The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricky business » » Here's one way to make a living in magic... (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
Jim Snack
View Profile
Inner circle
1338 Posts

Profile of Jim Snack
Cabrera,

Grants can come from a number of sources, private foundations, corporate foundations and government agencies.

When a government agency provides a grant, whether it is for a business start up or for an arts organization, there is a specific purpose in mind. It might be to stimulate job creation or to attract residential investment in cities.

Anyone who applies for a grant must demonstrate that they can accomplish specific objectives with their project, that they are fiscally responsible, and that they have community support for the project.

A grant is a contract between you and the funder to accomplish the stated objectives of the project. It is definitely not designed to provide a hand out for spongers.

Anyone who has received a grant can tell you that it is a lot of hard work. But the payoff includes doing some social good and making the world a more humane place.

That's my philosophy, and I feel just fine about it.
Jim Snack

"Helping Magicians Succeed with Downloadable Resources"
www.success-in-magic.com
Cabrera
View Profile
Special user
Seattle
513 Posts

Profile of Cabrera
Sorry about the misunderstanding, but to give you an example of my view; my sister took out a huge loan for nursing school, and her friend, a recent immigrant at the time, (I say this without prejudice) got a full grant to get through school. She does not have to pay back one dime. I've been helping my sister pay her bills. She has 3 kids and has been a tax payer all her life. And; doesn't qualify for a grant.
"The quilt of life is woven with many different threads"
View Profile
Loyal user
222 Posts

Profile of 12345
Example of what?

Tell me Cabrera, why do you think this is a hand out? Don't you think corporations and government are smart? U.S.A. is a big business, to get more money, you need more tax payers. How do they get more tax payers? Allowing and helping those who wish to live and enventually work in the U.S.A.

My friend went to university for years, didn't get a loan from school, he needed the money, the school says his parents made too much money. My other friend got approved for the loan. Luck of the draw?

Cabrera, it comes down to certain guidelines. Your sister had money before? Full time, part time, family, good support, etc? A grant is not a handout.

You just answered your own question.... She doesn't qualify for a grant.

Why doesn't she? If you're really upset and want to find out pick up the phone and call the agency that turned her down.
Chrystal
View Profile
Inner circle
Canada/France
1552 Posts

Profile of Chrystal
Hi,

Jim was right -The Government or whomever is handing out the grants are extremely picky when it comes to handing out the "free money". Generally, there is a purpose in mind as in my case, it was to generate the local economy in assisting new business owners and open up the labour market.

If the businesses thrived they would in turn be able to hire employees, purchase items..assisting other businesses,ect... a recipricol effect.

It is by no means easy to obtain a grant - lots of work involved as some of the post mentioned. You have to prove that you are serious about pursuing the particular activity which the grant ask for and proving that you are able to carry it out.

While most of us have heard of stories of what appears to be silly expenditures on the part of the Government I believe that they don't take handing out money lightly. Over two hundred people applied for the grant I was able to get, and only 50 of us made it through the screening process.

Out of the remaining 50..we then had to return with a business plan which the bank would accept (no small task) as I mentioned mine was 35 pages long! The next step was to present this plan to a panel of 5 people that served on the board of directors. They, then chose 25 people to recieve the grant.

The way I viewed the whole experience is while there is no doubt that it was a lot of work, the opportunity was invaluable. Sometimes, if you really want something you put in the effort. My thoughts anyway and I still feel fortunate that I was given that opportunity. Smile
Dennis Michael.
View Profile
Regular user
Denver, CO
103 Posts

Profile of Dennis Michael.
Quote:
Heres my idea, you know the healed and sealed trick I am going down with proposal and showing a selected few soft drink companies in my area and hopefully they will bit the bait and sponser my magic goals and ideas.

Oh yeah I need to learn healed and sealed, can I download it from somewhere? I hate waiting for orders.

I too had (and have) the same idea in mind. After looking at a lot of the material in my own show, I was also thinking about talking with the local waste management dept. about a recycling show to be performed for schools. I intend on pushing the recycling angle for the show and possibly using the beverage company for additional funding.

Perhaps we could keep each other posted about ideas and progress. Just PM me.

One last thing...you should just buy the darned healed and sealed (look at Penguin Magic. I think you can download it through their website). It's not that big of an investment for a great effect. You'll spend more buying the soda than you will on buying the secret to the effect.

Good luck and I hope to hear what else you're up to with this project.

Smile

Dennis
I'm Back

Dennis Michael
Denver Colorado
trickster2000
View Profile
Loyal user
Toronto
286 Posts

Profile of trickster2000
Doug Henning was given a grant by the government to study magic back in the 70's
View Profile
Loyal user
222 Posts

Profile of 12345
Denis, I will keep you posted and we can share idea's back and forth. My problem is I don't have a credit card yet and most canadian shops do not carry Healed and sealed.... Blacktie magic "does" but not in inventory so they would have to order it from U.S.

I just want to download it with paypal, thought I saw a site somewhere
Chrystal
View Profile
Inner circle
Canada/France
1552 Posts

Profile of Chrystal
Hey 1,

Have you tried Perfect Magic? Another Canadian shop is Tony's Trick shop located on the West Coast. Http://www.magictrick.com

May perhaps save you a few dollars due to the exhange.

Good luck!
Law
View Profile
New user
94 Posts

Profile of Law

Click here to purchase Healed & Sealed directly from Anders Moden - the inventor. Be aware that it's not an instant download - after you pay it might be a day or two before he emails you the file.
Bryan Gilles
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern California
1732 Posts

Profile of Bryan Gilles
Do you have any advice to a first-time grant writer.. I am looking to write grants to help develope a show I can perform for community libraries...
I figure the worse that can happen is being denied...

Bryan
Jim Snack
View Profile
Inner circle
1338 Posts

Profile of Jim Snack
Bryan,

I don't think you will get someone to fund you to develop a show. Depending upon the show and it's objective, you might get someone to fund the performance of that show at community libraries. Just be aware that there are limited funds for libraries from grant sources and that money is probably being funded into technology for libraries.

A better approach might be to find a corporate sponsor that wants to reach an a library audience. But again, no one is going to give you money to develop a show.
You should develop the show on your own. If you have a great concept and a good show, then approach the community affairs (or sales and marketing) department of a business with a request that they fund a number of shows in a particular region.

Alternately, you could approach an arts council with a request to present public performances of your show. As I mentioned above, arts grants fall under the category of theater, so you should really stress the theatrical nature of the show. Evne then, you will encounter some resistance form the arts funding orgtanizations simply because they don't view magic as an art.

Jim
Jim Snack

"Helping Magicians Succeed with Downloadable Resources"
www.success-in-magic.com
Bryan Gilles
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern California
1732 Posts

Profile of Bryan Gilles
Oh- I am sorry...I wouldn't expect anything for the developement of a show. Just the final product of course... great leads!!!

Bryan
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricky business » » Here's one way to make a living in magic... (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL