The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Flash paper (1 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
irossall
View Profile
Special user
Snohomish, Washington
529 Posts

Profile of irossall
The only time I ever burned myself, I was showing off and held a large sheet 8"x10" rolled into a tight ball between my thumb and forefinger and held it much longer than anyone would need to in a performance. The burn was very minor and did not interfere with my guitar playing, nor did I need salve or bandage.
Iven Smile
Give the gift of Life, Be an Organ Donor.
Kyoki_Sanitys_Eclipse
View Profile
Inner circle
1513 Posts

Profile of Kyoki_Sanitys_Eclipse
I simply love flash paper. It adds that little more to your magic and if you do it right you wont burn your fingers. The worst thing that ever happened was the smell of chemicals on my fingers for a couple days. If you are looking for a routine to do with it I would go for flash coins relit.
Cyberqat
View Profile
Inner circle
You can tell I work on the net from my
2209 Posts

Profile of Cyberqat
There are different kinds and qualities of flash paper. SOme flash paper burns faster then others. A faster flame is actually safer, but less showy.

High quality, fast ignite flash paper burns so fast that you can burn it in an outstretched palm and not get burned.

BUT THIS IS NOT TRUE FOR ALL FLASH PAPER

I was used to that kind and learned the hard way that it isn't always true. It wasn't a bad burn. First degree at worst, mostly more of a welt, but it taught me caution.

If you want to do flame from your figertips, you might look into the various hand-pot and cannon gimmick which give you some added protection over bare-handed use.

Fire is fire. Fire hurts, fire can light other things on fire, and other things on fire can kill. There is no such thing as "safe fire" and fire props should always be used properly which means with caution. If you are going to do any fire magic the first thing I recommend you buy is a little fire chest (Sentry makes one) and keep all your flammables in there when not in active use.

I don't mean to overly scare you, used properly well made fire proops can be fun and add a lot to your magic. But they DO have inherent dangers you need to be aware of.
It is always darkest just before you are eaten by a grue.
frankvomit
View Profile
Elite user
485 Posts

Profile of frankvomit
Craig Petty has a great Ebook available for Download called "In a Flash" it's available in the downloads section at worldmagicstore.com.

I'm a guitar player and use flash paper all the time and my fingers are fine.
Dick Oslund
View Profile
Inner circle
8357 Posts

Profile of Dick Oslund
Quote:
On 2012-11-07 12:48, bowers wrote:
There is a book called flash paper and tips. It's by robsin and read todd

Paive! Kuinke Semena!

I THINK THE BOOK ON FLASH PAPER WAS BY THE LATE STUART ROBSON AND THE LATE RALPH READ. --But not 100% sure.

FLASH PAPER IS NOT A TOY!!! (ANY FIRE IS NOT A TOY!!!)

The reason the paper wrapper disintegrated, as far as I know, was due to the NITRIC ACID in the flash paper.

Years ago, a magic dealer in Cleveland, Ohio was KILLED in a flash paper accident.

Find out the facts BEFORE you try it in a show.
SNEAKY, UNDERHANDED, DEVIOUS,& SURREPTITIOUS ITINERANT MOUNTEBANK
Magic Pierre
View Profile
Loyal user
212 Posts

Profile of Magic Pierre
The first time I came on this board I was looking for info on whether or not flash paper could be run through a printer.
I have to laugh (sorry to say) that both the authors of the book on flash paper are "the late". Where did they scatter the ashes?
plink
View Profile
Special user
661 Posts

Profile of plink
DO NOT use flashpaper in a funkenring. The metal gets HOT.
Cyberqat
View Profile
Inner circle
2209 Posts

Profile of Cyberqat
DO NOT TRY TO PRINT ON FLASH PAPER!

Pretty much every printer technology involves heat. You are quite likely to start a fire in your printer.
magicman344
View Profile
New user
85 Posts

Profile of magicman344
Quote:
On 2013-06-01 22:46, Cyberqat wrote:
DO NOT TRY TO PRINT ON FLASH PAPER!

Pretty much every printer technology involves heat. You are quite likely to start a fire in your printer.

how would you suggest putting designs on flash paper if you cannot print it on?
magicman344
View Profile
New user
85 Posts

Profile of magicman344
I noticed that in this thread, people have been talking about the performer's safety, but you also want to be aware of the spectators. If you are performing for kids(all of them are pyros at heart), flash paper may not be the best idea. Also, you want to be aware of your location. Is it windy enough that you may start a fire? Either way, you need to think long and hard when using flash paper, it can't just be on a whim.
Cyberqat
View Profile
Inner circle
2209 Posts

Profile of Cyberqat
Magicman

I would say a hand operated printing press or stencil and paint/markers are probably safe. Block lithography *might* be safe but id want to make sure of what the chemicals do when the paper comes into contact with them. I suspect the best way, and the way the professionals do it, is to print on the paper *before* it is soaked in the accelerant.

Keep in mind that getting the ink on the paper is only half the concern. will the ink produce any fumes that are bad when burned? Will the ink effect the timing of the flash reaction? These are things I can't tell you./

Honestly, if it were me, I'd leave such things up to the professionals or get a genuine chemist friend to advise.
Cyberqat
View Profile
Inner circle
2209 Posts

Profile of Cyberqat
Quote:
On 2013-06-05 16:43, magicman344 wrote:
I noticed that in this thread, people have been talking about the performer's safety, but you also want to be aware of the spectators. If you are performing for kids(all of them are pyros at heart), flash paper may not be the best idea.

This is a very good point. When I do my dove pan appearance of my cockatiel I use some yellow tissue paper to ignite a ball of flash cotton I palm and drop into the pan after showing it empty.

HOWEVER I do a whole lead up about how dangerous fire is, and that I have both special training and a special magic pan, and they should NOT try to call their own magic birdie this way and make sure I get nods before we go on.

You never know what idea a bright 6 year old will get if you don't discourage them.
Magic Pierre
View Profile
Loyal user
212 Posts

Profile of Magic Pierre
I'm in my 50's and the answers I got about flashpaper fully discouraged me...
Cyberqat
View Profile
Inner circle
2209 Posts

Profile of Cyberqat
Well, if used with proper respect and discretion it can be a greta tool.

But if you think you might be sloppy or work in an uncontrolled environment then yes its best not to work with flammables. I never used any flammables on the street. Only in stage work or very controlled parlor settings.
Bulletproof
View Profile
New user
Frankfurt am Main (Germany)
1 Post

Profile of Bulletproof
Hy guys!!!

Can you tell me experience about the flash paper?
How dangerous is? What if I put on fire inside my closed hand?
Can make it much damage on the skin and muscle?

Or nothing happends?

Thanks a lot ;-)
Best regards.
Magic is more than a simple trick...

https://www.facebook.com/Bulletproofmagician
RedHatMagic
View Profile
Loyal user
UK
239 Posts

Profile of RedHatMagic
Play with flashpaper you will get minor burns at some point. But as has been stated some flashpaper is safer than others. In the UK I get my flash products from illusioncraft. It seems to burn "cooler" than some others, I don't know why.

While caution is required many people have found you can print on flashpaper with an inkjet printer. Laser printers use heat and it will burn....so inkjet you are probably ok...laser don't do it.

Old flashpaper burns slower than new (hurts more and is a bit rubbish).
Let the Entertainment Commence!
javlin5
View Profile
New user
42 Posts

Profile of javlin5
Jay Sankey's DVD is good.

I don't think flashpaper should be a major worry, as depending on how much your using it burns VERY quickly.

Just don't use it near a woman with hairspray and you should be fine!
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Flash paper (1 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL