The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The Gambling Spot » » Darwin Ortiz Card Cheating (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
magicman491
View Profile
Veteran user
326 Posts

Profile of magicman491
I was just telling you what I can do to see if the sleights by DAortiz would be suitable for me... I never said I would do that at a card table, probably turnover pass...
Bobbycash
View Profile
Special user
Australia
694 Posts

Profile of Bobbycash
Well, in all honesty then please grab Jason's England stuff and read my original post. You will not appreciate Ortiz if you don't have those fundamentals down and second nature. Also turnover pass wouldn't work either. Exposing too many cards and wouldn't fly.
Giuseppe Balsamo
View Profile
New user
16 Posts

Profile of Giuseppe Balsamo
The young guy says "...I can bottom deal, nearly invisibly pass..." and talks about Card Cheating.

I simply meant that his pass is far from being invisible. Besides, even if for enterntainment only, it won't hurt to be as close as possible to true and actual material, which his jiggle pass is not.

Now, he's free to delude himself.

There's no need to call me names for that. Looks like there is a cool atmosphere in this place...
Bobbycash
View Profile
Special user
Australia
694 Posts

Profile of Bobbycash
Mate, that isn't the issue. Obviously the guy is new here. There isn't any point in just saying it is crap, give him constructive criticism. It isn't about delusion, it is about saying in a manner that it isn't great but here is what you need to do to get better,
AMcD
View Profile
Inner circle
stacking for food!
3078 Posts

Profile of AMcD
I don't clearly see where or when he said it was crap.

13 years old or 25 years old, it makes no difference. Practice, practice and practice if you wanna be good Smile!
tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devil's Island
16543 Posts

Profile of tommy
Perhaps you are going blind. Smile
If there is a single truth about Magic, it is that nothing on earth so efficiently evades it.

Tommy
Bobbycash
View Profile
Special user
Australia
694 Posts

Profile of Bobbycash
Fair enough AMcD, I guess I was defending the innocence of the guy as he is 13. I woul hate for someone to be discouraged from learning this art because they had one bad post. I'm sorry if I sai anything out of step to Giuseppe, I just was concerned that someone that wanted to do a gambling demo might be diswaded from learning it!
Cagliostro
View Profile
Inner circle
2478 Posts

Profile of Cagliostro
@magicman491:

I started at 13 also and I used an Aviator Bridge Sized Deck of cards to master my moves. Aviator Bridge Size was the standard magician deck during that era. My suggestion is forget all the esoteric fancy stuff, you are not ready for that, it will send you in the wrong direction and it hinder you progress. You want solid basic stuff to start with. The first book I learned from was The Expert at the Card Table. Even though it is primarily a magician’s book, it does have a myriad of gambling type moves. I had just about all of the moves in the gambling section mastered by 14. Although gamblers don’t use the material in that book, it is a good basic grounding and since you are looking to do demos, it is good to know about the things Erdnase disclosed.

The next book would be Card Mastery by MacDougall which also has Expert included. If you can master most of what is in both books, you will be a monster. I have mastered just about everything you can think of when it comes to moves and that is the approach I took and the approach I would take if starting out again.

Personally I never really bothered with other people’s opinions. The three way mirror I practiced in front of told me everything I needed to know. Opinions are based upon the knowledge of the people giving the opinion. As they say, opinions are like a—holes, everyone has one.

Hopefully this is helpful and good luck on your journey.
Vincero
View Profile
Veteran user
New Zealand
379 Posts

Profile of Vincero
Quote:
On 2012-09-22 09:08, Giuseppe Balsamo wrote:
The young guy says "...I can bottom deal, nearly invisibly pass..." and talks about Card Cheating.

I simply meant that his pass is far from being invisible. Besides, even if for enterntainment only, it won't hurt to be as close as possible to true and actual material, which his jiggle pass is not.

Now, he's free to delude himself.

There's no need to call me names for that. Looks like there is a cool atmosphere in this place...

Apologies, I was being an ass.

I just felt that you might have been doing more harm than good in your initial critique. No one's saying that he shouldn't try to perfect his moves, whether they're intended for gambling, or for entertainment purposes. In either case, you didn't offer him any helpful advice -- so what was the point of your initial response?

Well ok, if we're going to get picky, then maybe so-called "brutal honesty" is (to an extent) "helpful". But, I don't think that your original post is even worthy of being called "brutally honest". For a start, it lacks a mutual context. In other words, the context in which you were -- somewhat crudely-- critiquing, is completely irrelevent to OP's Jiggle Pass video. Also, the guy's 13. I'm happy (just as AMcD seems to be) in the knowledge that he's doing this instead of some other hobby.

Now, maybe some of you don't care for the "softly softly" approach, but some people need it. Naturally, a lot of the younger guys fall into this category. Criticism is not as usefull as constructive criticism.

To the OP:

I started learning sleight of hand with cards at the age of 11. I don't think that I could do any kind of Pass, let alone a bottom deal at age 13. Keep working at it and don't let people get you down. If you do, you'll hit your late teens, realise that you'd like to start messing around with cards again and say: "boy I wish that I'd stuck at it when I was 13!"

If you don't feel comfortable sharing your Bottom Deal in public, then send it to me or Bobby privately and we'll give you some friendly pointers. I'm by no means an expert, but I've seen worse false deals than mine floating about.

Zac

PS - Don't use terms like "invisible"... there's rarely such a thing. Smile.
"Which way I fly is Hell; myself am Hell; And in the lowest deep a lower deep
Still threat'ning to devour me opens wide, To which the Hell I suffer seems a Heav'n" -John Milton, (Paradise Lost)
Vincero
View Profile
Veteran user
New Zealand
379 Posts

Profile of Vincero
Oh, and pay attention to Cagliostro's posts.
"Which way I fly is Hell; myself am Hell; And in the lowest deep a lower deep
Still threat'ning to devour me opens wide, To which the Hell I suffer seems a Heav'n" -John Milton, (Paradise Lost)
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The Gambling Spot » » Darwin Ortiz Card Cheating (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL