The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The Gambling Spot » » Old proposition bet - Matching the Cards (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Dark Knight
View Profile
Loyal user
My troops are stationed at
272 Posts

Profile of Dark Knight
There is an old proposition bet in which you wager that two people, who each turn cards face up at the same time from two randomly shuffled face down decks, will at some point turn over the identical card. The probability of turning over two cards that match from two honestly shuffled decks is much higher than 50%, but can you explain why mathematically?

The problem: Two people shuffle two decks of 52 cards. When they finish, they each flip over the top card of each deck. If the two cards match exactly, then the proposition has occurred. In the very likely event that the two cards do not match, they continue turning over cards at the same time until two cards match exactly as to suit and number. If no two cards match after each person has dealt through all 52, then the proposition has not occurred.

Most people would assume this is a 50/50 proposition since they think the chances of two cards matching at any turnover is 1 in 52 and there are 52 chances to match the cards. However, the odds are far better than 50/50.

Can you say why mathematically?

DK
Dark Knight
View Profile
Loyal user
My troops are stationed at
272 Posts

Profile of Dark Knight
I found the answer to my own question: http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewt......forum=99

Thanks,
DK
Stromberg
View Profile
Regular user
160 Posts

Profile of Stromberg
This together with the birthday bet have definately helped my lifestyle.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The Gambling Spot » » Old proposition bet - Matching the Cards (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL