The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The side walk shuffle » » Planning on busking in Central Park (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

abracadanny
View Profile
New user
69 Posts

Profile of abracadanny
Hi all,
I have been working on a show to do for busking in The Park for the first time for a while. I have read some books on it, Made a show for the street, Practiced it a lot. But now I am deciding when I should do it. I wanted to try it out over the summer but it didn't work out. Now that is winter I don't know wether I should wait until spring or If Winter will work as well. How much bigger of a crowd will I get if I do it in the winter vs. summer? Will the crowd leave earlier if it is in the winter?

Also, I am still working on how to pull in the initial crowd. Can I have some lines. and tips to do so.
Gary T.
View Profile
Veteran user
375 Posts

Profile of Gary T.
The easiest way to know weither or not it's too cold is to go out and see, just try it and see if it works. you'll probably be able to tell before you even set up. as for pulling in the initial crowd I would personally suggest just watching people, and trying to stop groups of at least two people, the reason being if you stop only one it looks more personal, but if you stop two or more it looks more like a crowd and other people are more likely to stop. otherwise you can try just yelling something... I believe I've seen videos where Jimmy Talksalot simply bangs his wand on the ground and yells "WATCH THE STICK!" and he makes his living at this, so that works as well, take your pick. but your first trick needs to be really visual and fast to get people to really stop and not just pass by. get out there and give it a go, and have fun.
abracadanny
View Profile
New user
69 Posts

Profile of abracadanny
Thanks Gary!
Gary T.
View Profile
Veteran user
375 Posts

Profile of Gary T.
No problem
abracadanny
View Profile
New user
69 Posts

Profile of abracadanny
I am not very familiar with the park so I Have a couple more questions. Where would be a good place to busk for the first time. I don't know where in the park are know as the paces for buskers to perform. Do I want to try to stay away from where there are already magicians. Also I know you don't need a permit but what should I do if a cop stops me?
Bobert
View Profile
New user
Stephenville TX
88 Posts

Profile of Bobert
Hey Abracadanny,
It is techinally the offseason for most buskers here in NY. However this is not to say that you can't still go out and do it. If I was you I would wait for a somewhat warmer sunny day with little wind. Go out and give it a shot. There are quite a few good places to go in central park. The mall and infront of the zoo are to classic pitches for a list of other good places send me a pm and I'll tell you where I've tried. As for being hassled by the police that has happened to me only once in the two years I've been in the park. It was a rookie cop who didn't actually know the rules his superiors straightened it out I wasn't bothered again. If you really want to get daring and just see what you can do you could always head down to Times Square on any evening(weather permitting) and just go for it. It is a much harder pitch to work and there is more regulation but it will atleast get you started. PM me if you have any questions and give me a shout out when you think you may head out. If I can I'll come out and see what you got,
Fat Hats
Bobert
magic123
View Profile
Loyal user
273 Posts

Profile of magic123
Every now and again ther are performers in central park, someone at the magic shop said Jeff Sheridan was performing there in Sept
Is he the magician that helped write Chris Angles street magic show ?
Pokie-Poke
View Profile
Special user
Bensalem, PA
883 Posts

Profile of Pokie-Poke
The se corner of the park is the "children's" section, the zoo, play grounds, ice skating, all close so kids don't have to walk far.
it is not the cops but the parks department that should scare you. they have a badge and failed the psyke test to be a cop.
I started in this park and love it, not for the fat hats but for the fact that I grew up there. (and at times fat hats) it has it's own vibe and that vibe will change from one part to another, time of day and time of the year.
don't look for the hats in the winter, mostly locals, tourists bring in more, but venture out less if it is cold.
other parts...
Columbus circle
72 st transverse
poet's walk was ok for a while, but then they had construction. (long ago) and haven't bin back to see.
this is old advice from an old busker who is forever homesick for the way it was, so YMMV.
www.pokie-poke.com
The Adventure cont...
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The side walk shuffle » » Planning on busking in Central Park (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL