The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Where to put it all... » » Information Storage (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Peter McMillan
View Profile
Elite user
St. George, Utah
497 Posts

Profile of Peter McMillan
Long story short, I lost my printed library years back and have been building a new PDF elibrary using free google ebooks, archives.org free ebooks, the old Learned Pig site, purchases from various online sellers including Lybrary.com, llepub.com and others.

Now that flash drives have proven pretty dependable, and have gobs of memory, I have set up a little system to catalougue ebooks and videos. To read and study the videos I have a refurbished Acer Netbook I picked up on ebay for $130 and bought a 5 hour battery to use along with the 2 hour battery that came with the netbook. I still look forward to a really good PDF ereader someday.

Went on ebay and found a company in China that among its offerings were Five 4gb flash drives shipped for $25. They also had much larger storage capacity FD, but for the price this was what I was looking for. Being different colors for quick ID was a plus. Coins, Cards, Bizarre, General Magic and History. The other side is a mish mash of FD I've picked up. Good for holding scripts, publicity photos, scanned copies of reviews, spreadsheet for business and what ever other information I need about the management end of the business.

Most of the volumes I have collected are from the mid 19th to mid 20th century. Tarbell Original Course, Bobo, Downs, Annemann, and so on. Not to mention volumes of magic history that is a great read, if you could find a hard copy. In my opinion, there is more unmined nuggets of magic in these old books than the normal magician could use in a lifetime. All free for the studying. I also scan and save articles as PDFs when something strikes my interest. Videos are also close at hand and easy to find and playback while practicing. The ones I have purchased for download.

The case I found for a $1 at the thrift store, removed the guts and put in a thin piece of plastic to hold the elastic band. Just like the cartridge holders on a gun belt.

I do like the feel of a book, but this new age of digital information has opened up new opportunities for study that I did not have even 10 years ago. And for me, KNOWLEDGE is the thing. So time to embrace the new.

Thank you for looking.

Click here to view attached image.
Spiritus Dictum Artifacts ~ Tools of the Craft for Serious Workers http://petemcmillan.wixsite.com/sd-artifacts/artifacts
~
www.SantaPeteUtah.com
Slim King
View Profile
Eternal Order
Orlando
18038 Posts

Profile of Slim King
That looks awesome. You must have some good computer chops!!!!
THE MAN THE SKEPTICS REFUSE TO TEST FOR ONE MILLION DOLLARS.. The Worlds Foremost Authority on Houdini's Life after Death.....
Peter McMillan
View Profile
Elite user
St. George, Utah
497 Posts

Profile of Peter McMillan
Thank you for the kind response.

Must admit I do not understand what "good computer chops" means. Would you please enlighten me?

Thank you.
Spiritus Dictum Artifacts ~ Tools of the Craft for Serious Workers http://petemcmillan.wixsite.com/sd-artifacts/artifacts
~
www.SantaPeteUtah.com
jugglestruck
View Profile
Inner circle
Wales
1038 Posts

Profile of jugglestruck
I think it means computer skills Smile
maxnew40
View Profile
Elite user
402 Posts

Profile of maxnew40
If you can I would backup that information to a CD or DVD media also. I did some research on archive media and if I remeber right they don't know how long those flash drives will last. It is always good to have you valuable data backed up.

-Max
Alan Munro
View Profile
Inner circle
Kentwood, Michigan, USA
5952 Posts

Profile of Alan Munro
Flash drives will quit without warning and are less dependable than a hard drive. I only use them to backup files from my hard drive. I use TeraCopy to make backup copies. It couldn't hurt to store a second set of backups, periodically, off-site.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Where to put it all... » » Information Storage (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL