The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » All tied up! » » Strait Jacket Escape under Icy Water (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

chrusa
View Profile
Special user
Connecticut
736 Posts

Profile of chrusa
I tried using the search function and found stuff about underwater escapes but nothing under icy cold January water. I have done it underwater before but was wondering if what effects the icy cold water can have and how it will affect my escape. I plan on doing this during a polar plunge event. Any advice??
Thanks,
<BR>
<BR>Chris Hrusa
Ian McColl
View Profile
Inner circle
1493 Posts

Profile of Ian McColl
Make lots of money from it. Don't do it for youtube or any other naff reason.
jay leslie
View Profile
V.I.P.
Southern California
9498 Posts

Profile of jay leslie
Advice:
Only if you can do it successfully in a freezing pool twice a day for a month. That's ,of course, with safety people on site.

Exerting yourself will cause hypothermia in a short time so you need safety divers and paramedics at the ready if you ever attempt this under ice. They all should have seareated knives on them.

This should be sold as a feature on a TV special because of the danger.
Wolflock
View Profile
Inner circle
South Africa
2257 Posts

Profile of Wolflock
I agree with the above comments. Did an escape from the Alantic Ocean (Beach Gig, not the middle of it - LOL) in Cape Town SA, which is not Exactly Icy Water, but it is very cold and cause quite a bit of problems. Numbness in the hands and fingers caused a lot of problems (You will understand if you have some Escape experience). My Suggestion would be to maybe ask Dean Gunnarson (sp) who did some Ice style escapes in China just recently.
Wolflock
Pro Magician & Escapologist
Member of JMC (Johannesburg Magic Circle)
South Africa
dave_matkin
View Profile
Inner circle
4522 Posts

Profile of dave_matkin
Safety ...... Have as much in place as you can, plan every aspect from beginning to end. Seek an expert on survival in cold water (Tam can probably help out).

It was not ice old but ...... As a reckless teenager (18) I worked at a leisure centre and got free access to all parts of the centre. I used sauna a lot. One night my colleague had turned the sauna up to full. I was in there for a good while and then went for a swim. I was very hot from the sauna. I remember diving, don't remember much else all a bit foggy and dark ( not at all my normal diving into pool experience). To be blunt the few seconds of unconsciousness was bleeding scary. Never did it again!!!

I would suggest getting used to extreme temperature changes if it is at all possible. But hat is just my one off experience and may not be typical ..... Get advice from a doctor or someone who really knows ....... It's just not worth the risk.

But best of luck when /if it goes ahead.

I would say do the same as HH did in the film - have a bath of ice ...... But I think practising a SJ escape in a bath might be hard. And to cool a swimming pool down to v-cold will take a lot of ice. Smile
dave_matkin
View Profile
Inner circle
4522 Posts

Profile of dave_matkin
Quote:
On 2012-07-28 11:07, Wolflock wrote:
I agree with the above comments. Did an escape from the Alantic Ocean
.......)

. My Suggestion wouto maybe ask Dean Gunnarson (sp)

Oh so you care about the spelling of DG's name but not the 'Alantic'. Smile

I love it when I spot spelling mistakes ........ It's rare that I notice so it makes me smile to myself.... I know it's,probably a typo not really a spelling mistake......

No a fence meant Wolflock

All the best Dave
Moxahalla
View Profile
Special user
Los Angeles
751 Posts

Profile of Moxahalla
Just for the sake of escape history - Escapist Anthony Martin escaped from a steel box that had a Folger-Adam jail lock on it...from under ice on a frozen lake...on his American national TV Special several years ago.

I recall him wearing full scuba gear (w/o tanks) & mask.
Wolflock
View Profile
Inner circle
South Africa
2257 Posts

Profile of Wolflock
Quote:
On 2012-07-28 11:32, dave_matkin wrote:
Quote:
On 2012-07-28 11:07, Wolflock wrote:
I agree with the above comments. Did an escape from the Alantic Ocean
.......)

. My Suggestion wouto maybe ask Dean Gunnarson (sp)

Oh so you care about the spelling of DG's name but not the 'Alantic'. Smile

I love it when I spot spelling mistakes ........ It's rare that I notice so it makes me smile to myself.... I know it's,probably a typo not really a spelling mistake......

No a fence meant Wolflock

All the best Dave

Well Yeah! Have you seen Dean's Hands? He may put me through a wall if he hit me with them. I think I may take my chances against the ATlantic. Smile
Wolflock
South Africa
dave_matkin
View Profile
Inner circle
4522 Posts

Profile of dave_matkin
Smile

I have to say aim not as familiar with Dean's hands as you seem to be! Smile

@ Moxahalla .....

I'd want a heated scuba suit, heated blanket and a small hidden electric heater in the box ....... Actually maybe not electric....
Wolflock
View Profile
Inner circle
South Africa
2257 Posts

Profile of Wolflock
Quote:
On 2012-07-29 04:06, dave_matkin wrote:
:)

I have to say aim not as familiar with Dean's hands as you seem to be! Smile

Ouch, you wicked man. Smile
Wolflock
South Africa
chrusa
View Profile
Special user
Connecticut
736 Posts

Profile of chrusa
This would be in long island sound which is not as cold as the Atlantic or a lake I forgot to mention that.
Thanks,
<BR>
<BR>Chris Hrusa
dave_matkin
View Profile
Inner circle
4522 Posts

Profile of dave_matkin
Oh so it's more like having a soak in a cold bath then? ............ All be it the bath at the local Rugby club (a sport a bit like American Football...... But for tough people who don't need lots of padding Smile .... Or as some put it.... Rugby a game played b men with odd shaped balls) after they have used it for a post match de-muddying. ..... Or is the water quality better than that? I'm thinking cold may not be the only 'issue' to think about...... Mmmminyeresting nice! Keep your mouth shut!
jay leslie
View Profile
V.I.P.
Southern California
9498 Posts

Profile of jay leslie
And, of coarse, you'll have extra hands available with a spare scuba tank and a tow rope attached to your ankle.
dave_matkin
View Profile
Inner circle
4522 Posts

Profile of dave_matkin
But most of all your mouth shut!!!!

Jay shouldn't the tow rope attached to a toe not the ankle? Is it for being dragged to death over broken glass behind a speedboat?
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » All tied up! » » Strait Jacket Escape under Icy Water (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL