The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workers » » Decks, decks, decks, decks, decks, decks.... (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4
SilvaAce
View Profile
Regular user
Fargo, ND
156 Posts

Profile of SilvaAce
I love collecting decks for their fancy designs. They come in the mail,I admire them for a few mintues and then they get put away in their display case. The cards will never lay in my hands. This makes me a Collector.

I reach into my pocket or bag and pull out a beatup box of bikes. The box is worn but the cards are in excellent condition, ready to dance in my hands and create unforgettable entertainment! This makes me a Magician.

Do what you like as long as you are not p***ing on my flowers.
All you have to do to change your life, is to change your daily habits!

Carlos Silva
Alan Munro
View Profile
Inner circle
Kentwood, Michigan, USA
5952 Posts

Profile of Alan Munro
Quote:
On 2012-10-01 14:24, Frank Starsini wrote:
Quote:
On 2012-09-30 10:21, panlives wrote:
"If you’re in a room full of magicians and someone just mentions the word cards, within seconds, everyone is digging into their pockets and pulling out a deck of cards. It’s one of the most amazing feelings ever.”
-David Blaine

Somehow "amazing" isn't the word that comes to mind. Especially at a magic lecture when many magicians don't have the courtesy to put their d@mn cards away while the lecturer is lecturing.
Instead they fiddle and shuffle, and pass and caress their cards as if they can't help themselves. "Embarrassing" seems more appropriate.

It reminds me of another embarrassing activity that someone has to be really drunk to do in public, and could land them in jail. When I see that at a lecture, I think, "Give it a rest!"
ddeckmann
View Profile
Loyal user
Paraguay
202 Posts

Profile of ddeckmann
In my country we don't have bicycles nor tallys, you can perform with a "arcangel mayan apocalypse limited edition" and it will make no difference to the layman if you were using aviators.

And here any layman outside the gambling habits, doesn't have a clue about cards, they know how they look like, but they can't tell a spade from a club nor a jack from a king. This limits my repertoire.

I like tallys, they last more in my hands than bicycles, plus the last dozen of bikes I bought came all with the out of center print. The faros are great with tallys.

I must admit that I like vintage-like decks, because it suits my performance. I don't own any, I just like them Smile
TheAmbitiousCard
View Profile
Eternal Order
Northern California
13425 Posts

Profile of TheAmbitiousCard
Quote:
On 2012-10-01 16:16, Alan Munro wrote:
It reminds me of another embarrassing activity that someone has to be really drunk to do in public, and could land them in jail. When I see that at a lecture, I think, "Give it a rest!"

I'm afraid to ask but.... I'm asking. What is it?
Doing magic tricks for strangers without being asked? Nah. Can't be that.

I'm on the edge of my seat, Alan.
www.theambitiouscard.com Hand Crafted Magic
Trophy Husband, Father of the Year Candidate,
Chippendale's Dancer applicant, Unofficial World Record Holder.
Son of Igor
View Profile
New user
3 Posts

Profile of Son of Igor
Quote:
On 2012-08-02 09:25, Stanyon wrote:
Call me funny, but my choices are:

:bikes: Smile Smile Smile

You can keep everything else.

JMHO
Mavrick decks are inexpensive when it comes down to practicing, but thanks for the Tally-Ho deck tip.
wafflesthemagician
View Profile
New user
Vancouver, Canada
73 Posts

Profile of wafflesthemagician
I've come into the world of custom cards two years ago, and it's actually pretty interesting what different cards provide. From my experiences in performing for random strangers, it doesn't really matter what deck of cards I'm using. If I'm using a black deck, someone might mention: "Whoah, that's a cool deck of cards!", but it doesn't commonly arouse any more suspicion than usual. When I say "any more suspicion than usual", I mean that even when I'm preforming with a normal pack of Bikes, people commonly ask me: "Do you use a trick deck of cards?". I give an exasperated sigh, and have to spread the cards, to show that they are, indeed, truly normal. So, it doesn't quite matter to me if I use new-fangled fancy, triple-thick stocked cards, that are rainbow in color, just as long as I'm comfortable with using them. I personally like cards with softer stock, but I occasionally find myself using really stiff cards like Piatniks. I use my props for my own comfort, not my audience's.

Now, on to the matter of all the different decks that are around, I have to say:

DIFFERENT CARD COMPANIES MAKE CARDS DIFFERENTLY.

I thoroughly enjoy the fact that there are companies out there that are making cards other than the USPCC. Different cards provide different benefits & drawbacks. I've recently fell into Piatnik cards, myself, and although they don't fan like I want them to, I can shoot these cards beautifully, something I can't do with a normal pack of Bikes. Then there's these "Traditionally-cut" Bikes that faro upwards, so you can table-faro nicer. Bee's are borderless, so you can S-Deal a little bit cleaner. I repeat: Different cards provide different benefits.

I think that the appeal to all of these new decks is the prospect of all of the different possibilities. If you're one who used 808 Bikes for their entire life, love its feel, and are comfortable with them, then go ahead and use Bikes, you're probably awesome with them. If you like Traditionally-Cut, rainbow-bordered, triple thick stock, then all the power to you (good luck on finding those cards, though Smile).

So, to all those who are firm believers in staying with only one type of playing card, I implore you to at least TRY a different pack of playing card. If you don't like them, then it's fine, you don't have to use them. I just ask that people realize that there's an entire world of experiences that you're shut-off from, when you only use one certain deck of playing cards.
tomsk192
View Profile
Inner circle
3894 Posts

Profile of tomsk192
Or not.
MaxfieldsMagic
View Profile
Inner circle
Instead of practicing, I made
3009 Posts

Profile of MaxfieldsMagic
There have been a handful of "designer" decks I have gone for in the last few years, including Ellusionist's 1880's or Blue Crown's Vaudeville deck. When I do, I buy a brick so as to have enough to work with for awhile. I also bought a brick of black cards to use in thread work. But you're right, Frank - it's amazing how many new decks are introduced every week now. Who is buying them?
Now appearing nightly in my basement.
panlives
View Profile
Inner circle
2087 Posts

Profile of panlives
Quote:
On 2012-10-24 22:25, wafflesthemagician wrote:
I've come into the world of custom cards two years ago, and it's actually pretty interesting what different cards provide. From my experiences in performing for random strangers, it doesn't really matter what deck of cards I'm using. If I'm using a black deck, someone might mention: "Whoah, that's a cool deck of cards!", but it doesn't commonly arouse any more suspicion than usual. When I say "any more suspicion than usual", I mean that even when I'm preforming with a normal pack of Bikes, people commonly ask me: "Do you use a trick deck of cards?". I give an exasperated sigh, and have to spread the cards, to show that they are, indeed, truly normal. So, it doesn't quite matter to me if I use new-fangled fancy, triple-thick stocked cards, that are rainbow in color, just as long as I'm comfortable with using them. I personally like cards with softer stock, but I occasionally find myself using really stiff cards like Piatniks. I use my props for my own comfort, not my audience's.

Now, on to the matter of all the different decks that are around, I have to say:

DIFFERENT CARD COMPANIES MAKE CARDS DIFFERENTLY.

I thoroughly enjoy the fact that there are companies out there that are making cards other than the USPCC. Different cards provide different benefits & drawbacks. I've recently fell into Piatnik cards, myself, and although they don't fan like I want them to, I can shoot these cards beautifully, something I can't do with a normal pack of Bikes. Then there's these "Traditionally-cut" Bikes that faro upwards, so you can table-faro nicer. Bee's are borderless, so you can S-Deal a little bit cleaner. I repeat: Different cards provide different benefits.

I think that the appeal to all of these new decks is the prospect of all of the different possibilities. If you're one who used 808 Bikes for their entire life, love its feel, and are comfortable with them, then go ahead and use Bikes, you're probably awesome with them. If you like Traditionally-Cut, rainbow-bordered, triple thick stock, then all the power to you (good luck on finding those cards, though Smile).

So, to all those who are firm believers in staying with only one type of playing card, I implore you to at least TRY a different pack of playing card. If you don't like them, then it's fine, you don't have to use them. I just ask that people realize that there's an entire world of experiences that you're shut-off from, when you only use one certain deck of playing cards.

It is perhaps instructive to note that although there are a plethora of new card designs flooding the market, there are relatively few card “companies.”

Bikes, Bees, CARC cards, Blue Crown, Dan and Dave, Ellusionist, Theory 11… all of these are manufactured at the USPCC facilities.
"Is there any point to which you would wish to draw my attention?"
"To the curious incident of the dog in the night-time."
"The dog did nothing in the night-time."
"That was the curious incident," remarked Sherlock Holmes.
volto
View Profile
Special user
603 Posts

Profile of volto
Fournier, Anglo, Piatnik, Waddingtons, Dal Negro, Masenghini, Carta Mundi, Trefl. All different manufacturing facilities, I think.

Although Fournier have separate facilities, they are still owned by USPCC.

Dal Negro also own Masenghini but, again, they're different facilities.
wafflesthemagician
View Profile
New user
Vancouver, Canada
73 Posts

Profile of wafflesthemagician
Quote:
On 2012-10-26 07:54, panlives wrote:

It is perhaps instructive to note that although there are a plethora of new card designs flooding the market, there are relatively few card “companies.”

Bikes, Bees, CARC cards, Blue Crown, Dan and Dave, Ellusionist, Theory 11… all of these are manufactured at the USPCC facilities.

That's a good note, but although it's from the same company, it still provides different cards. Other have mentioned things like the Fourniers, Piatniks, which are all different, but even with USPCC cards, I can clearly feel the difference between a Bee deck, and a Bicycle deck. Just because it's one company, doesn't mean all their products are the same.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workers » » Decks, decks, decks, decks, decks, decks.... (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.04 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL