The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Table hoppers & party strollers » » Filming table hopping session (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21263 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Quote:
On 2012-08-02 20:55, Dima Mystery Artist wrote:
Editing is important, I will leave it to the professional!

The odds of making a good video with this attitude are tremendously in your favor my friend.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
bishthemagish
View Profile
Inner circle
6013 Posts

Profile of bishthemagish
Quote:
On 2012-08-02 21:00, Dima Mystery Artist wrote:
Glenn it looks like you have really amazing hypnosis show!!

Thanks - I edit my stuff myself - I took more than one class to learn how to edit.
Glenn Bishop Cardician

Producer of the DVD Punch Deal Pro

Publisher of Glenn Bishop's Ace Cutting And Block Transfer Triumphs
imgic
View Profile
Inner circle
Moved back to Midwest to see
1338 Posts

Profile of imgic
Quote:
On 2012-08-02 18:42, bishthemagish wrote:
As I said above I used Studio 8 to edit all my 10 DVD's I did on artistic card and other magic. Plus I used it to make promo's for my web site and promo DVD's. I think it is the best!

http://www.mrhypnotist.org/video/hyp.wmv

Glenn:

Great video...some outstanding clips of your hypnosis work: but I'd like to offer some constructive criticism. The text scrolling you have looks homemade: it's a very low end effect, and the green text color is splotchy. They hynpocircle transistions you have are kinda cool: it fits your theme, but you don't use them consistently, and a higher end software would give you a smoother transisiton. Also, you've got a 1 second cut to a billboard or sign for Mr Hypnotist...it's too quick to read...why have the shot? Also, the fox news clip you had was confusing. There was music playing, so I didn't hear what was being said, and it appeared you were throwing a ball onto a board...didn't fit into hypnosis. While it's a great video, it really could be taken up to next level with professional editing and production. It could highlight even more the fantastic hypnosis act you have. Just trying to provide some critical constructive comments....
"Imagination is more important than knowledge."
bishthemagish
View Profile
Inner circle
6013 Posts

Profile of bishthemagish
Imgic the clips are old, I am old and one of these days I will put another promo video up there. I have lost a lot of weight since those days. Getting new footage is the problem, I am also not in a hurry to change it because - the promo is not about me. It is about the laughter and the fun.

The laughter in the background is what sells my show.

I have the same feeling about the show - it is about me stepping aside and let the audience helpers (subjects) shine and show their talent. I feel that is where a lot of hypnotists make the biggest mistake and that is that they compete with their helpers - me I let the helpers show their talents and the show is about them not me.

The fun comes from the situation comedy of the different routines and how the helpers react in the theater of the bizarre.

By the way that one second clip is from me doing the bed of nails with Steve Davis (memories of Elvis show) that was appearing down the street. The bit was I hypnotized him and he laid down on a bed of nails and Fox news came out and did a news feature out of it. This promoted both our shows his at the pageant theater and mine in the Duck Room at Blueberry Hill Night club. The clip used to be on my web site - I took it down because of space. However it is still part of the DVD that I mail out.
Glenn Bishop Cardician

General_Magician
View Profile
Special user
United States
707 Posts

Profile of General_Magician
Personally, I would just rather pay a professional to edit any videos that really need to look good and professional. The professionals generally do a better job than I do and it frees up more time for me to practice my magic. Having good high quality magic is ultimately your most important marketing tool and not the video (though the video is very important).

But if you neglect the quality of your magic even if you have a great looking and professional video because you are simply spending more time trying to learn how to edit videos and then actually editing and creating those videos yourself then you are ultimately shooting yourself in the foot as a professional magician because the quality of your magic will slide because you hadn't had as much time to practice. You might be able to fool somebody once with a high quality video, but you won't fool them twice and in the long term neglecting the quality of your magic will cost you more than the money that you would save in the short term by learning how to edit and create the videos yourself.

How I got a lot of my clients was not through a video, but them having an opportunity see and watch my magic in person and seeing first hand themselves the quality of my magic. That being said, video is an important marketing tool, but not the most important. It takes time and hard work to edit and create professional video, but that is also true with the performance of magic.
"Never fear shadows. They simply mean there is a light shining somewhere nearby." -unknown

Company Website
Facebook Business Page
Twitter Business Page
Alan Munro
View Profile
Inner circle
Kentwood, Michigan, USA
5952 Posts

Profile of Alan Munro
It also helps if you have a camera man who has extensive experience filming in an industrial setting. That way, they're aware of their surroundings. They're not falling over a table or tripping over patrons.
bishthemagish
View Profile
Inner circle
6013 Posts

Profile of bishthemagish
This thread reminded me of something Buddy Farnan said to me years ago. He was drawing a poster for our magic shop and I remarked how great of an artist he was and he said - "learn useful things for promotion besides magic and entertainment and you don't have to "pay" anyone to do it (if it is soneting in promotion that needs to be done). And you can just do it yourself and "save" money.

That is why I took classes on how to "edit".

Cheers!
Glenn Bishop Cardician

imgic
View Profile
Inner circle
Moved back to Midwest to see
1338 Posts

Profile of imgic
But just as many magicians over estimate their skill, too often people over estimate their ability to draw, edit and create graphic art. Much of it is fine, but I've yet to see work from an armature that's on par with a professional. With software out today, anyone can do some amazing things. But a good professional will always take it to the next level.
"Imagination is more important than knowledge."
General_Magician
View Profile
Special user
United States
707 Posts

Profile of General_Magician
Quote:
On 2012-08-06 17:49, imgic wrote:
But just as many magicians over estimate their skill, too often people over estimate their ability to draw, edit and create graphic art. Much of it is fine, but I've yet to see work from an armature that's on par with a professional. With software out today, anyone can do some amazing things. But a good professional will always take it to the next level.

That's probably true. I just prefer to pay somebody else to do the video editing because first and foremost I am a magician, not a professional video editor. I like to do only what I am talented at and delegate the rest.

There are also opportunity costs associated with taking the time to learn a new skill and use that new skill to do some editing yourself in a bid to save yourself some short term costs. But the opportunity costs can inflict some long term dollar costs that will be far more costly in the long term than the money you save in the short term learning a new skill to a level which is acceptable to your business (which those opportunity costs come in the form of less time for practicing the performance of magic, maintaining and improving the quality of your magic performance and coming up with new material for the performance of magic and that can hurt your marketing efforts and competiveness as well and you will probably have less time for family and other things because you are trying to do it all in your business rather than delegating some things that should be left to professionals who have far more knowledge and experience in those fields).

You can't be a master of all trades. You have to pick a skill or trade and narrowly focus on it (which that skill, craft or trade should be the primary focus of your business) and be good at it and that's important because again, that is your most powerful and effective marketing tool.
"Never fear shadows. They simply mean there is a light shining somewhere nearby." -unknown

Company Website
Facebook Business Page
Twitter Business Page
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21263 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Wow. SO TRUE. Good points.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
bishthemagish
View Profile
Inner circle
6013 Posts

Profile of bishthemagish
Quote:
On 2012-08-06 17:49, imgic wrote:
But a good professional will always take it to the next level.

In my "experience" in "working" in television and video this is not always the case.
Glenn Bishop Cardician

bishthemagish
View Profile
Inner circle
6013 Posts

Profile of bishthemagish
Quote:
On 2012-08-06 21:25, General_Magician wrote:
I just prefer to pay somebody else to do the video editing because first and foremost I am a magician, not a professional video editor. I like to do only what I am talented at and delegate the rest.

There are also opportunity costs associated with taking the time to learn a new skill and use that new skill to do some editing yourself in a bid to save yourself some short term costs. But the opportunity costs can inflict some long term dollar costs that will be far more costly in the long term than the money you save in the short term learning a new skill to a level which is acceptable to your business (which those opportunity costs come in the form of less time for practicing the performance of magic, maintaining and improving the quality of your magic performance and coming up with new material for the performance of magic and that can hurt your marketing efforts and competiveness as well and you will probably have less time for family and other things because you are trying to do it all in your business rather than delegating some things that should be left to professionals who have far more knowledge and experience in those fields).

You can't be a master of all trades. You have to pick a skill or trade and narrowly focus on it (which that skill, craft or trade should be the primary focus of your business) and be good at it and that's important because again, that is your most powerful and effective marketing tool.

Good luck with that then...

In my opinion there are very few people in "professional" television that got magic and even close up magic right on video for television. One of them was Alan Hall who was the producer of the "Bozo" show for WGN in Chicago. When we produced the magic of magic - one of the first video magic sets (if not the first) there was a lot of "extra things that happened - not because of the magician but because the director "missed shots". Covering the "action" and getting the "honest audience reactions" is in my opinion "what sells" the magician and what he or she is doing.

When I produced a cable series on cable television - my crew "had" to learn the basics of being able to tape the series. For them it was like re-learning as I took them to magic video school.

I found that if they don't get it on the first take - the audience is in on the climax of the trick and if it is close up they have to "fake" their reactions. This fake reaction is in my opinion "canned" and anyone watching can spot it. It is why many TV specials that have come out over the years look "canned" and "over produced" in my opinion.

The best reaction is on the first take - but if they don't get it is a hard mistake to clean up.

Also getting the "good magic and audience reactions on video makes doing editing much easier. However I have found that good video sells and bad video - is not worth much if anything at all.
Glenn Bishop Cardician

ChrisC
View Profile
New user
66 Posts

Profile of ChrisC
Quote:
On 2012-08-01 09:10, Dannydoyle wrote:
It will take a long time to get useable footage.

I will tell you this. Storyboard what you want the video to look like. Then go and make it so the camera gets those shots. I am not talking about how to approach.

But know what you are looking for and make sure you get it. Don't take random film and hope you hit it. It is cheaper in the long run.

Have your video guy watch you God a couple of Weeks to get an idea. Discuss angles and light and so forth. If you singing to do it, with tech the way it is today you may as well do it right. It doesn't have to be nearly as intrusive as it opposed to be.

Hey everyone!

I asked about this on a new thread and was re-directed here
(http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewtopic.php?topic=535591&forum=44&2)
Any advice for story boarding/"scripting" promotional video?

I am getting strolling footage, to eventually be used on a website targeted towards event planners and HR for corporate events.

How long should the finished video be? 90-120 seconds?

I was thinking about looking up successful info/commercials of the same length to build a framework to work with/inspiration (Or should I avoid this as B2B and B2C are different?)

The framework I had in mind is below

Quick climax of routine and reaction
general testimonial
slightly longer footage of a very different routine and reactions
testimonial describing one or two benefits (or can I voice over benefits, is that bad?)
more reactions and footage
testimonial overcoming common objection
best reactions and footage
Call to action

I have a few questions, I don't expect anyone to answer all or any of them, but If I could get some feedback it would really make my day.
Is my outline too "salesy"/hardsell?

Is there anything different any of you would do?

What has worked best for everyone as far as promotional footage goes?

What were the biggest mistakes and wastes of time in initially obtaining video footage? What would you have done differently if you were starting from scratch?

What was the best promo video you have ever seen? What was different about it?

If you had to get all your footage in ONE event, what would you do/tell camera man to do? (NOT that I expect this to happen in any way, just a question to stimulate ideas. I know I'm not going to get it all on the first take, but if I know what I'm looking for, I should be able to get what I need in fewer takes)

Again I don't expect anyone to answer all of these questions, but I will have a photographer with me at an event next week, and it anyone knows anything that could shave time off my learning curve I would really appreciate it.

-Chris
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Table hoppers & party strollers » » Filming table hopping session (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.06 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL