The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » We double dare you! » » Created a levitation and would love some feedback (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

MOJave
View Profile
New user
95 Posts

Profile of MOJave
Hi guys,

I've been into magic for the past 7 months now and I've been fooling around with levitation and have come up with a "new" effect/technique. I'm not sure if it's ever been done before, but the professionals at my local magic club have said they have never seen anyone do anything like it.

It's a levitation of a card or other object 10 cm above my hand completely impromptu, able to do it any where any time, wearing anything, with no setup. Obviously I can't go into the details of the working, but is there anywhere I could find out if certain techniques or methods have been previously published?? Some of the magicians in my local club have whispered in my ear that I could probably sell the secret, and I've already been offered $200 by a non-magician, which I refused.

http://members.iinet.net.au/~chrisb1/stuff/levitation.avi

Any help… and feedback would be grateful, as I am still new to magic. Smile
Be Entertained...
www.christopherbisset.com.au
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27300 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
There is some feedback on the secret sessions forum already.

As things stand the levitation looks a lot like something people have been doing with a loop of I*. Though that method is far from impromptu unless your sweater is made of unusually fine silk. Smile

The basic effect has been around since the Kaps floating cork routine made it to America back in 1976.

If you have a truly impromptu method... folks are gonna be excited about it.
...to all the coins I've dropped here
Reis O'Brien
View Profile
Inner circle
Seattle, WA
2467 Posts

Profile of Reis O'Brien
Well, IMHO, I think it looks great. I don't know about how original it is, some of these older guys may have seen the method before, but to me it was sweet.

I think I see your method (I could be wrong) and I can also see where you would run into problems of how impromptu it is, but with a little preparation, this is a doozy!

Good show!

Here's a doughnut!---> Smile
Homo vult decipi; decipiatur

http://www.myspace.com/liar_4_hire
MOJave
View Profile
New user
95 Posts

Profile of MOJave
Firedice, cheers for your feedback Smile.

JonTown, I as yet can't get into the secret forums page so would you be kind enough to paraphrase the feedback from there? Smile Thanks guys
Be Entertained...
djvirtualreality
View Profile
Inner circle
MayfieldNew York
1347 Posts

Profile of djvirtualreality
To sum it up, most people there think it is the Real Floating Card from expertmagic.com . They believe if it is truly impromptu(No setup) then you have something great. Smile
Life is an illusion, death is reality.
MOJave
View Profile
New user
95 Posts

Profile of MOJave
I'm just after e-mailing Eric from expert magic and recieved a reply. It does look similar to his real floating card, but were going to compare notes as I think my technique is different to his.

There IS a setup, but its in the morning before you start your day, then you can do it any time anywhere with no setup and no reset.
Be Entertained...
jascx
View Profile
New user
11 Posts

Profile of jascx
Hi Mojave - that looks pretty darn good to me. It's certainly a better effect than a lot of the commercial stuff I've seen (or bought). It's pretty wierd that out of more than a hundred people viewing your effect only three have bothered to say anything -- at least in a forum where you could read it. I imagine half of them are too busy figuring a way to duplicate it. Smile
jimisolo
View Profile
Regular user
League City, TX
110 Posts

Profile of jimisolo
Mojave, nice job. I, too, would be interested in finding out if this ends up being an original effect or not. If so, and there really is "no setup", then I think people would be crazy to not be interested.

Don't despair though. Even if it does end up being the Kaps method (or some other method that's already on the market), take comfort in the fact that you came up with it all on your own and did a really fine job with it. Smile

My 2,

Rob
Aperazor
View Profile
Loyal user
Akron,Ohio
244 Posts

Profile of Aperazor
Looks very nice,
Congratulations.
I'm easily impressed but I was impressed.
Thanks for sharing
Nick Zender
Dan Monroe
View Profile
Loyal user
Indiana
209 Posts

Profile of Dan Monroe
Looks good to me! Smile
The power is within us all...I'm just a little more full of it.
danmonroe.bravehost.com
m.s.magic
View Profile
Regular user
England-newcastle-
105 Posts

Profile of m.s.magic
If its true you will be scraping in the money Smile
What is real and what is an illusion ? it all depends on your perception, reality is only limited by the boundries of the imagination, and imagination can defy the laws of everything - Criss Angel
tpdmagic
View Profile
Elite user
459 Posts

Profile of tpdmagic
I don't know how old you are but you have impressed me with what you are doing. Not so much as for the magic (it does look good) but more with your ethics. There are a lot professional magicians that just put stuff out to make quick buck and don't do the research that is needed to make it theirs. There are tons and tons of tricks on the market that are not original but they are claiming it as theirs. Lazy, lack of research and possibly flat out ripped off. You on the other hand are doing the right thing by finding out if it is original and if you are truly the inventor. Cheers as I applaud you for keeping to the ethics of our art...

tpdmagic Smile
ashah
View Profile
Elite user
474 Posts

Profile of ashah
Wow, that's pretty cool.

Setup is in the morning before you start your day, you say. Interesting.

I second the thoughts of tpdmagic. Good work.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » We double dare you! » » Created a levitation and would love some feedback (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL