The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » I wish... (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
critter
View Profile
Inner circle
Spokane, WA
2653 Posts

Profile of critter
We still tell tales around the campfire.
"The fool is one who doesn't know what you have just found out."
~Will Rogers
mastermindreader
View Profile
1949 - 2017
Seattle, WA
12586 Posts

Profile of mastermindreader
Quote:
On 2012-10-01 19:18, Jonathan Townsend wrote:
What, you missed the golden age of puppets and before that the age of time-tested tales told often around the campfire?

Nostalgia can be infatuation. They did the best though could then. And those who care are doing the best they can now.

You could make the same dismissive comment about any art. It's the same as saying, "Michelangelo did the best he could back then, but ya oughta see what we can do with Photoshop."
ed rhodes
View Profile
Inner circle
Rhode Island
2889 Posts

Profile of ed rhodes
Quote:
On Oct 1, 2012, Jonathan Townsend wrote:
What, you missed the golden age of puppets and before that the age of time-tested tales told often around the campfire?

Nostalgia can be infatuation. They did the best though could then. And those who care are doing the best they can now.

Harlan Ellison once said he'd like to try "story telling" as a television program. Just a mid shot of him reading from his works. He could probably have pulled it off.
"...and if you're too afraid of goin' astray, you won't go anywhere." - Granny Weatherwax
ed rhodes
View Profile
Inner circle
Rhode Island
2889 Posts

Profile of ed rhodes
Quote:
On Oct 1, 2012, mastermindreader wrote:
From a technical and artistic standpoint "Pinocchio" is one of the greatest animated films ever made. It would be a sacrilege to redo it in Pixar. Kind of like redoing the Mona Lisa using a paint by the numbers kit.

One of my first dates with my future wife was to go to the Museum of Modern Art and see a retrospect of Disney work. A lot of Peter Ellenshaw's matte paintings (The island from 20,000 Leagues Under The Sea, the sky AND the London street from the opening of Mary Poppins. But one that got me was a long panel from Pinocchio. You remember the "Hi Diddlee Dee," song, Pinocchio, Honest John, and the Cat are walking down a street, they turn a corner and go up another street.

They painted the turn! If you look at the whole cell, it actually changes perspective in the middle of the painting, so when they animated it, it LOOKED like the camera was going around a corner!
"...and if you're too afraid of goin' astray, you won't go anywhere." - Granny Weatherwax
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » I wish... (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL