The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Magical Accessories » » Great Scott's Table-Hopper's Friend (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3
slyhand
View Profile
Inner circle
Good ole Virginia
1908 Posts

Profile of slyhand
Someone above mentioned a THF companion. What is that?
I am getting so tired of slitting the throats of people who say that I am a violent psychopath.

Alec
Scott F. Guinn
View Profile
Inner circle
"Great Scott!" aka "Palms of Putty" & "Poof Daddy G"
6586 Posts

Profile of Scott F. Guinn
That was a deal I made with a tabletop manufacturer, but the deal fell through. At this time, there is no THF companion.
"Love God, laugh more, spend more time with the ones you love, play with children, do good to those in need, and eat more ice cream. There is more to life than magic tricks." - Scott F. Guinn
My Lybrary Page
Scott F. Guinn
View Profile
Inner circle
6586 Posts

Current run is sold out, and I don't know when or if I'll make any more. If you're looking for something like this, Jim Pace sells an item that is similar in use, but is made differently. Jim's a good guy and he puts out good stuff. You can get it here:

http://www.jimpacemagic.com/apps/webstor......w/419016
"Love God, laugh more, spend more time with the ones you love, play with children, do good to those in need, and eat more ice cream. There is more to life than magic tricks." - Scott F. Guinn
My Lybrary Page
Steve Hook
View Profile
Inner circle
Raleigh, NC, USA
1266 Posts

Profile of Steve Hook
Jim's "flat top" looks way too small for a lot of routines.

Perhaps you'll get more THFs made one day, Scott?
Like Bonnie Raitt said, "I miss Little Feat more than I miss being 8 years old." Thanks for the concerts + recordings, Lowell, Richie, and Paul!
Scott F. Guinn
View Profile
Inner circle
6586 Posts

I make them from time to time in small runs as interest dictates. I think Jim's item is good, although it xcomes in the size it comes in, and is certainly not as stout as the THF. It is, however, much less expensive, and will work for basic card and coin work. I have set a 16 pound bowling bowl on a top supported by the THF and it doesn't wobble even a little.

So yes, if ten or fifteen people wanted to buy a THF, I'd have another run made. The issue is simply this: I am not a manufacturing business and I do not have the funds to make a big run of these and keep them in stock, hoping that eventually they will all sell. But if a samll group of people are willing to order some, I can have them made, as their pre-orders allow me to pay for the materials and the workers involved.
My Lybrary Page
Magiguy
View Profile
Inner circle
Seattle, WA
5472 Posts

Profile of Magiguy
I was one of the lucky 15 on this round. I received my THF this afternoon, and it is an absolute work of beauty. Anyone interested would be well advised to organize a group of buyers willing to pre-purchase the lot and then beg Scott to make another batch.

Thanks, Scott!
Scott F. Guinn
View Profile
Inner circle
6586 Posts

Hey, thanks, I appreciate your recommendation, and I'm glad you're happy with your purchase. Now that you have yours, let me know how it works for in performance.
My Lybrary Page
Scott F. Guinn
View Profile
Inner circle
6586 Posts

I've had a handful of guys express an interest in the THF. If another half dozen were willing to pre-order, I'd make another run. Post here or PM me if interested.
My Lybrary Page
slyhand
View Profile
Inner circle
Good ole Virginia
1908 Posts

Profile of slyhand
I received mine a few weeks ago and finally got a surface together to attach to it.

I tried it out two nights ago at a KoC gathering that had a number of tables with different thicknesses. It work great.
Before I started I did a table check to make sure it was adjusted correctly for the majority of the tables. I walked up to the first table and it hooked up in half a second. I found it to be very stable with no fear of it moving or slipping.

I used it for everything I would normally do with the mat on the table. It unhooked just as quick as the hook-up. The fourth table was thicker than the first three and it took about 3 seconds to adjust it properly. Also at that table I noticed spilled coke and pizza leavings where my mat would normally be. Since I needed only an inch or so of table I was able to keep my case clean.

I used a silverware case for my surface so I can store stuff in it to keep my pockets free for more important things. I also put a magnetic latch on the inside to keep it from opening up while I carried the THF around.

The THF worked perfectly. I am very happy with it.

The only thing I would do different is possibly use a larger surface next time I am inclined to be creative.

Thanks Scott!
I am getting so tired of slitting the throats of people who say that I am a violent psychopath.

Alec
Scott F. Guinn
View Profile
Inner circle
6586 Posts

Than YOU, Alec! I'm glad you find the THF useful and are satisfied with your purchase.
My Lybrary Page
Scott F. Guinn
View Profile
Inner circle
6586 Posts

Need about 4 more people to make a run of these. If interested, PM or post here. Price will be $49.99 postpaid in the USA.
My Lybrary Page
Scott F. Guinn
View Profile
Inner circle
6586 Posts

Looks like there just isn't enough interest at this time to move forward with another run.
My Lybrary Page
Scott F. Guinn
View Profile
Inner circle
6586 Posts

These are back in production at a new lower price! Only $44.99, and in stock!

http://www.scottfguinn.com/otheritems.asp
My Lybrary Page
davidpaul$
View Profile
Inner circle
Georgetown, South Carolina
3094 Posts

Profile of davidpaul$
Geeez! I paid around $95.00 bucks for mine when they first came out. OUCH!!
Guilt will betray you before technique betrays you!
Scott F. Guinn
View Profile
Inner circle
6586 Posts

Hi David,

I explained the reason for the pricing in another thread, but...

When these first came out, there were a couple of factors involved: there was a steel shortage, so the price of steel was very high--China was buying up all the USA's steel, and it was next to impossible to get it--kinda like when the real estate market peaked a couple of years ago. Dave Travers, the metalworker who makes these for me now (my design, but he does the actual manufacturing) now has his own shop on his own property, and he found a supplier who sells us the necessary steel at a significantly reduced rate. As a result of the lower cost of steel and everything set up in Dave's shop with no one else messing with / readjusting the machinery, etc, my costs have gone down.

When I first started manufacturing these, my brother-in law and I did each one by hand and ordered steel in small quantities and the other part in small quantities. My cost per unit was over twice what it is now, plus shipping and packaging. Obviously, I couldn't very well sell the thing for $45 then. As a matter of fact, for a year or so there, I would have had to sell these for over $100 each to make any money off them. That's why I quit making them altogether for a while.

Then Dave came along and costs went down somewhat, but because he still had to use someone else's shop and machines, and the cost of steel skyrocketed, I still had to sell them for about $60 + shipping.

Now that Dave's got his own shop and equipment and the price of steel has dropped, I can sell them for a lower price. My profit margin is smaller, but I wanted to make them available to those in the community who wanted them. Since my cost per unit has dropped considerably, he price I charge per unit reflects that. I could have kept the price the same with no one being the wiser, but that's not how I do business.

I hope that explains things.
My Lybrary Page
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Magical Accessories » » Great Scott's Table-Hopper's Friend (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.04 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL