The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Table hoppers & party strollers » » Am I ready for table hopping? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
Siraldi
View Profile
Regular user
Johnson City, Tennessee
102 Posts

Profile of Siraldi
I would say go. I think having about 3 sets of tricks/routines is a great start for a first night. You don't want to do the same exat tricks to eah table... people notice. Though if you have a good reaction... people will ask to see THAT trick. What I did when I started was take a certain percentage and go to a magic shop (I always shop local when possible) and ask the owner for suggestions. Take that percentage and buy a few strong tricks. After you have that save up and buy some books on performing. Also... remember... most people you perform for are laymen and are impressed by the SIMPLE stuff. I use the hotrod ALWAYS when I see people I've never seen before. But jump in! It's all trial and error!
theamazingsauce
View Profile
New user
96 Posts

Profile of theamazingsauce
Great advice from everyone, thank you so much. I think I'm ready to jump in, plus I'll get some added practice by volunteering at the Children's Hospital. My only question now is, as an amateur magician what should I charge?
AndyLuka
View Profile
Elite user
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
440 Posts

Profile of AndyLuka
Price depends on your market. Find out what other magicians are charging and charge about the same. No matter what you charge be sure to over deliver. For example if you're charging $125 a hour, you need to give them $250 a hour worth of entertainment. Its in your best interest to always exceed their expectations.
Making Magic and Fantasy a reality in a world where our reality can sometimes be rather cruel

Http://www.lukamagic.com -That's Me

Http://www.deceptionsmke -My Show
General_Magician
View Profile
Special user
United States
707 Posts

Profile of General_Magician
Quote:
I think I'm ready to jump in, plus I'll get some added practice by volunteering at the Children's Hospital. My only question now is, as an amateur magician what should I charge?

Glad to hear you are ready to take the plunge, now take action! When you start performing at restaurants, your skill level is going to get way better! You will be amazed at how much better your magic becomes when you start performing at restaurants regularly. As far as price, you are going to find many magicians here relectant to publicly post their rates for various reasons so I would have to agree with Andy that price depends on the market in your local area.

If there are some magicians in the area see if they will be willing to tell you what they charge. If there are no magicians in your area, I think a fair price for decent quality magic would be anywhere between $25 but no more than $75 bucks an hour (and I would only charge that higher rate of $75 an hour if your magic is really good AND you have a decent amount of performance experience AND it's a fine dining establishment). That's just my opinion, but again, as Andy stated, local markets and what they are willing to bear dictate price. Good luck!
"Never fear shadows. They simply mean there is a light shining somewhere nearby." -unknown

Company Website
Facebook Business Page
Twitter Business Page
Michael_MacDonald
View Profile
1964 - 2016
Washington
2034 Posts

Profile of Michael_MacDonald
The posts above are right on the money brother.

let me add a few tips to help as well.

as stated above performing for guests waiting in line for a table is great as it helps reduce the perceived wait time and keeps everyone happy.

the time to approach a table is after the server has taken the order but before the salad comes in when the food comes wrap it up and slide on to the next table.

if there has been a mix up on an order the servers will sometimes ask you to hold down a table while they make it right. keeping the customer smiling and happy will keep you employed longer at the gig.

once you recognize some of the regulars try to call them by name when you see them. this will develop a relationship with them and they will bring in more people to see you perform.

these are things that work for me please take any of it you think of value.
congratulations on getting your first steady gig! have fun and break a leg.

Michael
123crampt
View Profile
Veteran user
389 Posts

Profile of 123crampt
Go for it, give it a stab mate!
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Table hoppers & party strollers » » Am I ready for table hopping? (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL