The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Rings, strings & things » » Fred Kaps Dancing/floating cork (5 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Zombie Magic
View Profile
Inner circle
I went out for a beer and now have
8733 Posts

Profile of Zombie Magic
What an amazing illusion, even by todays standards.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xNfG3KqJ37Y

It was marketed in the 70's through Ken Brooke and before it was sold, you had to sign an agreement pledging not to share the secret, with anyone.
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Yes, I still have my original from Ken Brooke. It is a trick for special ocassions. Finn Jon as a nice handling for the Kap's Cork as well.
motown
View Profile
Inner circle
Atlanta by way of Detroit
6136 Posts

Profile of motown
Both the booklet and marketed effect can still be bought from Steven 's Magic.
"If you ever write anything about me after I'm gone, I will come back and haunt you."
– Karl Germain
Kjellstrom
View Profile
Inner circle
Sweden, Scandinavia, Europe
5203 Posts

Profile of Kjellstrom
Fred Kaps is my favourite magician. He was special.
Jimeh
View Profile
Inner circle
Ottawa, Ontario
1399 Posts

Profile of Jimeh
Great piece of video, thanks for sharing that!
Clemens Ilgner
View Profile
New user
Germany
34 Posts

Profile of Clemens Ilgner
Hi,

the floating cork was original invented by Joro (Bruno Hennig) from Germany and given by him to Fred Kaps. Later the routine was published by Ken Brooke in his shop.
You can see Joro in a video here: http://www.weser-ems-markt.de/joro/jorobig.wmv

Joro is 84 now and in very good condition. I met him two weeks ago at a german convention in Hamburg. By the way he is also the founder of the "folded card in box" principle!

Best, Clemens
robvh
View Profile
Elite user
Calgary, AB
440 Posts

Profile of robvh
I found this video of Kaps performing the Floating Cork. The video quality isn't great but I think the performance and animation of the cork is much better than the clip above. It seems much more mysterious to be than the springing back and forth motion of the first video. Enjoy.

http://youtu.be/c-TpKRE64OU
george1953
View Profile
Inner circle
Mallorca (Spain)
5943 Posts

Profile of george1953
I still have mine somewhere, never could do it as good as that though.
By failing to prepare, we are preparing to fail.
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18558 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
Robvh - that was filmed at Philippe Fialho's home. Bro. Hamman watching.
STAY TOONED... @ www.pete-biro.com
Mike ODonnell
View Profile
Loyal user
Chicago
215 Posts

Profile of Mike ODonnell
I've been working on this for quite some time. I finally felt ready to perform this tonight at one of my weekly gigs. The response was unreal and will use this for the right situations. This is a very small clip of my performance, as the memory of the iPhone was depleted. https://www.facebook.com/video.php?v=849626371766277
george1953
View Profile
Inner circle
Mallorca (Spain)
5943 Posts

Profile of george1953
Well done, why do you use a bottle cap and not a cork ? Just wondered.
joseph
View Profile
Eternal Order
Please ignore my
17411 Posts

Profile of joseph
..probably because it's a 'Kaps' routine. Smile ...
"Everything should be made as simple as possible, but no simpler." (Einstein)...
Mike ODonnell
View Profile
Loyal user
Chicago
215 Posts

Profile of Mike ODonnell
I perform weekly at Lagunitas brewery and used their bottle cap.
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Quote:
On Feb 14, 2015, Mike ODonnell wrote:
I perform weekly at Lagunitas brewery and used their bottle cap.

Then you should use the Finn Jon routine that is published as an extra sheet of instructions. Using the bottle make more sense, as you can talk about the Brewery's fine product while. Like, their light beer is so light it floats.

After watching our snippet I have some advice, never say, "this one great trick". Make it magical, think about the words you use. Make it interesting through what you say. Then the floating bottle cap becomes more interesting and a mystery and not just a "trick".

Think behind the reason you have this particular cap in a box. What makes it special to keep in a box and not a box full of caps. Present your magic, don't just do tricks. Tricks are boring, magic is fun and mysterious.
Mike ODonnell
View Profile
Loyal user
Chicago
215 Posts

Profile of Mike ODonnell
Thanks Bill,

When I say "one great trick" I was referring to the picture/logo of the dog on the cap. The "dog" can do one great trick and there was more presentation before the video started. I understand what you mean and will change up the wording.
george1953
View Profile
Inner circle
Mallorca (Spain)
5943 Posts

Profile of george1953
I have an original I bought back in the 70s, I believe it was from Ken Brooks magic place.
Rainboguy
View Profile
Inner circle
1915 Posts

Profile of Rainboguy
I also have an original. Still, to this day, Ken Brooke's written instructions for this and every other trick he marketed are, in my opinion, the BEST in the world of Magic.

For what it's worth, this is a near-perfect bit of Magic to perform on TV IF you're inside a studio and have the luxury of checking your lighting during rehearsal on camera.

Also, for what it's worth, a cork is an excellent thing to use for routining in magic as you can switch in/out for various great magic effects. Just my 2 cents worth.
george1953
View Profile
Inner circle
Mallorca (Spain)
5943 Posts

Profile of george1953
Its a fabulous piece of magic, I only wish I could do it as well as Fred Maps did !
Ron Vergilio
View Profile
Special user
Murrieta, CA
835 Posts

Profile of Ron Vergilio
I got this back in the 70's also. I was one of the performers and a year end banquet for a magic club in Orange County. I did this as my closer but changed it completely. I had a small plastic black top hat that I used with a red sponge ball. I had the hat in my left hand and came up from behind with my right hand as if I was engaging a thread. I wiggled my fingers over the hat and the ball floated up about three inches then went back down into the hat. I then had the ball float up again a little higher and you could tell no one was really impressed.

I then lowered my right hand and took the hat from the left hand and placed it on the table. You could hear the mermering at that point. I then did the routine using the ring and all. I then placed the hat back into my left hand and the ball lowered into it. I immediately walked up to the nearest table and dropped the hat, ball and ring onto the table and took my bow. Best applause I ever received. Boy, did they ever look over the three items. Anyway, that was a long time ago but a nice memory.
May the magic in your life never disappear

*** Lou Serrano's Steel Ball Routine ***
george1953
View Profile
Inner circle
Mallorca (Spain)
5943 Posts

Profile of george1953
Good memories Ron, I no longer do it because with my eyesight I can't see what I need to see to be able to do it !!!
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Rings, strings & things » » Fred Kaps Dancing/floating cork (5 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL