The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Stupid Slow (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

satellite23
View Profile
Elite user
424 Posts

Profile of satellite23
Today I was once again thinking about how far I've come in my performance style since I began a couple of years ago. I can't recall exactly what caused me to think about this, but I remembered something from when I first began lectoring in front of the entire congregation on Sunday Masses.

One time, a person said, "Keep it stupid slow." Essentially, that meant that I should read slow enough and enunciate my words so that people in the back of the room could hear me and people in front could enjoy the reading as well.

As I thought about this today, I realized that I have subconsciously worked that tip into my performance style. I like to go slow enough that people understand what I'm doing. Instead of rushing from trick to trick, I slow it down, tell a joke or two, pause, whatever to let the effect sink in. It works.

I wanted to post this into the New section because all new magicians should take this advice. When you're starting out, don't learn as many card tricks as you can from YouTube. Don't rush around and fumble around with your props. Don't let people misunderstand you. Don't get a full head of steam when you're performing for somebody. Just don't.

Instead, stay humble. Only perform a trick for somebody if they ask you. Slow down your routine and feed off the energy of the last, mind-blowing effect you just performed. Once you get good, those mind-blowing effects will lead to applause, and you don't want to rush past that.

And certainly don't rush ahead of yourself and claim to be the best magician on the planet.

Keep it slow. It'll work.
Jack Crafter
View Profile
New user
Kent, England
62 Posts

Profile of Jack Crafter
Thanks for the post Satellite Smile. I used to be a door to door salesman when I was younger (good times. Good, strange times) and it was always remarkable how much of a difference little things like that could make to how people react to you. I've always spoken too quickly, so I had to try and speak at a speed that felt uncomfortably slow in order to end up about right. Completely forgot about that, so thanks for the reminding me to include things like that while performing!
Jedo
View Profile
New user
57 Posts

Profile of Jedo
Nice post satellite23 really enjoyed reading your thought. You are completly right and I ll try to keep it in mind when doing Magic.
robinsonm
View Profile
New user
70 Posts

Profile of robinsonm
I think that being a master with your voice and words is almost better than at being a 100% at an effect. And really you will never be 100% at an effect. there can always be something that messes stuff up.
bowers
View Profile
Inner circle
Oakboro N.C.
7024 Posts

Profile of bowers
A valuable lessen learned satellite.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Stupid Slow (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL