The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Now that’s funny! » » Street gags and pranks... (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Wizard291
View Profile
New user
74 Posts

Profile of Wizard291
Dear All,

I hope this is the right place for this topic -

I will be filming a street magic video in the coming weeks, and am looking to use a large amount of pranks and sight gags.

Two ideas are -

- Call a public phone, wait for someone to go inside the phone box and answer it, and then run around the outside with masking tape, locking them inside.

- Do a magic trick on someone (filming secretly) then get them to hold the card on their forehead, close their eyes, while I "read their mind". Then I run away quietly, and let the camera roll as they open their eyes, feel silly, and walk away slightly miffed.

Does anyone out there have more ideas? Would be much appreciated.

Thank you!

D.
pxs
View Profile
Loyal user
London
284 Posts

Profile of pxs
How about vanishing someone's precious object (wedding ring, £50 note etc) but not re-producing it. Just say, 'thanks' and walk off (Can be returned to spectator off camera).
El_Lamo
View Profile
Special user
Canada
589 Posts

Profile of El_Lamo
How about not doing street pranks and magic at the same time!

It would seem to be a fairly sharp razor edge to straddle.

I would suggest focussing your energies on one or the other.

Cheers - El Lamo
Life is a system of circumstance presented coincidently in an illusory way.
Wizard291
View Profile
New user
74 Posts

Profile of Wizard291
Thanks for the idea - the problem is the video is for a large 500 person assembly, either we can bust our guts trying to impress them, but they are our peers and at 8.30 on a Saturday morning they're hard to please, it's real make or break.

It will be light-hearted - not Jackass or anything, no bag snatching from old ladies or animal abuse, just some light humour to add to the humour.

Magic works well, but have made 3 videos so far of JUST magic, and would like to see the reaction to a bit of humour in there too.
Lee Darrow
View Profile
V.I.P.
Chicago, IL USA
3588 Posts

Profile of Lee Darrow
The old joy buzzer on the side of the chop cup works well. People jump about a block into the air - I did.

Pen Thru Anything through your earlobe. Comment "Is this too busy?"

Paper balls over the head. All by itself is hysterical.

Force a card on a guy and, as he's shuffling it back into the deck - stick a sign on his back that says "I chose the 4 of Hearts"

Then have other people on the street tell him what card he took. It will drive him nuts.

The Groucho Marx Card Trick (from the movie "Duck Soup"): "Pick a card." Spectator responds, "Okay, now what?" Answer: "Keep it! I've got 51 left!" Walk away.

Maybe it's because it's monday morning that my sadistic streak is showing... Smile

Lee Darrow, C.Ht.
http://www.leedarrow.com
http://www.leedarrow.com
<BR>"Because NICE Matters!"
Mushu
View Profile
Loyal user
253 Posts

Profile of Mushu
IMHO, any gag where someone else is your victim will likely turn your audience against you. Conversely, if you can turn it around where you end up being the fool, you'll have the audience on your side.

When I see someone getting Punk'd, I secretly hope the gag backfires big-time.

Why not consider including some bloopers at the end of your video, or some obviously staged effects-gone-terribly-wrong interspersed throughout your video as little asides. Like having Rocky eat a coin and express out a fountain of coins; but when you go show your dad, Rocky only makes a mess in his hands. Ewwww.
ChrisZampese
View Profile
Veteran user
Hamilton, NZ
341 Posts

Profile of ChrisZampese
As much as I hate to say it, this sort of video would probably sell better than just straight magic. Look at the shows we have on TV, Candid camera, Punk'd etc that use others shame and humiliation to get good ratings!
Personally I couldn't bring myself to subject my audience to humiliation like that, but by the sounds of it DMC is performing to a specific group who may appreciate this, and the video he will get will certainly be appreciated by 'the masses'.

Sorry DMC, no suggestions of pranks, just a bit of a rant!!
The most beautiful experience we can have is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. Whoever does not know it and can no longer wonder, no longer marvel, is as good as dead, and his eyes are
Wizard291
View Profile
New user
74 Posts

Profile of Wizard291
I agree, this is not really my style at all, but for 500 boys of 17 and 18 this is exactly what they like - they don't appreciate stylized Magic or impressive feats, they just want a laugh.

No offense caused, I am with you, but it will work, I know it!

(Did the trick where someone takes a card and then holds it to their head whilst I ask them to close their eyes and I try to read their mind... "Now I'm going to be quiet and not say anything, I will just pick up on your signals. After 20 seconds of silence I will say your card..." They close their eyes, and I walk off. Ho ho - sounds harsh but they're all friends and peers and all saw the funny side. No offense caused.
Mushu
View Profile
Loyal user
253 Posts

Profile of Mushu
Well, if you're bent on doing it, nothing we can say will stop you. Just don't embarass the magic profession too much. And know where to draw the line. Not like these bozos:

http://www.newsnet5.com/news/2598657/detail.html
ChrisZampese
View Profile
Veteran user
Hamilton, NZ
341 Posts

Profile of ChrisZampese
Quote:
On 2003-11-06 00:06, Mushu wrote:
Well, if you're bent on doing it, nothing we can say will stop you. Just don't embarass the magic profession too much. And know where to draw the line. Not like these bozos:

http://www.newsnet5.com/news/2598657/detail.html

Thanks for the link Mushu, worth a read DMC. If you start doing that sort of prank then you have gone way, way too far!
Still, sounds like you understand your audience (and have some common sense!) so I am sure you will be careful not to cross boundaries.
The most beautiful experience we can have is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. Whoever does not know it and can no longer wonder, no longer marvel, is as good as dead, and his eyes are
Mushu
View Profile
Loyal user
253 Posts

Profile of Mushu
The concept of Magus Interruptus can be extended into a running gag. For example, with the card on forehead gag that you mentioned above, the magician is distracted by something whilst performing the trick, and then continues to something new, oblivious to the person still holding the card to his forehead.

As the magician roams from spot to spot, the helper is one step behind. As he performs, the helper is seen in the background waving the card .. excuse me, er, excuse me .. just as he nears the magician, the magician moves on to the next spot.

The helper would be a confederate, and the trick would involve something like borrowing something of value from the helper, or tying him in a straitjacket. Perhaps locking him up in stocks or in a guillotine, and dragging the thing around as he follows the magician from spot to spot.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Now that’s funny! » » Street gags and pranks... (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL