The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Trick coin trickery » » Joshua Jay's Three-coin Vanish (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

loyaleagle
View Profile
Special user
Montgomery Village, Maryland
567 Posts

Profile of loyaleagle
Oh my, card guy in the coin forum...a little scary!

Anyway, I'm typically a small packet card guy (can bust out a whole deck for longer performances), but a recent Joshua Jay lecture over at DC's IBM Ring 50 made me think I could possible work in some coin stuff. I've tried many times and failed to develop even the basic sleights for coin magic, but Joshua Jay's Three-coin Vanish (from his Sleight of Hand and a Twist of Fate booklet) really impressed me and only has one true vanish (uses a sh*** and a fl***** for the first two coins). I've been practicing that move for a while and feel confident that once I get used to the timing in front of people, I'll be able to pull it off....we shall see...

ANYWAY, the point of this thread is to ask about the gaff coins. My parents were nice enough to buy the sh*** and a fl***** from Joshua's website (marketed as "the ones he uses"), but I'm new to these gaffs and I have a couple questions:

First off, I notice the sh*** doesn't come all the way down over the fl***** coin's edge, so holding the coin on edge shows the gaff. Also, when viewing the two gaff coins together from the rear (it's a heads sh***), it seems like the outline is visible. I could see it from several feet away in a mirror. Similarly, the supposedly flush seam on the fl***** was also visible, though I guess I can cover that with my thumb if showing the back.

Second, the two coins talk when nested. I'm not very adept at handling these gaffs, so maybe this is something one just has to deal with, but if I have to show the 2.5 coins as one (especially from the rear), I'm worried about a fake-looking coin.

These are Tango coins, btw, not the "pro" ones, just the regular ones, as far as I can tell.

Soooo, my long set of questions/concerns finished....thoughts??

Edit: Oh and I looked around and didn't see any thread about this trick, but there MUST be some, so feel free to link to those!
Visit my blog: ScienceIsMagic.com
J-Mac
View Profile
Inner circle
Ridley Park, PA
5338 Posts

Profile of J-Mac
A shell doesn’t fully cover anything it is nested with, nor should it. Two reasons: 1) it would be difficult to unnest the pair as the shell would have to travel straight up for a good ways, and 2) it would make the view from the back side more pronounced since the shell's rim would almost protrude over the insert. Regarding what you say about the view from the rear of what you have now, don’t you think you might be gazing a little too hard with magicians' eyes? After all, does your routine call for you to show the nested gimmick from the read for an extended view? And for that matter, who is going to get down at the level of the edge of the nested gimmick and look at the thickness intensely?

Unless your shell is defective in some way it should be fine. If you fear it might be then post a few photos of it for us.

I presently have expanded shells from Tango, Johnson, Schoolcraft, and Swadling. All cover roughly ½ of the insert coin and no one has seen anything out of line.

Jim
bowers
View Profile
Inner circle
Oakboro N.C.
7024 Posts

Profile of bowers
Wow jim my shells cover 90 percent of the coin.
Zombie Magic
View Profile
Inner circle
I went out for a beer and now have
8733 Posts

Profile of Zombie Magic
I have a Johnson Ike set and the Shell covers around 90% of the coin.
Mb217
View Profile
Inner circle
9530 Posts

Profile of Mb217
I have a few shell sets but don't use them much but they are all very nice, and make for some deceptive magic.

Most sh*lls cover pretty well but J-Mac tells you correctly enough as to this stuff. Eagle, you can see the line mostly because you know it's there and you're trying to see it. Specs are not aware of this and so don't look for it. Also, typically they do not have a clue as to sh*lls and so whatever coin they see they just see the coin as one coin, at 75% or 90% coverage, it really doesn't matter much at all. Magicians can obsess about such things but they mean nothing to laymen. As to any little sound, yes, better touch and feel will deaden it, and the use of a carefully put heightening of your voice usually covers any little sound.

This trick sounds like something Eric Jones does, but whatever it is fairly easy enough with the set you have, especially if it's also magnetic - piece a cake and yes a nice little coin routine for card guys for sure. Smile

If you like this sort of coin magic, look into things like Scotch & Soda, Hopping Halves, a C/S coin effect are all fairly easy to do with little effort beyond learning the routine of it. And keep working at the SOH basics as well, it comes eventually as it's all just good practice. I used to do the same thing with your genre of cards, useta just practice NFW over and over until I could do it in my sleep, still can - Great packet card trick for a coin guy or anybody really. Smile

Good luck and have fun with it all. Smile

-Mb
*Check out my latest: Gifts From The Old Country: A Mini-Magic Book, MBs Mini-Lecture on Coin Magic, The MB Tanspo PLUS, MB's Morgan, Copper Silver INC, Double Trouble, FlySki, Crimp Change - REDUX!, and other fine magic at gumroad.com/mb217magic Smile

"Believe in YOU, and you will see the greatest magic that ever was." -Mb Smile
J-Mac
View Profile
Inner circle
Ridley Park, PA
5338 Posts

Profile of J-Mac
Wow - I haven't actually measured the thickness of any of my shells but I estimated by just looking briefly at them. I can say that none are near 90%; not even close with the possible exception of the middle shell of my 3CM and a Johnson English Penny shell. I have two Tango shells that I don’t believe even cover half the coin thickness.

Jim
loyaleagle
View Profile
Special user
Montgomery Village, Maryland
567 Posts

Profile of loyaleagle
Thanks Mb (and everybody else too!). Agreed about this being my NFW (which I coincidentally just started doing with some microbiology-themed patter Smile). I always thought coin magic was beautiful and much more repeatable than card magic (I could watch coins float around all day!), but never had the SOH for it. Maybe handling these large gaff coins will help me develop some comfort with the props.

The shell not covering the whole flipper doesn't bother me a LOT (as it does fit fairly snugly in the X and Y plane of the coin), but I think the big thing for me is the talking between the shell and the flipper. There seems to be quite a lot of arc on the face of the flipper from Kennedy's face, so the shell levers over quite a bit to either side. I'm trying to do a lot of the moves from my memory of the Joshua Jay lecture (may have to break down and buy the booklet at some point...a grad student so I make as few purchases as possible), so maybe I'm just not holding the combined shell/flipper correctly/naturally. I'll look into the pitching of the voice, though I was hoping to do the routine with a minimum of talking.

Btw, is there a good place to learn the fundimental moves with these gaffs? I feel like even my vocabulary is lacking and I'm sure there must be a set of standard ways to, for instance, open the flipper. Also, I gather that these two gaffs are used a great many routines, but so far I haven't actually look at very many.

Oh and I do have a Scotch and Soda, from my childhood magic days...maybe I'll do something with it if I can find something more interesting than a trick that "demonstrates the gimmick." It's a pain to reset though :/
Visit my blog: ScienceIsMagic.com
J-Mac
View Profile
Inner circle
Ridley Park, PA
5338 Posts

Profile of J-Mac
I don’t even use any of my flippers anymore. When I do ring in a gaffed coin it is usually a shell or a copper/silver coin. And of course my favorites: the CSB sets! No noise issues - for shells put a layer of Teflon inside the shell. And no moving/mechanical parts to suddenly come apart and embarrass everyone!

Thanks!

Jim
Mb217
View Profile
Inner circle
9530 Posts

Profile of Mb217
And as to your old Scotch & Soda, they've made magnetic versions for years now, much easier to reset than the old bang ring. Smile You might even look into the TUC by Tango, you can do a lot of stuff (Think you even get a nice DVD of effects too) with it and it's not hard to use. Smile But if you want absolute simplicity as to gaff coins, again I say get yourself a C/S coin, there's plenty of good magic in this old thing to do or create yourself. I've done both. Smile

Also as to my mention of Eric Jones, I believe it's his "Oxy Clean Coin Routine" where he uses a set like this as you describe.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?NR=1&v=gvQR......ndscreen

*These probably don't make much sound Smile
http://coingaffs.com/coingaff_shop/oxf.html

-Mb
*Check out my latest: Gifts From The Old Country: A Mini-Magic Book, MBs Mini-Lecture on Coin Magic, The MB Tanspo PLUS, MB's Morgan, Copper Silver INC, Double Trouble, FlySki, Crimp Change - REDUX!, and other fine magic at gumroad.com/mb217magic Smile

"Believe in YOU, and you will see the greatest magic that ever was." -Mb Smile
ronnyman
View Profile
New user
Indiana
56 Posts

Profile of ronnyman
How can anyone not fall in love with Joshua Jay's trick? Expanded shells will never cover an entire coin based on how they're made. Non-expanded shells, however, can fit over everything. Have you considered using a non-expanded shell and a shaved down coin to fit? All gaffed coin makers supply these.
Bob Magic
View Profile
New user
San Diego, California
90 Posts

Profile of Bob Magic
I have a non-expanded shell set of Silver Eagles. Again this is 90 - 95% coverage. Non-expanded sets suffer from the same small flaw as the expanded shell. Even placing the shelled coin in the spec's hand like the ending of Larry Jennning's 'Above, below or beside' goes unnoticed because the coins are viewed from above not from the side.
joseph
View Profile
Eternal Order
Please ignore my
17411 Posts

Profile of joseph
Quote:
On 2012-09-27 13:15, ronnyman wrote:
How can anyone not fall in love with Joshua Jay's trick?

Wow .. How nice .. Smile ...
"Everything should be made as simple as possible, but no simpler." (Einstein)...
Daniel Clemente
View Profile
Special user
Mount Joy, PA
790 Posts

Profile of Daniel Clemente
Quote:
On 2012-09-28 06:29, joseph wrote:
Quote:
On 2012-09-27 13:15, ronnyman wrote:
How can anyone not fall in love with Joshua Jay's trick?

Wow .. How nice .. Smile ...

Not bad.....
bwarren3
View Profile
Special user
518 Posts

Profile of bwarren3
Hey Loyal Eagle, Just something to ponder. When I do coin work it's usually I'm standing and don't care if they are seated or standing, doesn't matter. So when I use my gaffs, like a shell, they are usually looking down at it from the top so there isn't anything to see from the sides...Usually I try to do my first coin trick with no gimmicked coins so I can hand them out let them examine them so when I do a card effect then switch over to a gimmicked coin trick there is no handing out the coins just the routine and so far haven't ever had any problems.
It must be the mixing in of a coin effect then a card trick, could even be a packet trick, then going to the killer effect using a shell or other gimmick is very entertaining and has enough of a variety to keep them entertained.
Bill
bwarren3
View Profile
Special user
518 Posts

Profile of bwarren3
Hey Loyal Eagle, Just something to ponder. When I do coin work it's usually I'm standing and don't care if they are seated or standing, doesn't matter. So when I use my gaffs, like a shell, they are usually looking down at it from the top so there isn't anything to see from the sides...Usually I try to do my first coin trick with no gimmicked coins so I can hand them out let them examine them so when I do a card effect then switch over to a gimmicked coin trick there is no handing out the coins just the routine and so far haven't ever had any problems.
It must be the mixing in of a coin effect then a card trick, could even be a packet trick, then going to the killer effect using a shell or other gimmick is very entertaining and has enough of a variety to keep them entertained.
Bill
bwarren3
View Profile
Special user
518 Posts

Profile of bwarren3
Bill
Lawrence O
View Profile
Inner circle
French Riviera
6811 Posts

Profile of Lawrence O
Loyaleagle,
I agree with Marion and J-Mac that it's not important to have the shell covering entirely the side of the coin. It's a well known "Gestalt" principle that spectators do see the face of the coin and do not have any perception of the edge (unless the performer feels so guilty that he subconsciously tips them off).

Now it is not right to claim that there is no shell covering the entire edge and not betraying the presence of the shell on the other side. Jamie Schoolcraft in the US and Xavier Belmont in France both have shells covering the entire edge, and I'd be very surprised if Lassen (that I'm at odds with) didn't sell this type of shells.

The noise in a shell (that can be partly tamed by using thin shim material) is much more a secondary issue than the covering of the edge. As Marion suggested Tango's TUC is a possible answer to your (more psychological than factual) problem
Magic is the art of emotionally sharing live impossible situations
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Trick coin trickery » » Joshua Jay's Three-coin Vanish (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.05 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL