The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Cycling (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7~8~9~10
Woland
View Profile
Special user
680 Posts

Profile of Woland
In a civil trial, OJ was in fact held culpable for the killings.
tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devil's Island
16543 Posts

Profile of tommy
Yes they were at least 51% sure of him being culpable for the killings.
If there is a single truth about Magic, it is that nothing on earth so efficiently evades it.

Tommy
LobowolfXXX
View Profile
Inner circle
La Famiglia
1196 Posts

Profile of LobowolfXXX
Quote:
On 2012-10-25 13:26, tommy wrote:
Presumed innocent until proven guilty, is a rule, one which applies to an accused facing legal proceedings.

If, and only if, the accused contests the charges against him.
"Torture doesn't work" lol
Guess they forgot to tell Bill Buckley.

"...as we reason and love, we are able to hope. And hope enables us to resist those things that would enslave us."
tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devil's Island
16543 Posts

Profile of tommy
If a fellow pleads guilty then he is guilty. Then and only then is he not contesting the charges here in England. Obviously then at that monent he is not presumed innocent.

Is it different there in your neck of the woods?
If there is a single truth about Magic, it is that nothing on earth so efficiently evades it.

Tommy
LobowolfXXX
View Profile
Inner circle
La Famiglia
1196 Posts

Profile of LobowolfXXX
There's a plea called "No contest" or "No lo contendere." it's not an admission of guilt, per se, but it has e effect of a guilty plea; you go straight to sentencing. The difference is that if you plead guilty, at p,ea can be entered into evidence in a subsequent civil suit, but that's not the case with a no contest plea.
"Torture doesn't work" lol
Guess they forgot to tell Bill Buckley.

"...as we reason and love, we are able to hope. And hope enables us to resist those things that would enslave us."
tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devil's Island
16543 Posts

Profile of tommy
After the plea called "No contest" can the accused change his mind and enter a not guilty plea?

Also it has just occured to me that Armstrong might be arrested and tried in France, if at all, in which case I am not sure he would be presumed innocent until proven guilty there.

People are normally tried where the crime is committed which may be Spain etc.

Thanks anyway.

Tommy
Woland
View Profile
Special user
680 Posts

Profile of Woland
What about a Scottish court's possible verdict of "Not Proven"?
Mr. Mystoffelees
View Profile
Inner circle
I haven't changed anyone's opinion in
3623 Posts

Profile of Mr. Mystoffelees
Why discuss court systems when what we have here is far from it? I anticipate, however, someone will make the mistake of taking LA to court to collect some booty, and then this will all be sorted out...
Also known, when doing rope magic, as "Cordini"
Slide
View Profile
Special user
533 Posts

Profile of Slide
Just saw the Harry Smith interview with the two women who ratted Lance Armstrong out a decade ago.

Tommy, I understand you have your own special reasons for wanting to give him the benefit of the doubt and I doubt you'll believe it until Lance admits it himself.

I don't have those issues and after seeing those two women I hope Lance rots in hell. He deserves everything coming his way.
acesover
View Profile
Special user
I believe I have
821 Posts

Profile of acesover
Quote:
On 2012-10-25 23:05, Slide wrote:
Just saw the Harry Smith interview with the two women who ratted Lance Armstrong out a decade ago.

Tommy, I understand you have your own special reasons for wanting to give him the benefit of the doubt and I doubt you'll believe it until Lance admits it himself.

I don't have those issues and after seeing those two women I hope Lance rots in hell. He deserves everything coming his way.

Wow! What the heck did the women say? It must have been really terrible to feel the way you do. Just curious. I have no reason to stick up for Lance or go aganist him, just curious here.
If I were to agree with you. Then we would both be wrong. As of Apr 5, 2015 10:26 pm I have 880 posts. Used to have over 1,000
tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devil's Island
16543 Posts

Profile of tommy
It seems to me I am of the same view as former federal prosecutor Bruce Deming in this matter, which is expressed – far better and more clearly than I could - in these “two” articles below, that I have just read a moment ago:

http://www.forbes.com/sites/trevorbutter......process/

Tommy
M Sini
View Profile
Inner circle
1359 Posts

Profile of M Sini
Quote:
On 2012-10-24 18:34, S2000magician wrote:
Quote:
On 2012-10-24 18:08, stoneunhinged wrote:
. . . the standard of "innocent until proven guilty" is a legal standard . . . .

Presumed innocent until proven guilty.

Actually neither of these statements are explicitly stated in the U.S. Constitution. Though S2000magician's phrasing is the most accurate as it is the foundation of English common law that has been incorporated into the laws that govern our criminal justice system. That said, the topic of Lance Armstrong in regards to this thread is not about a criminal trial so neither of the above statements have any bearing.

But as the great Norman Peterson once asked "Would it raise the price of beer?" "No"
"Then what do we care."
stoneunhinged
View Profile
Inner circle
3067 Posts

Profile of stoneunhinged
Actually, they aren't two different statements. S200magician was just adding a word that I had left for the sake of convenience, and in doing so reasserted my point: the word "presumed" makes it clear that the legal status of a defendant is theoretical: sometimes only God and the defendant know whether he or she is in fact guilty of the crime.

And who cares about the price of beer? Were it 10X more expensive, I'm sure I'd still drink it.

:)
S2000magician
View Profile
Inner circle
Yorba Linda, CA
3465 Posts

Profile of S2000magician
Quote:
On 2012-10-26 08:47, M Sini wrote:
Quote:
On 2012-10-24 18:34, S2000magician wrote:
Quote:
On 2012-10-24 18:08, stoneunhinged wrote:
. . . the standard of "innocent until proven guilty" is a legal standard . . . .

Presumed innocent until proven guilty.

Actually neither of these statements are explicitly stated in the U.S. Constitution.

I didn't suggest that it was stated in the U.S. Constitution (or anywhere else, for that matter); I was simply suggesting - as you state - that that's the standard invoked in the U.S. (and in some other jurisdictions as well, though not in all jurisdictions (and, interestingly, not uniformly even in the U.S.: cf. tax court)).
tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devil's Island
16543 Posts

Profile of tommy
Presumed innocent until proven guilty is related to punishment:

Its function is related to punishment, for it is one thing to think a man is guilty and quite another to think so and punish him just because you think so.

“Norman Stanley Fletcher, you are an habitual criminal who accepts arrest as an occupational hazard, and presumably accepts imprisonment in the same casual manner. We therefore feel constrained to commit you to the maximum term allowed for these offences - you will go to theoretical prison for five years."

Tommy
spatlind
View Profile
Special user
still moving
863 Posts

Profile of spatlind
Quote:
On 2012-10-23 09:19, stoneunhinged wrote:
Quote:
On 2012-10-23 07:36, spatlind wrote:
http://soundcloud.com/off-the-ball/paul-......ghts-off

I just finished listening to this. I hope that when all the dust has settled Paul Kimmage gets some kind of "journalist of the decade" award for putting up with the UCI lawsuit.

This scandal reminds me of the Penn State scandal in this way: at the end of the day, the guys in suits are just as guilty of covering things up as anyone else. Even if its THEIR JOB to keep thins clean and fair.

Disgusting.

Apparently, they've suspended the lawsuit
Actions lie louder than words - Carolyn Wells

I believe in God, only I spell it Nature - Frank Lloyd Wright.
Ray Tupper.
View Profile
Special user
NG16.
749 Posts

Profile of Ray Tupper.
Quote:
On 2012-10-26 12:43, tommy wrote:
“Norman Stanley Fletcher, you are an habitual criminal who accepts arrest as an occupational hazard, and presumably accepts imprisonment in the same casual manner. We therefore feel constrained to commit you to the maximum term allowed for these offences - you will go to theoretical prison for five years."

And you Godber.
What do we want?
A cure for tourettes!
When do we want it?
C*nt!
Mr. Mystoffelees
View Profile
Inner circle
I haven't changed anyone's opinion in
3623 Posts

Profile of Mr. Mystoffelees
We have become such a society of liars, from every facet of life including clergy, that the only thing we can have any hope of believing is clear, irrefutable, documented fact. Then again, often confessions are judged inadmissible...
Also known, when doing rope magic, as "Cordini"
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Cycling (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7~8~9~10
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL