The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Does this "monte" routine exist? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Ed_Millis
View Profile
Inner circle
Yuma, AZ
2292 Posts

Profile of Ed_Millis
I'm not at all up on the Three-Card Monte for any variations, so please excuse me if this is a "no brains" question. Does this routine, or something similar, exist with jumbo (letter/A4) sized cards?

Let's say you have a king of clubs and a king of hearts. Add in a joker. Give the two kings blue backs and the joker a red back. Is it possible to continually "set aside" a "king" - face up or down, always with the correct back - but when you show both sides of the other two, they are always the kings and the other is always the joker?

I assume that's a standard monte routine, yes? But with the jumbo cards and the back changes?

Ed
jimgerrish
View Profile
Inner circle
East Orange, NJ
3209 Posts

Profile of jimgerrish
Doc Nixon's "Oh Joker" seems to come close to that. It's been revived by Spellbinder as "Oh Dracula!" for Halloween, but it's the same idea with picture cards. Dracula has a blue back and the other monsters have red backs. However, in this version, Dracula disappears and the card with the blue back now has only a vampire bat on it. Later blue-backed Dracula is found on someone's back, or wherever appropriate for the age of the audience. Spellbinder's version is in The Wizards' Journal #24. It can be done with any size playing cards, from regular to ultra jumbo.
Ed_Millis
View Profile
Inner circle
Yuma, AZ
2292 Posts

Profile of Ed_Millis
Thank you! I like the Magic Nook's stuff - just haven't had a chance to buy everything I want! :8>) Some of Qua-Fiki's stuff looks good too. I saw a picture of him doing a jumbo monte routine with the 3rd card in his cummerbund - would that be related to this?

Ed
jimgerrish
View Profile
Inner circle
East Orange, NJ
3209 Posts

Profile of jimgerrish
No, Qua-Fiki's "Ace Chaser" is totally different; different methods, different plot except that a monte is a monte with hide and seek as the main event. It uses gaffed cards and "Oh Dracula!" does not (unless you consider cards that have Dracula, bats and monsters as somehow gaffed).
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Does this "monte" routine exist? (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL