The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Table hoppers & party strollers » » A matter of payment (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

joculari
View Profile
New user
Canada
80 Posts

Profile of joculari
Hello,
I did my first gig last night going table to table with a small but solid routine. The restaurant definetly wants me back and I'm really eager to return but I have one problem.

I have to speak to the manager sometime this week to decide how much I'm going to get paid. I was also asked how much do I "charge". I've never done anything of the sort before and all I've ever done was street busking.

How much would you charge for a simple restaurant gig?

I basically did some spongeballs, string and ring, coins through silk, and an elastic routine.

Thanks in advance for you advice.
MacGyver
View Profile
Inner circle
St. Louis, MO
1419 Posts

Profile of MacGyver
How did you do tablehopping without getting paid?

First off how much does your resturant charge per meal, and then figure out how much you are worth...

I think the rate is about twice the price of a meal for 2 people... so if 2 people cost about 30 bucks to eat there, then 60 dollars...

of course if you are really good, or just starting out, your price should reflect that
joculari
View Profile
New user
Canada
80 Posts

Profile of joculari
Well, my routine was solid, no one picked up any mistakes and by their reactions they enjoyed what they saw. I don't want to be cocky but I'm not bad. What I do I do well.

I'm not getting payed yet because its a comedy night thing that the restaurant is just starting. I was told to talk to the manager aftwewards to decide how much I would get paid.

Although that's really good advice. Twice the price of a meal. Sounds about right.

One more question, how about birthday parties. I was offered a gig to juggle fire/knives , eat fire, juggle in general and do probably the same routine mentioned above. How much should I charge for that.

I'm really sorry to bother, it's just that I tend to do these things for free but people are now approaching me with offers which involve payment, a very new concept to me. I'm ecstatic, just clueless
david_a_whitehead
View Profile
Inner circle
USA
2122 Posts

Profile of david_a_whitehead
Ive gotten paid up to $200 a night for certain functions. for a normal table hopping gig though at a restaurant I usually charge somewhere in between $80 and $120 depending on how long I have to be there and if it is a saturday/friday night
nums
View Profile
Veteran user
I have a life, or I would have more than
366 Posts

Profile of nums
$80.00 - $120.00!!!!!!! that is about $4,000,000 candian right?

Jeff
KirkG
View Profile
Inner circle
1391 Posts

Profile of KirkG
$50.00 per hour for two hours is pretty much the standard. If they can't afford that, they can't afford to have you. Find someone who can.

Kirk
david_a_whitehead
View Profile
Inner circle
USA
2122 Posts

Profile of david_a_whitehead
4000000 candian...what are you talking about???
twistedace
View Profile
Inner circle
philadelphia
3772 Posts

Profile of twistedace
I agree with Kirk if the place is a nicer establishment with a fun atmosphere (your typical Friday's or OUtback restaurants). Definately more if it's a nicer restaurant than that. Also, the going rate of 2xs the average price for two people to eat there is a good way of doing it too and is how Jim Pace recommends in his guidebook to restaurant work.
Dennis Michael.
View Profile
Regular user
Denver, CO
103 Posts

Profile of Dennis Michael.
Joculari,

Will this be an on-going gig? They want you back you've said but how often and for how long? Those would be my first questions. If it is on-going then the suggested rates above sound like a good starting point. If not then you need to charge more for the booking. You also haven't mentioned gratuities (tips)

As far as the birthday party question..

Party for kids? How old? (fire and knives can be scary or even uninteresting to some ages. Material you do in the restaurant (or even on the street) doesn't always translate to a party venue. Your best bet will be to check out some of the other threads in the Café about performing for kids.

Sounds like you still have a few things to learn yet. I can only wish you luck in the process.

Dennis
I'm Back

Dennis Michael
Denver Colorado
Dynamike
View Profile
Eternal Order
FullTimer
24148 Posts

Profile of Dynamike
Quote:
I usually charge somewhere in between $80 and $120 depending on how long I have to be there

Do you charge that much for 1-hour, 2-hours, or for a night gig?

And do you mean for restaurants you perform at weekly?
KirkG
View Profile
Inner circle
1391 Posts

Profile of KirkG
Working for restaurants is predicated on repeat work each week, 1-3 nights at each restaurant. The premise is that this exposes you to people so you can afford to charge less, because you are in effect subsidising your advertising budget. You pass out cards and always are free not to work the restaurant when you book a conflicting show. Professionals always arrange to have anther magician cover the restaurant as a matter of customer service.

If you are only booking one event, it is a show and show prices apply. In my discussions with professional magicians, in the LA area, $50.00 an hour is the average with show costing $350 to $500 with $400 being the average. This doesn't take into account travel time, extended hours, breaks, tips, meals etc. All of the above need to be considered for each gig.

Kirk
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Table hoppers & party strollers » » A matter of payment (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL