The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The side walk shuffle » » Street Performers and their styles (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Zombie Magic
View Profile
Inner circle
I went out for a beer and now have
8733 Posts

Profile of Zombie Magic
On the street, people aren't captive. If they view the performer as crude, insulting, etc. they can always just walk away. So, while one performers style, personality, etc. makes some performers cringe, does it matter? Isn't the crowds perception all that counts?

If a performer copies Gazzo line for line, they'll never be original or have crowds love him like they love Gazzo, but he won't make the money Gazzo has made. It actually works against them, even though they don't know or care.

Or, do they make good money and that's what makes other performers angry about it?

In college I used to sell show tickets on the street. There were guys that were crude and rude and yet, they sold a lot of tickets. Far more than I did with my friendly, non pressure style. Bothered the heck out of me because I couldn't understand people buying from them. Sure, some would get angry with them and not buy, but so many did.

Sorry if this is an uneducated post, but I'm just trying to understand the street.
magicalaurie
View Profile
Inner circle
Ontario, Canada
2962 Posts

Profile of magicalaurie
Very good question, coming from a zombie. Smile Sorry, it's late, and that may or may not be funny. Smile

In terms of going along with the crowd in support of negativity, I'd say the problem is fear. People are afraid to be authentic, to acknowledge that they care, because it puts them in the spotlight in a position where the stakes are raised: it makes them vulnerable. They need to grasp that risking vulnerability is a courageous thing to do and the ability to do it actually indicates strength.

In terms of the Gazzo issue, specifically, I'd say stay tuned to that thread and I'd recommend that getting a quote from Gazzo might provide a more richly illuminated perspective on the matter.
Zombie Magic
View Profile
Inner circle
8733 Posts

Profile of Zombie Magic
Laurie, that was funny! My wife and I are insomniacs and I feel like a zombie

People will go along with a crowd in a controlled environment. I found selling tickets on the street, people did what they wanted and felt a sense of control in buying/not buying, being kind, being rude, etc.

I've seen street magicians perform and people had no problem walking away, not tipping, etc.
magicalaurie
View Profile
Inner circle
Ontario, Canada
2962 Posts

Profile of magicalaurie
Zombie Magic
View Profile
Inner circle
8733 Posts

Profile of Zombie Magic
Laurie, thanks for finding that. I would have expected those words form any professional. The people that clone him, don't care. They think it makes money and that's what they are out there to do. They aren't looking to get booked at the Castle, etc. so being original isn't in their plan.

But, do they make money on the street? As wrong as it is, does it work for them?
Magician Shaun
View Profile
Special user
Huntington BCH, CA
924 Posts

Profile of Magician Shaun
It's not just about copying another's work or insulting people. It's about bad performers in general. Working on the sidewalk recently there was an old man who had a soprano saxophone. Couldn't play a note but he pushed keys and blew. After a couple of hours he was giving me a terrible headache, he was awful. You know what the passersby did? They encouraged him by throwing money in his till, not Chang either, actual bills. People feel guilted I guess.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The side walk shuffle » » Street Performers and their styles (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL