The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Floating small object (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

funnybusiness
View Profile
New user
UK
66 Posts

Profile of funnybusiness
What is the best ways to learn how to make a small object float?? Are there any recommended books or videos, which teach you how to use IT or sort? Smile
Paul Menzel
View Profile
Special user
Boise, Idaho
530 Posts

Profile of Paul Menzel
Yep. Who's Afraid of IT (spelled out)? by Jon LeClair. The video is now available on DVD. And Michael Ammar has a three volume DVD set on the subject.

Those are two popular resources and there are others as well.
wulfiesmith
View Profile
Inner circle
Beverley, UK
1339 Posts

Profile of wulfiesmith
There are other alternatives out there to levitate items, small, or large, i.e. the "Levitator", the "Hummingbird", or "Stealth R*****s for example (if we are into abbreviations), plus, of course IT for cards.
mmm…

regards, Wulfie
funnybusiness
View Profile
New user
UK
66 Posts

Profile of funnybusiness
Which one is better do you think?? Ammar's DVD or Jon LeClair’s?? Smile

Alternatively, are there any books that involve this subject?? Smile

Apart from using IT, is there anything that can make small objects float?? I've heard people saying they use something called loops. What is it?? And how is it different from IT?? Smile

Does the loops thing really exist?? Smile
erictan8888
View Profile
Special user
Singapore
517 Posts

Profile of erictan8888
Hi,

When I do the IT tricks, which do you think is the best color for the shirt? I sometimes notice that when I wear certain colored shirts, the IT becomes more visible. Do you all have this problem?

Thanks,
eric Smile
"Fill you life with magic by making magic a part of your life." by eric tan.
Paul Menzel
View Profile
Special user
Boise, Idaho
530 Posts

Profile of Paul Menzel
I have the LeClair video, not Ammar's. LeClair's focuses on various applications for one hook-up system (the LeClair Animator). Ammar's series covers a much broader spectrum, including reels and a number of hook-ups. If you are truly interested in pursuing this avenue and have the money to spend on it, you'll get more from Ammar. If you want to determine whether or not it is really for you and prefer spending less for something that works quite well, LeClair provides a nice starting point--and materials are included. I'd suggest beginning with LeClair.
funnybusiness
View Profile
New user
UK
66 Posts

Profile of funnybusiness
Eric, I think some sort of the IT require you to wear black shirt in order to become invisible. I’m not 100% sure but I was told by my local magician. Smile

Thanks for your advice Paul. I think I will go for the LeClair's DVD. Smile
Jason Fleming
View Profile
Veteran user
Marooned, Hawaii
374 Posts

Profile of Jason Fleming
You won't be disappointed.
Smile Smile Smile
GFord
View Profile
New user
Washington DC
53 Posts

Profile of GFord
The 2 most important things with IT (or with any other magical methods and effects for that matter) is (1) to play with it. Experiment with different hook ups; thread lengths, clothing, lighting etc. The more that you do this the more experience you will gain and the more you will learn.
(2) Presentation. Work with various presentations - always keeping in mind what things will look like and feel like for your audience. Best of luck!
--GF
AutoX
View Profile
New user
British Columbia
59 Posts

Profile of AutoX
Steve Fearson's Cigarette Floating video, and his Area 51 video are excellent for learning how to float small objects. (Personally I don't smoke but hey, go poison your body.) He teaches the cheapest way to get IT and how to use it effectively.
Dynamike
View Profile
Eternal Order
FullTimer
24148 Posts

Profile of Dynamike
If you are truly interested in using IT, go with Michael Ammar's 3 videos. They do give good info.
funnybusiness
View Profile
New user
UK
66 Posts

Profile of funnybusiness
But what is a loop??? Smile

Are the loops similar to IT? So, can I learn how to use the loops in LeClair's “Who's afraid of IT” or Ammar's DVD???
pbg739
View Profile
Veteran user
San Jose, Ca
340 Posts

Profile of pbg739
Loops are a more portable version of IT, that allow different kinds of effects, and streamline the handling very well. Some of this is in the LeClair Animator demo if I'm not mistaken. I have not purchased either video, but like others mention I recommend playing. Steve Fearson does offer some ideas, but as Ammar is becoming the all-encompassing professor I would suggest you go with those DVDs.

Peace,
Pete
Bill Beach
View Profile
Veteran user
Nashville, TN
304 Posts

Profile of Bill Beach
Jon LeClair does not cover loops in either his book or video/DVD. His IT hook-up is completely different.

Ammar does discuss Finn Jon's Elastic Loops in Vol. 1 of his thread series Videos/DVDs.

Bill Beach
Digital Backlot
View Profile
Regular user
So. Cali
115 Posts

Profile of Digital Backlot
Is there a site that shows off hookups for free? I doubt it, but just wondering.
Joel Payne
CEO 3D Filmmakers
www.DigitalBacklot.com
funnybusiness
View Profile
New user
UK
66 Posts

Profile of funnybusiness
Ii was suggested by my local magician not to play with IT unless I really have too. He said there are many restrictions in using IT, no matter how invisible the thread is. He also said most magician using IT tend to do it on stage. It is very difficult to use IT in real close situation. What do you say? Smile
Eirik
View Profile
Special user
Oslo
879 Posts

Profile of Eirik
Hi funnybusiness,
I belive thread work is on of the most memorable things you can do for laymen, but there are many conditions to consider, like hook-ups, audience management, routines and perhaps the most important thing: lighting conditions, some can be a "killer" to thread work.

But if you are fortunate to perform in dim lighting conditions you can perform close,close-up..

Loops are a great resource to, there has been a lot of threads on this subject, so do a search - if you don't find anything please PM me..

-e-
...As long as i`m not a world-champion at anything, the great reactions of doin` magic will do just fine.....
kihei kid
View Profile
Inner circle
Dog House
1039 Posts

Profile of kihei kid
Michael Ammars "Easy to Master Thread Miracles" gets my vote.
In loving memory of Hughie Thomasson 1952-2007.

You brought something beautiful to this world, you touched my heart, my soul and my life. You will be greatly missed.

Until we meet again “my old friend”.
Silvester
View Profile
New user
53 Posts

Profile of Silvester
When I practise with IT, I really cant see it! or I can see it hardly

I'm quite to it work and only performed floating dollar bill once for one person, but he was astonished!

if you are sure that you hit the right moment doing your magic, then do it. it will be great Smile
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Floating small object (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL