The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Street Magic » » Real "Guerilla" Magic (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
iMagic
View Profile
New user
28 Posts

Profile of iMagic
Gregory Wilson's "On the Spot: Guerilla Tactics" is a great video for learning stuff that can be done totally impromptu and doesn't involve gimmicks. So if you're somewhat of a purist then you can learn many incredible things from this. Smile
Chris H
View Profile
Inner circle
Melbourne, Australia
1364 Posts

Profile of Chris H
Paul Zenon does the routine where he uses the "money printer" (for want of a better name) to store clerks and cashiers. It seems to get dumbfounded reactions when he slips a piece of paper through an odd looking machine and it comes out the other end as a $20 note. His story is that these machines are a chemical developer and you can carry around blank notes instead of real cash. I like it.

Cheers,

Chris
Mike Walton
View Profile
Special user
Chicago
984 Posts

Profile of Mike Walton
Use the 3D Cash gimmick for a restaurant when the tab is a little higher. Take out your wad of bills and show 4 singles then flick the bills and show 4 fives and note that you don't have enough. Then flick the bills and show 4 twenties and pay your tab. 3D Cash has 3 changes.
magicduro
View Profile
Special user
Las Vegas
529 Posts

Profile of magicduro
Check out Penn and Teller's how to play with your food.
dynamiteassasin
View Profile
Inner circle
Naval Air Facility, Atsugi, Japan
1158 Posts

Profile of dynamiteassasin
Dough by Jay Sankey is good.

If guerilla magic is your thing, try expanding your knowledge in rubberband magic. I prefer Dan Harlan videos especially Bandshark. Imagine the advantage.
-Rubber Bands are a common thing
-an everyday object
-plus it packs light compared to cards and coins and gimmicks. Smile
Hoelderlin
View Profile
Regular user
Turin, italy
112 Posts

Profile of Hoelderlin
I have just one perplexity about performing an effect for someone which is waiting for a tip. The relation between performer and audience, in this case, is a bit unusual: the waiter is there to get his tip and the customer forces him to watch a little show if he wants to receive it. Of course, the waiter has no other possible reactions than smiling or saying, "oh wonderful", because he is in position of inferiority. It sounds like your boss would call you in his office to give you a bonus and would say, "but, before getting it, sit down, 'cause I want to show me perform _Money Money Money_ on karaoke".
But maybe I exagerate.
Hölderlin (Massimo Manca) - Circolo Amici della Magia - Turin - Italy.
discjockey
View Profile
Elite user
451 Posts

Profile of discjockey
I went to a hardware store last week to buy a bunch of 5 inch nails. when I went to the cashier, she asked me if I had the right size. I then took one out, and started to (really) stick it into my nose. I pushed it almost all the way in. then. pulled it out. she fainted. I just left a $20 on the counter and walked away.
Caspar
View Profile
Veteran user
Tacoma
316 Posts

Profile of Caspar
An impromptu coin routine I have been working with is to produce a coin from the fingertips which is followed by "Inside Sugar" and "Glass Stinger".

the first and second phase is ideal for Guerilla Magic.

I start with the coin in a "Down's Palm in my right hand and reach to grab something out of the air. I then finger palm the coin and bring it behind the index and middle finger pinching it with my thumb in the back.

I then hold these two fingers as if I am holding something but the spectator sees nothing as the coin is still concealed. I then flash my left hand to show that it contains nothing and pass it in front of the fingers of my right hand. As the left hand is making its pass the thumb of the right hand pushes the coin up to the tips of the two fingers.

You can then perform "Inside Sugar" (Sorry I do not know if this is the name of the original effect) and as a kicker you could restore the sugar packet.

Oh yeah and here is six words for you....Thumb Tip, Thumb Tip, Thumb Tip.

Take care

Chayne
adamjames
View Profile
Loyal user
England
205 Posts

Profile of adamjames
Here are a couple ideas:

At the cashiers: Bobo switch a coin...maybe from a foreign (chinese is good) coin to the coin you need to pay with. I start off with a remark like, "I keep getting this foreign money" before I do the switch.

or...

take out too much change, hand over what's required then slide vanish the rest.

If you can do an inertia pass (Sylvester Pitch), you can fumble in your pockets for money, take out a single coin, frownbecause it isn't enough, throw it into your other hand and pocket it. Then open the hand they just saw empty to reveal your wallet.

One thing I like about "guerilla magic" is that the pressure isn't on...you haven't told anyone you are going to perform a trick, so if it goes wrong no one knows what you were going to do anyway.

To be honest, I prefer this approach to the "let me show you something" approach. The subtlety of it seems to affect the spectators more, especially if you make out like these things happen to you all the time.

Adam

As for that convenience store clerk you mention:

How about a bill switch?

On Manuel Muerte's "Done by Misdirection" is an impromptu bill switch that requires NO gimmicks (not even a TT), and is VERY visual.

Quote:
Henry Evans “3-D Photo” is a great little bit. You pluck a bill from a photo of you holding a bill, leaving the photo of you without the bill and a surprised look on your face.

Harry, do you know where this is available? It sounds good.

There are some great ideas in this thread. Do you guys think "guerilla" magicians are in the minority? I don't see much written about guerilla magic, to be honest, apart form the Magic Anarchist site.

Adam
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Street Magic » » Real "Guerilla" Magic (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL