Metro
936 Posts

Profile of solrak29
Quote:
On 2012-08-09 10:49, Payne wrote:
Never do close-up in a close-up contest. Every close-up contest that I have won, I've won by doing platform or parlour effects.

I've found this to be very true in the organization I belong to also.
It kinda contradicts the whole thing, but it is probably better than
not to approach your close up magic this way anyway...
To Find Me On The Pitch, Follow me :On Twitter
Checkout my pseudo blog : The Sidewalk Performers Forum

"I intend to live forever, or die trying" - Groucho Marx
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The International Brotherhood of Magicians! » » Close up Magic Contest question (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL