The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » F/X » » Help with live video... (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Peter Pitchford
View Profile
Elite user
Philly
423 Posts

Profile of Peter Pitchford
I could use some help from my more knowledgeable friends.

I am planning to add a close up segment to my act and would like to project a live video of the close up magic. I know the extremely obvious parts (and I mean extremely obvious - camera, projector, screen) but am really in the dark where to start elsewhere. I'm guessing, I will have to run it through my computer? If so, what program should I use?

What do I need to know when purchasing equipment? What do I need to do as far as lighting goes?

If this is something you do, do you have a portable table for the projector to sit on?

What pitfalls should I avoid? What advice do you have? What should I be aware of? What works for you? Do you set a stationary camera or do you have someone record for you?

Thanks in advance.

Petros
ClintonMagus
View Profile
Inner circle
Southwestern Southeast
3997 Posts

Profile of ClintonMagus
Peter,

I thought there was no one more knowledgeable than you... Smile

Seriously, though, There was a discussion on the Café about this a couple of years ago. I can't find it now, but others might remember it. If I can locate it, I will pass along the link.
Things are more like they are today than they've ever been before...
Peter Pitchford
View Profile
Elite user
Philly
423 Posts

Thanks. I'm so not tech savvy.
PCoreyB
View Profile
Regular user
139 Posts

Profile of PCoreyB
I haven't actually done this setup myself BUT I do own and operate a videography/media business. I've worked with several businesses (mostly churches) and setup their projectors for image magnification and also do lighting, sound, yada, yada...

My thoughts would be to get a nice but small camcorder such as one in the Canon Vixia series that has an HDMI output on it. Then make sure that the projector you get has an HDMI input and your halfway there...no computer necessary. The trick here is that HDMI generally is good for about a 25 ft cable. If you run it further you'd need whats called a balun that converts that signal to CAT5 on one end and reconverts it back to HDMI on the other. However, I don't see why you couldn't stay within the 25ft limit if you planned carefully.

They make several LED lighting fixtures that produce a "soft" light for the camera. One of these types would work well fixed over the table to add a bit of light to the scene. The newer cameras work fairly well in low light so you shouldn't need a lot.

It's easier to setup the projector and shoot from the front of the screen such as placing the projector on a small table or something. It looks cleaner to project from behind but it also opens up a few difficulties such as making sure you have enough room behind the screen, ambient lighting control and possible your 25 ft limitation. These problems could all be overcome but just thought I'd mention them.

I shop almost exclusively at BH Photo/Video. They would also have mounting options for your camera, light, projector and screen. They sell baluns as well. If you had someone that could rehearse with you and run the camera during the presentation, that would be my choice since they could move with the action at the right time. Otherwise I've seen some performers build a frame around their table and mount the camera to that.

Anyway, those are just some of my thoughts on the subject. If you have any specific questions, I'd be glad to share my opinion for what its worth. I'm sure there are some others that have actually done this and might have some insight more valuable than mine.

Good luck!

Corey
Peter Pitchford
View Profile
Elite user
Philly
423 Posts

Great insight. Thanks a million.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » F/X » » Help with live video... (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL