The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » My New Weekly Habit- Classic Vinyl (LP) Listening (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

stempleton
View Profile
Inner circle
1443 Posts

Profile of stempleton
I realized today that I have been practicing what has apparently become a habit...so now I claim it as a "ritual" from this day forward.

Every Sunday I choose to listen to a classic LP (yes, that's VINYL for those who remember) and I own an extensive library. Today I have just finished Stevie Wonder's "Songs In The Key Of Life." I have also listened to several Beatles albums and even K-Tel compilations in weeks past. So, anyone have suggestions for what I can put on the agenda for the upcoming weeks? My collection contains mostly classic rock, oldies, pop...

Rock on...
Michael Baker
View Profile
Eternal Order
Near a river in the Midwest
11172 Posts

Profile of Michael Baker
Led Zeppelin 1, 2 & 3 in order.

Crosby, Stills & Nash (with or without Young).

Iron Butterfly - Inagodadavida

Kraftwerk - Autobahn

Eagles - Self titled debut album
~michael baker
The Magic Company
stempleton
View Profile
Inner circle
1443 Posts

Profile of stempleton
Michael, you have indeed found holes in my collection. Extremely lacking in vinyl on Zeppelin, although I have "4" (guess it was the "Fast Times At Ridgemont High" influence!) but I do have their box set (yes, a meger representation, I know.) Have all CSN(Y) on vinyl, so I will begin there. Recently completed listening to all Eagles vinyl (pleasantly surprised to find the orginal poster still tucked in to the Hotel California LP). Kraftwerk... wow! Understand their contribution, but would love to hear your view on considering it a "classic." Much thanks for the suggestions!
Michael Baker
View Profile
Eternal Order
Near a river in the Midwest
11172 Posts

Profile of Michael Baker
I also have the Zeppelin box set (cassette, no less!). Good, yeah... but so many of the songs are out of order from the original LP's. Makes my butt pucker every time I listen to it.

Kraftwerk maybe not so much a classic, but definitely pioneer in the genre of techno (before techno equated to Ecstasy dance clubs). It is just a nice journey to take on vinyl, which I'm sure you'll agree has a dimension that goes beyond what digital can do.

More suggestions: Pure Prairie League, early ZZ-Top, early Jefferson Airplane, The Guess Who, , Jethro Tull, Uriah Heep... I could go on and on! Oh, and Marshall Tucker Band. Did you know that one of our Café members used to play with them?? See if you can find him. http://marshalltucker.com/
~michael baker
The Magic Company
motown
View Profile
Inner circle
Atlanta by way of Detroit
6136 Posts

Profile of motown
I still have all my Vinyl and a great B&O turntable to play it on.
Beatles, Stones, Seger, Deep Purple, Sabbath, Grand Funk and of course Motown, to name a few.
"If you ever write anything about me after I'm gone, I will come back and haunt you."
– Karl Germain
critter
View Profile
Inner circle
Spokane, WA
2653 Posts

Profile of critter
I miss my record player. I had every Oingo Boingo record... A Date With Elvis and a few other Cramps ones. Can't remember what all. Some Beatles... Benny Goodman... Junior Wells... Muddy Waters... Sex Pistols... Ramones...
"The fool is one who doesn't know what you have just found out."
~Will Rogers
landmark
View Profile
Inner circle
within a triangle
5194 Posts

Profile of landmark
Lots of duke ellington and charlie parker on fly by night "bargain" labels that I had on LPs that got away from me.

Anyway, my nomination for a classic of the week would be George Harrison's Concert for Bangladesh. (3 record box).
critter
View Profile
Inner circle
Spokane, WA
2653 Posts

Profile of critter
My nom-nation: Never Mind the ********: Here's the Sex Pistols!
"The fool is one who doesn't know what you have just found out."
~Will Rogers
ClintonMagus
View Profile
Inner circle
Southwestern Southeast
3997 Posts

Profile of ClintonMagus
Chicago. CTA through Chicago 11. After that, it just doesn't sound like the same group (because it's not...)
Things are more like they are today than they've ever been before...
CAPTAIN BEYOND
View Profile
New user
Beloit,Wisconsin
60 Posts

Profile of CAPTAIN BEYOND
Demons and Wizards by Uriah Heep,Sticky Fingers by The Rolling Stones,Thirty Seconds Over Winterland by the Jefferson Airplane.
Josh Chaikin
View Profile
Inner circle
Kansas City
1430 Posts

Profile of Josh Chaikin
Styx - Grand Illusion
Queen - News of the World
Rush - Moving Pictures
Springsteen - Born to Run
Ray Tupper.
View Profile
Special user
NG16.
749 Posts

Profile of Ray Tupper.
Quadrophenia.....The Who.
After that,any seven singles stacked up with some coins on the top one,to stop it slipping when played.
Presuming your player is that old.As well a record player from the nineties,I still have my old Dansette
(from the sixties)up in the loft.
What do we want?
A cure for tourettes!
When do we want it?
C*nt!
Dr. Van Van Mojo
View Profile
Special user
570 Posts

Profile of Dr. Van Van Mojo
Stones - Exile on Main Street

Joe Cocker - Mad Dogs and Englishmen

The Band - Music From Big Pink

Stevie Wonder - Fulfillingness' First Finale

Van Morrison - It's Too Late to Stop Now

Faces - A Nod Is As Good As a Wink... to a Blind Horse

Aerosmith's first three albums

Black Crowes - The Southern Harmony and Musical Companion
irossall
View Profile
Special user
Snohomish, Washington
529 Posts

Profile of irossall
Pink Floyd's "Dark Side Of The Moon". If you are using a Tube Amp rather than a Transistor Amp, it sounds even better.
Iven Smile
Give the gift of Life, Be an Organ Donor.
Jimeh
View Profile
Inner circle
Ottawa, Ontario
1399 Posts

Profile of Jimeh
Muddy Waters - Fathers and Sons

Saturday and Sunday mornings I make a coffee, go into my office and play a vinyl record or two while I read my emails etc.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » My New Weekly Habit- Classic Vinyl (LP) Listening (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL