The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricky business » » What's the ups and downs of owning a bouncy house business in addition to your magic business? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
Mindpro
View Profile
Eternal Order
10618 Posts

Profile of Mindpro
Much more too it. Kid puking, peeing, etc. One of the major issues is are you just renting, delivering it and setting it up and returning to pick it up, or are you including an on-site operator during the entire time? Most accidents and problems occur in the unattended situation which sets you up for greater liability. Many choose this option because they don't have to pay an on-site attendant for the entire rental which they think makes their margins greater. So they cut corners in paying for employees and end up paying more on the back end in insurance and lawsuits.

Much to research and consider.
magicofCurtis
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles
2545 Posts

Profile of magicofCurtis
Actually Mindpro, many churches or companies will pay uppers of $50 per hour for someone to sit and watch.
ALso, if you have a waiver stating that the bounce needs to be cleaned and deflated by xx times or there is a $25-$50 fee, you be surprise how well they are cleaned! Smile
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21263 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
You can have any release you want. It will not stop a laywer from trying to collect. It is that simple. It will cost you money to make sure they don't collect.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
magicofCurtis
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles
2545 Posts

Profile of magicofCurtis
Everything in life has a risk being sued.

Driving a car - can cause a car wreck - law suit for the driver even the car maker in some cases
Having sex- can cause a child then child support - suit
Taking a shower, can fall in the bathtub - sue the manufacture
Magician can poke a person in the eye my a mistake- law suit to the performer
Opening a jar can break, law suit to the manufacture...
ETC-ETC.

But this doesn't keep people from building cars, having sex, creating bathroom fixtures, performing or jarring food. People minimize risk and create great businesses.

There are the doers in life and the complainers.... I say be a doer and
go for the gold and enjoy your new business buddy!
Mindpro
View Profile
Eternal Order
10618 Posts

Profile of Mindpro
Right, but doers can either be smart doers or dumb doers. All I'm saying is if you're going to do it, do it right and don't cut corners, especially when it comes to safety and protection.
Leland
View Profile
Inner circle
St Louis
1180 Posts

Profile of Leland
I'm a doer.

I do have insurance and I do have someone that is reliable and I do have a business plan that keeps me profitable. I do also have the businesses that enter the market and think that they can do so without insurance and rent the units for far less than I do. This business is a pain in the rear but I keep doing it because I'm making money at it.
Life of Magic!
Mindpro
View Profile
Eternal Order
10618 Posts

Profile of Mindpro
I actually have a friend that has made a very nice business just buying used units from single operators that tried to cut corners and never actually made it a real business with a business, plan, goals or staffing. He does it right, but offers pennies on the dollar for these used, "just sitting there" units. He bails out the bottom feeders and expands is growing business with each of these acquisitions he does.

Like many businesses as Leland says, if you structure it right it can be profitable and run right.
danfreed
View Profile
Inner circle
West Chester PA
1354 Posts

Profile of danfreed
I rented out a large amount of bounces and equipment for several years. The liability insurance costs a fortune, it's a ton of hard physical labor - often in really hot weather, the bounces and blowers need repair sometimes and that is expensive, then you have expensive vehicle and fuel costs, you can hire people to do some of the work but then you have all those headaches and expenses, and you may have competitors that charge too low - if not now then later. It can work, but the key is probably getting a ton of work to make up for the expenses. I finally gave it up after the last year when rodents chewed a bunch of holes in 2 units and insurance nearly doubled. You can buy them used, but then you may not find the better quality stuff and it will need repair sooner. I suggest doing it only if you are brave and ready to deal with a lot of headaches and stress.
Lavey
View Profile
Regular user
Luxembourg
150 Posts

Profile of Lavey
I dou it since a year. You can earn a lot of extra income and you will gain some extra work. So I had a school renting 3 castles and as they saw that I do magic they also booked a magic show.

But it's a lot of work also. You have to find customers, buy some units, deliver them (they are heavy...).

Just one thing: stay away from cheap units and stay away from China Units.
Christian Lavey
Magician from Luxembourg https://lavey.lu
Magicien de Luxembourg https://lavey.lu
Zauberer aus Luxemburg https://lavey.lu
Matthew W
View Profile
Inner circle
New York
2456 Posts

Profile of Matthew W
An easier way to bring in more money is to expand your entertainment services. I started with magic, then added balloon animals. Later I moved on to clown shows, face painting, and glitter tattoos.

The costs involved are less, and are all covered under the same insurance.
-Matt
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricky business » » What's the ups and downs of owning a bouncy house business in addition to your magic business? (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL